The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyPerson89586

Reaction score
Hi everyone!, I'm new here and recently, I bought 3 new Guppies (1 male and 2 females) Blueberry, Poseidon, and Pineapple. Both Blueberry and Pineapple each gave birth to about 20-30 fry about last week, and in my 6 gallon tank, there is now about 30-60 guppies (all fry), 2 pygmy corys, and 2 snails. But, the corys won't eat the algae growing on the tank and so, the tank is now pretty much covered in algae. The fry (which I plan to move), don't seem to be sick or starving. In fact, they actually seem to be doing really well despite the algae everywhere. Should I consider adding some oto cats to the tank if I move my pygmies to another tank? Would that be too crowded?
Also, Blueberry seems to be expecting again??? After 3 days after the fry were born, her belly started getting bigger again and the father (Poseidon?) has the fin rot. Would that effect the fry? In that tank, there's also two Mystery snails Apple and Mango whom the guppies really, really hate. they keep attacking the poor thing and now they keep stopping in one place and stay for hours and hours is that normal? Help!!!
Can somebody tell me if blueberry's expecting? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-3478.jpg
    IMG-3478.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi everyone!, I'm new here and recently, I bought 3 new Guppies (1 male and 2 females) Blueberry, Poseidon, and Pineapple. Both Blueberry and Pineapple each gave birth to about 20-30 fry about last week, and in my 6 gallon tank, there is now about 30-60 guppies (all fry), 2 pygmy corys, and 2 snails. But, the corys won't eat the algae growing on the tank and so, the tank is now pretty much covered in algae. The fry (which I plan to move), don't seem to be sick or starving. In fact, they actually seem to be doing really well despite the algae everywhere. Should I consider adding some oto cats to the tank if I move my pygmies to another tank? Would that be too crowded?
Also, Blueberry seems to be expecting again??? After 3 days after the fry were born, her belly started getting bigger again and the father (Poseidon?) has the fin rot. Would that effect the fry? In that tank, there's also two Mystery snails Apple and Mango whom the guppies really, really hate. they keep attacking the poor thing and now they keep stopping in one place and stay for hours and hours is that normal? Help!!!
Can somebody tell me if blueberry's expecting? Thanks!
Hello.
Personally I like to treat fin rot by putting the fish into a separate tank and treating. Usually the fin rot does not spread.
In a 6 gallon tank, I think the stocking will be a little too much once the fry grow.
You should never rely on living organisms to help treat tank problems
what type of algae do you have?
mystery snails don;t really eat algae.
blueberry is pregnant, but she's not going to drop for around another month

Hello.
Personally I like to treat fin rot by putting the fish into a separate tank and treating. Usually the fin rot does not spread.
In a 6 gallon tank, I think the stocking will be a little too much once the fry grow.
You should never rely on living organisms to help treat tank problems
what type of algae do you have?
mystery snails don;t really eat algae.
blueberry is pregnant, but she's not going to drop for around another month
Thanks so much!😁 I will try to do my research on the algae and I'll be upgrading my tank soon too. Poseidon is now in a quarantine tank and on the road to recovery!🥳

nerite snails are my go to for algae clean. They stay a reasonable size and are very busy little critters. I typically keep 1 per 5 gallons of tank and rotate them as needed if one tank has a bit of an algae breakout. They also have much smaller antennas (not sure what they’re really called) so they aren’t as biteable, Aka, your guppies won’t be as likely to attackI have both types of snails and even though mystery snails are prettier, nerite is the more “useful” purchase.

Also You’ll probably wanna keep the 6 gallon for future fry 😂

Cause you’ll be cursing having female guppies in a very short time period when it just doesn’t *stop* 😂😂

A female guppy can give birth 8 times from a single mating, so even if you separate the genders your ladies are vary capable of dropping fry for 8 more months after separation.

I have 4 tanks (approx a total of 70 gallons total) dedicated to guppies and it’s still too little to keep up. One male, one female, two fry/pregnancy tanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

You will need to get a larger tank. It’s best to just keep male or female guppies if you don’t want to be overrun with fish.

