Is it possible to set up a cheap high-tech aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been to a lot of planted tank store and all of them were a high-tech type, which most of them are really expensive, most plants are about $20+ and I don’t think I can afford any of these, so...Is it possible to create a low budget high tech aquarium?

What do you class as 'high-tech'?
Depending on the size of the tank, most LED lights on the market these days provide more than enough intensity. NiCrew are a good example of a decent budget make.
For co2, you can go down the fire extinguisher route. Whilst there are relatively cheap dual regulators available, you're better investing in a reputable make (co2art).
For substrate.. i find root tabs in an inert sand work fine but you might consider a capped organic soil.
Overall, the biggest cost would probably be the dual stage regulator IMO

Back in the old days, I did it with a 2 liter drink bottle, some air hose, check valve, diffuser, sugar, water, and yeast.

These days it seems to be Citric Acid and Baking Soda, but still just drink bottles, air hoses, check valves, and a diffuser

The thing wih me here is that I know nothing about aquascaping, all I do is add everything in.

All I wanted to know right now is the cost of planted tank.

I think you can do something cheap depending on how big the aquarium is. I bought all my aquariums and equipement for really cheap on facebook market place and facebook aquarium groups. Soil is always expensive so I don't think there is a way to save money on that. For plants I would also recommend getting them from other people, a lot of people sell plants trimming instead of putting them in the garbage.

Do you have a specific goal in mind?
This is low tech (still growing in)
20210216_192746502_ios-jpg.129245

My signature is low tech too

Tank, lights and CO2 will be the expensive things.

You can grow plants without CO2 and latest research on terrestrial plants has shown they don't do well with too much CO2.

You have the tanks, all you need is lots of light and fertiliser. Grow plants in pots with clay and garden fertiliser. Have a couple of lights above the tank. Watch them grow.

For what its worth, we never used CO2 at the plant farm. We used clay, gravel and fertiliser in the substrate. We gave them lots of light and the plants went nuts.

Do you have a specific goal in mind?
Nope, but seeing them in plant store make me really feel like
low money = no planted aquarium.

Attachments

• 66192CA6-7923-4743-9197-F53217C257D8.jpeg
    66192CA6-7923-4743-9197-F53217C257D8.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 80
  • C8A4A7C3-B411-4011-9C46-F706F08A9E49.jpeg
    C8A4A7C3-B411-4011-9C46-F706F08A9E49.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 75
I don’t even know how to aquascape, can you guys give me the info? Back ground and mid ground plants and stuff?

You can definitely do plants cheap and do it as a "low tech" without CO2. Things like Water Sprite, Hygrophilia and Anacharis will grow like crazy even with moderate light, no ferts, and no CO2 injection. And because they grow like weeds, they're usually pretty cheap or even free since people give away their clippings. In the past, I've sent clippings of anacharis, water sprite, and parrot's feather (floating plant, not great for aquariums) to people for free because I was just going to throw it away otherwise. I'd see if you can find any aquarium clubs in your area and see if you can get some of the "low tech plants" from them for free/cheap.

Hi everyone!

I have been to a lot of planted tank store and all of them were a high-tech type, which most of them are really expensive, most plants are about $20+ and I don’t think I can afford any of these, so...Is it possible to create a low budget high tech aquarium?

"High tech - low budget?" That's a painful contradiction in terms! :) Why not wait until you can afford what you want? In the long run you'll likely be happier if you just wait until you can afford what you want. I say this as a person who's spent WAY to much on myriad hobbies over the years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back