Mac

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i do not understand. What do you mean you can't install anything? I just installed printer software. I plan on buying some games. You have to install those. i really don't know what you mean. Could you give me an example? It is not that the mac is less powerful, it just uses the same amount as a smaller processor or screen, or whatever you like because it is more energy efficient.

You don't install anything on a mac... they all live as stand alone files...
You install drivers if that's what you're describing?

And again with the tarring with the same brush. Macs aren't more energy effecient...they're more energy efficient than SOME pcs. Plenty of energy efficient bits of hardware are available nowadays. For examples my OH's pcs is a beast of a pc and frankly should drain the city of it's electricity when he turns it on but it's super efficient cause he picked energy efficient bits.
Old cheap pcs/laptops aren't like that. And by cheap I mean a cheap brand/low quality brand. Not say a cheap laptop of a good brand.

Just thought of a good way to explain, have you ever used a program like daemon tools that create virtual drives? You use virtual drives to load things like ISO's and then the PC loads them like they would a CD into a CD Drive.
The MAC is basically like daemon tools in this way in that you don't install anything. You just tell it to open the base file after it's been placed in the 'install' directory.

So to 'un install' you just delete from the 'install' directory. You don't actually install or un install anything in the conventional sense... hope that makes sense. I'm not exactly fantastic at explaining.

This could help if I just confused you further...
How to install on a mac
For PC users making the switch to Macintosh computers, installing a new program can be confusing. The confusion exists because in Mac OS X most applications (the Mac equivalent of programs) must be manually placed into the appropriate folder to be considered installed.

I understand what you are saying. But is it a bad thing? I don't see it as so. I think all computers should do that. It makes more sense to me.

You mean other than the fact that macs need to be different means alot of really good programs don't work on it?

Well there is also the fact the average mac application is 3x larger than it's windows counterpart. And yet hard drives on a mac cost more per GB than in an average PC.

And a side note... mac doesn't support adobe flash player which I think is just silly.

It's one of those things, I don't see why apple has to be soooo different... It's like with my ford ka... every normal car has a normal glove box that is a decent size and you can fit loadsa stuff in. This works well, so why the heck did they decide to do this...
ford-ka-2003-113-1632.jpg

^^ See the funny little glasses case sized hump on the left? That's our 'glove box', it barely fits a pair of gloves nevermind anything else.

And on the new ka they decided to move the gearstick so it points out at you from the middle set of controls...
2009-Ford-Ka-interior.jpg

I can't see any logic behind it other than they wanted to be a bit different...lol.

I'd imagine there are longer load times for mac applications in comparison to their PC equivalents on a same spec fresh build pc. That's speculation though... so don't quote me on it. :)

It's a trade off though isn't it. You can't install on a mac meaning you can't mess any system files up or fill it with randoms bits n pieces left over from 'that game you installed then got bored of' or 'that no cd key you though was worth trying' etc. So it should never need re-formatting.
But at the same time, a PC shouldn't end up needing reformatting, just some people don't know how to use them in such a way they don't need formatting. At the end of the day though re-formatting is a 10-20minutes job max, you back up what you want (which is a good idea with any computer of course, any hard drive can fail!) and then you pop the windows CD in and click through the steps. And voila, fresh install of windows with no bits n pieces of old programs on it.
10-20mins every couple of years for some people is a fair trade off in my eyes when you take into account the cost difference in the first place.

this has been a great read. and so typical of the arguments all over the place about macs vs pcs.

the funny thing is, everyone is right and no one wants to admit the opposing side has a point.

let me just say, I'm a mac person, I'm still using 10.4 because i've had no reason to upgrade.

on the reliability issue, hardware, if anything i've had more trouble with my mac than I ever had with a pc, mainly because a power surge managed to blow up a capacitor on a PSU board, but i've never had to worry about things like that with a pc, but with software, I've only ever had 1 program crash my mac, and it was MS messenger. which really shouldn't have done, I run Logic Studio 2, with no problems, I run photoshop, illustrator, aperture etc, and nothing gives my mac trouble. on a windows machine, It tends to have off days where it just doesn't want to run certain bits of software.

no good software for a mac? thats a load of rubbish, theres plenty of great software, in fact show me where i can find logic or pro tools for windows....

no installation... okay, for most stuff you're right, no proper installation, BUT some things do need installing (usually if they need access to system files) but this also means that you can effectively "install" your software on any old drive, from flash drives, to external hard drives. meaning the comparison of hard drive space is useless since you don't need to install the software onto the internal drive. I've got a 1T drive attached to mine, and run software from that. the interior hard drive doesn't need to be used that much.

But why choose a mac over a PC?
firstly software choice, the software i can get on a mac is better for me than i can get on a windows machine
secondly, simplicity, the GUI is so nice and smooth and simple compared to the windows GUI. at least, I personally prefer it (I also know others who don't like it)
Thirdly, style, my computer isn't just a grey box in the room, it's a part of the furniture. this isn't too important really, and some people may ignore it, but if the other 2 are a draw and the money isn't a worry, it's something to think about.

the funny thing is, everyone is right and no one wants to admit the opposing side has a point.

I can't speak for everyone but that's certainly not true of me. My point has been clear, macs aren't bombproof (as many people like to suggest). And PC's aren't just waiting to crash and/or freezer and get infected with viruses.

You can get the equivalent specs of a mac in a PC for much cheaper, and you can get ones that look nice.