Corydoras are best kept in groups of 8+, but Pygmy corydoras do best in a group of 10+. They are omnivores that do not eat algae, and are not “cleanerfish. :) they also should be in a larger aquarium (10+ gallons for Pygmy corydoras and 20+. For regular sized corys 😊

Glad to hear you’ll be upgrading the tank soon

The algae problem should be helped by reducing the hours per day that your tank light is on

In a 6 gallon, I would keep a maximum of 2 fish.

Yup, there is a problem. The algae is water pollution related, as there are too many fish in there - there were before the babies arrived. Fin rot is a dirty tank related disease. No one could keep a tank that crowded clean though - you'd be doing partuial water changes several times a week just to be able to keep the tank as an overcrowded, unpleasant home for the fish. You need a bigger tank, soon!

And some research on the fish. Corydoras don't eat algae, and are not scavengers any more than we're scavengers for living on the bottom of the land with birds overhead.

You have two problems with this tank. Not only is the bio load of the current fish way past the capacity of the tank (and with mixed sex guppies there will be more added), but those corys need a shoal. At the very least, they need to be in a group of six and much more preferably a group of 10-12 of their own kind.

So not only do you have too much, at the same time you don't have enough.

nerite snails are my go to for algae clean. They stay a reasonable size and are very busy little critters. I typically keep 1 per 5 gallons of tank and rotate them as needed if one tank has a bit of an algae breakout. They also have much smaller antennas (not sure what they’re really called) so they aren’t as biteable, Aka, your guppies won’t be as likely to attackI have both types of snails and even though mystery snails are prettier, nerite is the more “useful” purchase.

Also You’ll probably wanna keep the 6 gallon for future fry 😂

Cause you’ll be cursing having female guppies in a very short time period when it just doesn’t *stop* 😂😂

A female guppy can give birth 8 times from a single mating, so even if you separate the genders your ladies are vary capable of dropping fry for 8 more months after separation.

I have 4 tanks (approx a total of 70 gallons total) dedicated to guppies and it’s still too little to keep up. One male, one female, two fry/pregnancy tanks.
Haha! Thanks! I'm planning to upgrade my tank, so I'll try what you said.😁

In a 6 gallon, I would keep a maximum of 2 fish.
I disagree, I have a 6 gallon rimless tank that has four white neon tetras and 6 chilli rasbora as well as a thriving population of tiger shrimp. Stocking will depend on what you keep in the tank, you're filtration, your substrate, and the number of plants you have in there. The fish and the shrimp have very small bioload, the filtration and the plants are able to handle any issues.

I disagree, I have a 6 gallon rimless tank that has four white neon tetras and 6 chilli rasbora as well as a thriving population of tiger shrimp. Stocking will depend on what you keep in the tank, you're filtration, your substrate, and the number of plants you have in there. The fish and the shrimp have very small bioload, the filtration and the plants are able to handle any issues.
My issue has nothing to do with bioload. Analyzing things that way has value, but is part of the test kit mentality that narrows our hobby down.

t has to do with movement. My interests in this hobby are fish behaviour, and you won't get much other than circling in a 6 gallon. Any fish that decides to swim will hit the glass.

When I was a kid, an angelfish grew large in our 10 gallon community and started killing tankmates (you want bioload only - the 1970s had that!). My mother put it in a 3 gallon crammed with plants because that was all we had for it, and it lived for 2 years hardly able to turn around. At the time, it bothered me, but it lived and even grew. We figured it was alright. I know that's extreme as an example (and one adult me regrets), but as far as bioload goes, it was fine.

Hi, every one! Update...I guess... I've upgraded to a 29gal (about 3 weeks ago), and added 9 more pygmy Cories, along with another female guppy. The 6 gal has been changed to a fry tank, and while the 3 gal has been charged to a q tank.
Also, blueberry has welcomed 46 fry in the six gal, and just went back to her main tank. and Poseidon is happy and healthy (again), living the dream with the other guppies!:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back