Mailing Tropical Freshwater Fish? Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking to mail a few fish from Ohio (moderate climate) to Arizona. I've already looked up guides for packaging freshwater fish and the materials/boxes needed. I already plan to pay for overnight shipping and I know not to feel my fish for at least 24 hours prior to the day of shipping.

Now my problem. Do I use cold packs or no temperature packs at all? It's summer now and the fish will be arriving in Arizona, with temperatures well above 100 degrees almost every day. I don't know if I should include cold packs as for 2/3 of their journey they will be in regular temperatures and not exposed to severe cold. 

Secondly, can anyone recommend a good mailing service for me? I've read mixed reviews about Fedex and UPS and would like a bit of advice on who to choose. 

The fish I am mailing go as follows.

1 three inch Albino Bristlenose pleco
1 Four inch Angelfish
2 Black Kholi Loaches, 4 inches
1 two inch zebra danio

I plan to bag them separately and pack in the same box according to instructions given to me in various guides. They all live in a communal tank and require the same temperature and water parameters. My fish are healthy and established in their tank and fed a healthy variety of food. They are not sick and have had no recent medications applied to them for any reason. 

I just want to make sure my fish have the best chances of being shipped comfortably and safely. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back