Is it possible to set up a cheap high-tech aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hey there,

@Barry Tetra Glossostigma is quite hard to maintain.
Requires lots of light to get a turf effect.
No shade from other plants.
Addition of CO2 - 20-40 mg/l - is essential to its growth.

Glossostigma is quite hard to maintain.
That’s weird, I grow it floating...

So the bottom half of elodea dropping leaves like crazy, can anyone identify this problem? The top seems to be healthy.

@Colin_T

Attachments

• B0259935-AA28-4022-9FFE-99B8EEE11485.jpeg
    B0259935-AA28-4022-9FFE-99B8EEE11485.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 0BDC974C-A87A-4980-82E1-A5FBCD2B2FC6.jpeg
    0BDC974C-A87A-4980-82E1-A5FBCD2B2FC6.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 42
I thought it was low on CO2 so I just do a little bit of test on diy CO2 and everything burst in to the aquarium, now it’s cloudy because of yeast and sugar, should I move the fish?

Everything is okay at first until I move the bottle a little bit, check valve doesn’t do it’s thing.

661FB019-AF4E-45E5-AA83-85B55034C3C8.jpeg

Leave the fish in but do large water changes every day for a week or two.

You should be more worried about the fish dying from carbon dioxide poisoning or acidosis (sudden drop in pH).

Shoudn’t have done a test on CO2 stuff, seems dangerous for the aquarium.

You shouldn’t do DIY yeast Co2 like that, it’s to unstable.

That’s weird, I grow it floating...

So the bottom half of elodea dropping leaves like crazy, can anyone identify this problem? The top seems to be healthy.

@Colin_T
Either shedding or slowly dying.

Do you have a specific goal in mind?
This is low tech (still growing in)
20210216_192746502_ios-jpg.129245

My signature is low tech too
What a beautiful tank @seangee, it would get good to get some details on this setup. In particular the substrate type and illumination. Tank looks like a long vs tall tank.

@Barry Tetra I do use purchased aquarium soil now but for all the hard scaping work I use locally found wood, rocks, and gravel, I just make sure I place them in the sun for a while and either boil or treat with oxygen bleach, ie H2O2.

Thanks for sharing that @seangee. I started with tall tanks, one 25", and wishing I had gone with longer tanks instead. One last question, what is the floater you have in your signature. My "outcasts" tank is a 20 long and the plants grow very nice but it isn't scaped. I will be on the lookout for the 20 extra long.

I’ve just bought a 24x15x12 rimless tank, aquasoil and thinking about setting up Iwagumi.

Can anyone guide me from “dry start method” to “seiryu stone placement”?

Also, are “base layer substrate” nescessary? I don’t wanna spent too much money on this.

and as you can tell, I was inspired by Green Aqua video.

@Wills @mbsqw1d

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back