Hi,

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <0.5
PH: 7.5 - 8.0
Temp: 26.5C
Tank: 44L
Water changes: 25% weekly
Chemicals: Liquid plant food weekly. Tap Safe every water change.
Fish: 5 cherry barbs, 2 small bristlenose plecos (going in a bigger tank in 3 months), 2 balloon rams

I think my balloon ram has 24 hours left if it's lucky.
I noticed yesterday it wasn't its usual self, even though all the other fish in the tank are fine. I had already done a 25% water change the day before, but I did another 25% water change for good measure when I noticed the sick ram. I have very hard water here in Yorkshire, my PH has always been on the high side usually 7.5, but it always seems stable. All water parameters were 'as usual'.

I purchased a pair of balloon rams 12 months ago and they have been very happy together, then for no apparent reason one of them died about 3 months ago. The remaining one was healthy but sulked terribly for weeks, hiding behind the filter at the back of the tank.

I purchased another, smaller, balloon ram to keep it company. After a few weeks they were both out and playing around as usual... everything seemed back to normal.

Then yesterday, my ram took ill. I have no idea why.

I've uploaded this from yesterday, I couldn't film it today because it's hiding at the back of the tank.
The ram can't swim well and tends to hide at the back of the tank.

I'm beginning to think bloodworms are NOT good for these balloon rams, I had a bad experience with worms before with some rams and never thought anything of it at the time. I don't feed live worm, I feed the mixed frozen ice cube bait so there are only a few worms in each portion.

Possibly its nothing to do with the food. 

http://youtu.be/gFV-w_8vE_w

Any recommendations other than praying?

Wait, here is the ram today: As you can see, I might aswell put it out its misery 
bye2.gif

http://youtu.be/pRjXJyBF8G0

Thanks
Danny

Sorry for your loss of one of your Balloon Rams :(

44l / 11.5 gal seems a little on small side for rams but since you had them over a year, would be unusual to see effects of that starting now after a year.
Temp is good, water parameters seems good.

PH a little on high side for rams but no major probs IMO.

How old were the Rams when you got them? Juveniles or adults?

Also, do they show signs of stress? Darker colour and possible 3 dark stripes on sides?

Bloodworm issues, well its possible be since I suspect I lost 2 threadfins shortly after feeding mini bloodworms but might have easily been something else. I've thrown out my frozen bloodworms as to element of doubt.

Difficult to be certain or advise in this situation as there's nothing to pinpoint exactly what the issue is.

Hope someone with experience if rams may have more ideas.

I guess it's one of those risks you take with fish that are severely inbred. Same reason why most guppies now are actually quite 'delicate', for want of a better word.

I believe that Balloon Rams are a mutation of German Blue Rams, which are known to be sensitive. I suspect that it is the prolonged effects of living in a pH which is a bit too high.

Most "softwater" fish can handle it OK, but GBRs are less tolerant.

That's interesting and good to know.

I thought, most fish would be able to adapt to higher pH levels but did not know if that does have an affect on them after a long term, but now it seem that is the case.

Is thus true for all or most 'delicate' species?
Such as neons and guppies which once were considered hardy but due to overbreeding and inbreeding seems not do be so hardy any more.

The majority of them seem to be able to adapt well, partly I would guess, because they've been kept in local water at the LFS, and partly also I would guess, because they may well have been bred in neutral water, and have never actually lived in their "normal" soft water.

Some species seem to buck that trend and not like anything other than their "normal" water. GBRs are one of these, although Bolivian Rams seem to me to be much less sensitive. It's jsut something I've observed over a few years watching lots of these type threads. GBRs are also very sensitive to water quality issues.

As it goes, hardwater fish do not seem to tolerate softwater at all well. I would guess it's because they need the dissolved carbonate in the water.

Ch4rlie said:
Hi,

Well I got them from my LPS and they usually are young fish. They are a good shop actually, won't sell you stuff if they think you have too much in tank or you haven't cycled etc.

The rams I've had have always been quite small when I purchased them and have grown to be twice the size, so I assume they have all been juveniles.

True, it may be it has reached the end of it's unnatural life.
It's just odd because one day it was happy as larry, next day it's had it.

I'm aware of peak, wood and RO, but for such a small tank how can I lower the PH without it costing a lot?
RO is a lot of money for such a small amount of water. I have a piece of driftwood in there, maybe another piece will help?
Can I expect a 0.2 ph drop from a small piece of wood?

My ram is now laying on its side 
no.gif

One thing I have noticed is that it looks bloated????????

Sorry for the loss, guess there was not much anyone could do 
sad1.gif

At least we've learned a few things and perhaps you may go for a hardier species that can cope with your water parameters rather than you trying to suit the water for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back