Mac

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
I am ordering my Macbook Pro this week. I have been saving up for 1 year, and I am completely excited. Now, I was told my some people that I know, that it is possible to install their Microsoft word onto my Mac, without me having to buy a new copy. Is that possible? And if so, how do I do it? They are so expensive any savings will help.

I am ordering my Macbook Pro this week. I have been saving up for 1 year, and I am completely excited. Now, I was told my some people that I know, that it is possible to install their Microsoft word onto my Mac, without me having to buy a new copy. Is that possible? And if so, how do I do it? They are so expensive any savings will help.

untrue!

office for mac's

Running PC versions on Macs is possible but you need to install emulation software which would allow the Mac to run a windows version in order to understand the PC coding, However this isn't always successful and IMO more hassle than its worth.

Running PC versions on Macs is possible but you need to install emulation software which would allow the Mac to run a windows version in order to understand the PC coding, However this isn't always successful and IMO more hassle than its worth.

You can do the above, however like the poster says I really wouldn't recommend it. The Office disc you have, if you have a disc that is, is specifically for the windows operating systems and wont be recognised on your mac.
You could install bootcamp and have a dual boot system, meaning when you start the system up you have a choice of booting into either OSX or Windows.
Your other option is to purchase a mac version of microsoft office but that would mean purchasing it all over again. I'm not too clued up on the licensing but it might be possible to trade in your windows license key for a mac version and pay a small fee for the disc to be sent to you but you'd have to call microsoft - that would mean that your windows office key would no longer be valid though. If you know a family member whose in school/college you could get a student license for Mac Office which would be much cheaper - or just buy one anyway:

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2008_for_Mac-b-details.aspx

Your other options are to use open source software such as Neo Office or Open Office which are pretty similar to Microsoft Office only slightly more basic in their features and functionality. They work pretty well, or so it appears with my limited experience of using them, and they can be opened by other people using microsoft office. However, and again in my experience, the formatting and such like can often go a bit squiff between versions but they're still well worth looking into and trying.

I must have misspoke. What I meant to say is, I was told I can take the MAC version and put it on my computer, even thought the software is designed for 1 computer. Like my youth pastor is taking his Mac on our mission trip next week and a guy is gonna do it for him, but with Final Cut Pro. My sister has the software for Microsoft, but I don't wanna have to buy another disc for it, If I can copy hers onto mine.

Ok, What 'I think' your asking is; can you install a copy of Mac Office using the same licensing code as your friend ?

Well physically yes you can, however if you use the same license key as opposed to buying your own license you are essentially using pirate software which is seen as copyright infringement; something that the relevant people are slowly starting to crack down heavily on atm.

As said above if you are in school/college you can get quite a good discount on student/teacher editions

Ok, What 'I think' your asking is; can you install a copy of Mac Office using the same licensing code as your friend ?

Well physically yes you can, however if you use the same license key as opposed to buying your own license you are essentially using pirate software which is seen as copyright infringement; something that the relevant people are slowly starting to crack down heavily on atm.

As said above if you are in school/college you can get quite a good discount on student/teacher editions

I am going to be a senior in Highschool. Where can I find a good discount? I looked on Amazon, and it's $119 for a copy. On apple.com it's $150. $119 is the cheapest I can find it.

Is there a particular version you are after?

This version is $73.99 atm
mac office 2004

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You know what the simple solution is right..?
Don't buy a mac :rolleyes: Overpriced highly restrictive rubbish...

:lol: Please don't take it personally, I do mean what I said and I do genuinely hate most apple branded software/hardware. But each to their own! :D I just think that if you're going to spend a decent amount of money on something you can get way way more for your money than apple will ever offer.

Just for the record (yes this is on the edge of being an anti-mac campaign... lol :blush: :blush: )

For the same price of the cheapest macbook - 13" $1199
Which come with...
13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4GB memory
250GB 5400-rpm hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MB DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

You could get... - Alienware M15x, 15" gaming laptop $1199
15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED
Intel® Core™ i3-350M 2.26GHz (3M cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
3GB1 Memory (1x 1GB, 1x 2GB1 DDR3)
250GB2 SATAII 7,200RPM
512MB1 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M

^^ Overall much better spec wise + dell support which means if it breaks in any way they pretty much come out and fix it the same day for free. Also it means that when support runs out and something breaks you don't have to go tail between your legs to apple and have them charge you an extortionate amount to fix it cause anyone can source the parts and anyone who is any good with computers can fix it!

*Rant over* I'll be quiet now :nod:

i knew they are expensive and a bit of a rip off but comparing those :eek:

thats pretty amazing lol

ash

For the same price of the cheapest macbook - 13" $1199
Which come with...
13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4GB memory
250GB 5400-rpm hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MB DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

You could get... - Alienware M15x, 15" gaming laptop $1199
15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED
Intel® Core™ i3-350M 2.26GHz (3M cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
3GB1 Memory (1x 1GB, 1x 2GB1 DDR3)
250GB2 SATAII 7,200RPM
512MB1 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M

Lol, And you know what, i'd pick the mac everytime,

IME the reason everyone is good at fixing pcs is because they've had so much practice fixing them, I've had both my iMac and my G4 notepad for 5 years now and they are still working as good as the day i brought them, In the same time period my pc has had to be reformatted 3 times and has had umteen problems and don't even get me started on viruses,

Also looking again at that comparison of the three main important components (memory,processor speed and hard drive capacity) they are pretty much equal, and if any the Mac is the slightly better of the two IMO,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back