Is it possible to set up a cheap high-tech aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well... “high-tech” and “cheap” shouldn’t be in the same sentence, if it is truly a high-tech tank. ;)

Knowing computer fans the way I do, I'd never have one near my fish. Custom fans and PSU? Sure! If keeping the tank a bit cooler is the goal, I'd suggest a properly angled powerhead (or two) as the superior option. Powerful filter exhaust would have the same effect under the same conditions.

@chkltcow to my knowledge, In aquaristics hightech is very often synonymous with expensive!
But why does it need to be? Yeah some people define a "gaming computer" as a $5000 Alienware, but I built mine for under $1000. I can put together a tank with a $50 set of Nicrew lights, $30 DIY CO2 generator, $10 diffuser, and $10 bottle of ferts and it will meet the definition of "high tech". You don't have to have a welding tank and special regulators and metal halide light rigs to do stuff anymore.

But why does it need to be? Yeah some people define a "gaming computer" as a $5000 Alienware, but I built mine for under $1000. I can put together a tank with a $50 set of Nicrew lights, $30 DIY CO2 generator, $10 diffuser, and $10 bottle of ferts and it will meet the definition of "high tech". You don't have to have a welding tank and special regulators and metal halide light rigs to do stuff anymore.
That is not what I could consider high-tech.

High-tech tanks are usually not DIY. Here is the basics for a high-tech tank: https://fishtankadvisor.com/first-high-tech-planted-tank/

That is not what I could consider high-tech.

High-tech tanks are usually not DIY. Here is the basics for a high-tech tank: https://fishtankadvisor.com/first-high-tech-planted-tank/
I still don't see how any of that differs dramatically from the low budget system I'm talking about. My tank is a 29g "All Glass Aquarium" framed tank, so it's not as fancy as his.... but I'm using Fluval Stratum plant substrate, I've got a DIY CO2 injector, I've got a Fluval Plant 3.0 light ordered which is the next iteration of the one he mentions in the writeup, and I've got a Fluval 204 filter which is just 2 generations older than the 206 he talks about. Nothing in his writeup is any different than mine other than the quality of the glass box itself, which I don't think is a defining factor in "high tech". His CO2 kit is effectively a DIY kit. It's one that someone bundled together to sell as a package, but the things using a SodaStream are still very much DIY.

I feel like his definition of a high tech tank is pretty close to mine.... lights, CO2, ferts and substrate

@chkltcow I didn't say that it needs to be expensive ;)
You also have to think about price-quality ratio, long life expectancy, water proofness (for downstairs neighbour especially) and so on...

What do you call a low budget ? For what tank size ?

Last edited:
Fluval Stratum plant substrate, I've got a DIY CO2 injector, I've got a Fluval Plant 3.0 light ordered which is the next iteration of the one he mentions in the writeup, and I've got a Fluval 204 filter which is just 2 generations older than the 206 he talks about
You just named some of the most expensive “common” equipment out there. :huh:

@chkltcow I didn't say that it needs to be expensive ;)
You also have to think about price-quality ratio, long life expectancy, water proofness (for downstairs neighbour especially) and so on...

What do you call a low budget ? For what tank size ?
@Barry Tetra asked the question and his tank looks to be around 20g, so I'm basing my thoughts on that.

My contention is that for $100, it's possible to take an existing "low tech" planted tank and supplement the lights, supplement the CO2, and start adding ferts... and make it a "high tech" aquarium. When I started in this, to get a true "high tech" tank, you were looking at building metal halide fixtures for it, and spending $1000 or so on just lights. LEDs fixed that. Now the "expensive" Plant 3.0 light I'm looking at is $150 for a 20 gallon tank. The Nicrew lights I mentioned are only $43 for a similar output on a 20G tank. The CO2 rig I own is $30 and has been working great. The bottle of Dustins Fish Tanks ferts I bought was $12.

I remember the days when trying to set up a tank with CO2 and nice lighting was going to run you thousands. Even the Compact Fluorescent fixtures that are nowhere as nice as the current LED stuff was $300+. CO2 required a something like a welding or at least paintball tank with a regulator, or a REALLY messy DIY rig using yeast and sugar water. Things are way easier these days, and way cheaper... and I don't think scaring people off from trying it is helping our hobby.

I dug up some red clay from up in the hills and made small balls about 10mm diameter. I stuck these in the gravel under the plants.

I add a liquid iron based fertiliser I made from iron chelate and a few other trace elements.

I had 3 twin fluorescent light units I bought from a hardware, and had them above the tank. I had 6 fluorescent tubes in them that were mostly daylight globes (6500K).

I had lots of fish in the tank, fed them heaps, did a huge water change and gravel cleaned the open areas every week. My fish and plants did really well.

@Colin_T Is it possible to grow Glossostigma in gravel?

A couple months ago, my LFS gave me heaps of them 2 and now they’re grow floating.

Also if I add CO2 everyday for 10 days and stop using it will it kills plants?

@Colin_T Is it possible to grow Glossostigma in gravel?

A couple months ago, my LFS gave me heaps of them 2 and now they’re grow floating.

Also if I add CO2 everyday for 10 days and stop using it will it kills plants?
It might be able to do it, but it would be much better off in sand.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back