In short, unless you specifically want/need mac software or specifically want a mac because you... like how they look/to show off. Then you shouldn't be ruling out a PC because they are the devil spawn of the computer world :lol: Equally I wouldn't tell someone to buy a PC and run a mac emulator on it if they needed lots of apple software.

you can effectively "install" your software on any old drive
No... you can copy and paste it onto any old drive just like I could with the installer of any windows file... You wouldn't be able to run your file unless you plugged it into a mac (not that I could run my windows application on anything other than a pc). But I'm just saying... it's no different in any way to me copying all my cds onto a USB or external hard drive.

But why choose a mac over a PC?
firstly software choice, the software i can get on a mac is better for me than i can get on a windows machine
secondly, simplicity, the GUI is so nice and smooth and simple compared to the windows GUI. at least, I personally prefer it (I also know others who don't like it)
Thirdly, style, my computer isn't just a grey box in the room, it's a part of the furniture. this isn't too important really, and some people may ignore it, but if the other 2 are a draw and the money isn't a worry, it's something to think about.
Just out of interest have you looked into the equivalent software options for a PC? (Ie. asked someone experienced in your field who uses a pc what they use?)
Have you used windows 7? If you particularly like the GUI of the mac then you'd like windows 7
If you think PCs only have to be a grey box in a room then you haven't looked very far into it. You can get nice looking PC's and monitors, equally you can get nice looking laptops.

I'm actually very open to macs, and the day I actually need/want some mac software I would obviously buy one (wouldn't look forward to learning all the stupid 'gestures' though :sick: ... point and click... seriously what made them think that needed to change?).

That post was written on a pc running windows 7. And no I don't like it. It's a vast improvement over vista or even xp, but it's still not how I like it.

And yes you can put things on an external drive and plug it on, but the point is because softwaredoesnt need installing properly like with windows, you van store those apps however you like. As I said a lot of mine run on an external drive. Yes itneeds to be plugged into a mac, that has no bearing on my point. I was merely defending the process apple chose for installing apps, and pointing out that because of that you aren't stuck paying a fortune for hard drive space.

As for the software. There are equivalents to pretty much everything. Instead of aperture I could run adobe lightroom, at over double the price and with a GUI I don't personally like. Instead of logic I could use Cubase (which I can't stand). Or some of the pyramix stuff. But I find the way logic works is perfect for me, i even prefer it to the "industry standard" protools.

And point and click is very much how they work. Yes you CAN get a tablet and learn gestures for things, you CAN turn on voice control. But you don't have to do either. I have a couple of hot corners set up. So putting the mouse brings up some other little apps (calculator convertor and bits, the top right corner shows me all the open windows so I can click on the one I want, but these aren't gestures. For all intents and purposes you click an icon and the app loads then you use it same as you would with windows.

Earlier in the thread there was the issue with cutting and pasting, I've never had a problem with it. Command and x does it every time. Then command and v to paste. Just like with windows (except you use the command key instead of cntrl). No right click? 3 options there, first click and hold, command and click, or plug in a mouse with more buttons.

Hmm, I figured mac users probably would quite like windows 7. As a PC person I've not been a massive fan of xp then vista, but it was either that or linux realistically.
I'm very happy with windows 7 though.

As for the gestures, I meant on the touch mouse where it's both a normal mouse and then can have loads of random gestures applied. *shudders*. It resulted in lots of windows and such randomly opening and closing.

And actually the software points your making prooves my point, it's not that the equivalent software (that is presumably just as good), isn't available to you. It's just that you personally don't like it/didn't take to it. But plenty of other people will.

Kind of, like lightroom is a brilliant piece of software, yes it's just my preference. But for audio, if you want to work with pro stuff, 90% of pro studios use pro tools as software of choice. So you need to be able to work with pro tools files. Which logic can. Protools and logic are both mac only. Sure you can choose something windows based but when you do you close off mixing work where tracking was done using protools. And that is effectively saying you don't want the business.

Plus cubase may be great when dealing with midi stuff, but it's still far too diddly for extended periods dealing with audio (but it's getting better). Pyramix I haven't used but it's around triple the price of setting up a full protools system. Which kinda saves you more than the extra money you spend on the mac to start with.

If you don't like gestures, use a normal mouse. I personally have a 2 button rollerball mouse, and a small wacom tablet.

I am ordering my Macbook Pro this week. I have been saving up for 1 year, and I am completely excited. Now, I was told my some people that I know, that it is possible to install their Microsoft word onto my Mac, without me having to buy a new copy. Is that possible? And if so, how do I do it? They are so expensive any savings will help.

untrue!

office for mac's

What do you mean "untrue" you twit. I said they could but would need a mac compatible version which is what you posted up. Read a post before you answer!

@curiosity101

Mac Os X is a much better operating system, it does not have registries therefore can't be attacked by viruses..
Windows 7 is a straight copy of the GUI(Graphical User Interface)
there has been studies showing that Mac OS X is one of the easiest operating systems for a person to learn how to use.
if you are running intense programs like Non linear video editing programs you will need a mac for a superior performance.

if you ask any professional, any one in a creative industries 9 out of 10 will have a mac..
I wonder why?

Mac Os X is a much better operating system, it does not have registries therefore can't be attacked by viruses..

Macs can be attacked by viruses, not having a registry does not prevent viruses and the mac OS is certainly not as secure as some would like to think either.
The main reason why there aren't many viruses for macs is simply not that many people use them compared to pc's. Macs users should use anti-virus such as clamAV instead of adopting the usual herd mentality.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back