Is it possible to set up a cheap high-tech aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Can you put shadecloth over the room?

Tank fans won't make much difference if the room doesn't have a roof.

"High tech - low budget?" That's a painful contradiction in terms! :) Why not wait until you can afford what you want? In the long run you'll likely be happier if you just wait until you can afford what you want. I say this as a person who's spent WAY to much on myriad hobbies over the years.
:lol: way too much expenses but unlimited joy I would say ...

The anacharis are finally here and is quite healthy.
64D5AE49-1EBB-458B-A9C8-328C5B5B87A4.jpeg

I also made my diy aquarium fan from the computer fan, the temperature is now 27c during the day, should I turn off the fan at night? I’m scared of “short circuit” happens.
CE1278C9-106B-467D-B562-C7411B463A05.jpeg

Now that the anacharis tank is done (this is only for a sustainable source of anacharis anyway)
I want the proper aquascaping tank with a bunch of plants including crypts, anacharis, hair grass and rotala and african fern.

All I need is the someone to help with substrate slopes and hardscape.

I would suggest getting some hardscape before you add any more plants. You will definitely need to rearrange the Anacharis.

Usually the small fans can reduce the tank temperature by a few degrees.(not very much). The cooling comes from the water evaporation. You may have to top up your water every now and then.
Even the normal stand fan can be used as it has higher power. You can let it blow directly at the tank.
But during warmer days, the temperature will also be warm.

If you worry that the computer fans will short circuits, then it's better to buy the aquarium fans from the fish shop.
Or if you want me to help you check your wirings, probably you can take more photos of the fans.
1)Take a photo for the adapter and the wiring.
I supposed the adapter is connected to your AC wall plug and it converts the AC voltage to a DC voltage to power the fans.
Is this correct?

2)Check the adapter ratings (input and output power/current/voltage).
Or you can take a photo of the ratings which are usually printed on the adapter.
Your adapter output current must be higher than your fans input current.(total 3 fans input current). The output voltage of your adapter must be within the input voltage of the fans.

3)Your wirings need to have proper insulation especially at the AC voltage side.
For AC voltage side, your wires need to have more insulations.

I would suggest getting some hardscape before you add any more plants. You will definitely need to rearrange the Anacharis.
I’m talking about other tank that I’m going to buy and de rim it.

The anacharis tank is just for qt fish.

I’m talking about other tank that I’m going to buy and de rim it.

The anacharis tank is just for qt fish.
Anacharis and medications usually don’t mix. If the fish in your QT tank needs to have treatment, you can say bye to all that Anacharis.

Elodea has already taken over the tank and it’s only been 6 days since I planted them! (probably something to do with me overdosing the fertilizer)

Need an opinion, should I moved the fish out?

Last Thursday
CC6856EE-CB24-4178-87C6-8A59251E5A76.jpeg

Today;
1E20079A-4B5A-4D3F-B426-5A37515E8CA0.jpeg

It’s starting to get to a point where the fish barely have any room to swim.

Where else would you put the fish, if you moved them out of that tank?

Reactions: 663
Where else would you put the fish, if you moved them out of that tank?
I’ve got 2 20 gal tank left which I would started my aquascape (no anacharis!) (the reason I set up the anacharis tank is because I wanted to test out Walstad method)

I’m quite interested in Iwagumi scape, is there anyone here that can guide me through this kind of aquascaping?

Last edited:
I would just trim the Anacharis, giving the fish more room to swim.

No idea on that method of aquascaping. Maybe YouTube?

I’m quite interested in Iwagumi scape, is there anyone here that can guide me through this kind of aquascaping?
I'm in the process of setting up a 20g Iwagumi tank. This is "guide" I went off of: https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_aquascaping_iwagumi

Basically.... a centerpiece rock (Oyoishi), a rock that compliments it (Fukuishi), several others as support rocks (Soeishi) and a sacrificial rock that is ultimately meant to be carpeted over by plants (Suteishi). Lay them out with the "rule of thirds"... give them a nice carpeting plant like glossostigma, HC, or Monte Carlo.... and that's about it.

Here's mine right after I finished setting up the hardscape. It's currently got a MASSIVE diatom bloom which is normal since the cycle is almost done. I'm going to finish planting it and clean up the algae this weekend, and can hopefully start stocking it next week.

Attachments

• 152041985_761617197825593_959544212979230004_n (1).jpg
    152041985_761617197825593_959544212979230004_n (1).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 49

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back