In The Beginning There Was A Tank.....a Small Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Glensmole said:

yahoo.gif
Not long to go now!
I know...Exciting isn't it!  My son is a bit fed up with looking at an empty tank......Poor kid!  It'll be sooooo worth it.
winner.gif

I agree, it can be very annoying looking at an empty tank for so long! But hey, at least its better than looking at a tank of dieing fish!

Ok so I added a full amount of Ammonia to the water on day 24 and here (at day 26) are the results: 
20131002_104628_resized.jpg
As you can see, the Ammonia is definitely being processed (I'd say it's between 0.25 and 0.50ppm) .  The Nitrite Is high at the moment.  I tested for Nitrate and pH (High Rate) as well.  Will test again Friday.

Where pH is concerned, do I take it that I need to get my pH at a level to suite the fish I want?  I'm not sure whether I need to test in high range or normal. 

I would not mess with your pH at all.  It looks as if it will be within a normal range to suit most fish anyway.
Your pH looks like a match for 7.4 on the high range to me.  It may be lower.  What does it read on the normal pH test?

daizeUK said:
I would not mess with your pH at all.  It looks as if it will be within a normal range to suit most fish anyway.
Your pH looks like a match for 7.4 on the high range to me.  It may be lower.  What does it read on the normal pH test?
I'll do a normal pH test on Friday and show you the results. 
yes.gif

Day 28 ....... Ooooh Progress!
20131004_090602_resized.jpg
So after adding the full dose of Ammonia, I think we are nearly there.  As you can see pH (normal range) is 7.6, Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is about 1ppm and Nitrate is between 40 to 80ppm.

So the next step is to do another reading on Sunday:

After the second ammonia addition, while waiting for nitrite to rise, peak and drop, the bacteria will need a maintenance feeding. When you get two consecutive ammonia readings of 0 ppm, give the bacteria a “snack” by adding 1/3 of the full amount. This “snack” should be needed somewhere between days 21 and 27 of the cycle

If the Ammonia still reads 0ppm then I'll add the snack.  I'm hoping now that maybe by next weekend I can get my fish.......Sorry, my son can get his fish.....

Question:  When I'm ready for fish and I need to do a large water change, as long as I add my tap conditioner and bring the new water up to temperature is there any thing else I need to do?  How long before the fish should I do the water change.  Say I'm going to buy them on Saturday, should I do the change Thursday to get the temp up?

I think it would be a good idea to do the water change at least 24 hours in advance to let it settle.  You can always use mixed hot and cold water so that it's the right temperature when you add to the tank.
You may find that the nitrite takes longer to drop than the ammonia so be prepared to be patient a bit longer!

daizeUK said:
I think it would be a good idea to do the water change at least 24 hours in advance to let it settle.  You can always use mixed hot and cold water so that it's the right temperature when you add to the tank.
You may find that the nitrite takes longer to drop than the ammonia so be prepared to be patient a bit longer!
Thanks I will......Just getting excited.
yahoo.gif

Erm? Day 31 of testing.  I missed testing yesterday as I was busy, but I've done it today, to find my Ammonia has risen a little and the Nitrite is still high.  Strange that the ammonia has risen as I haven't added any more (as in the snack) or even touched the tank since Friday.  See for yourself
20131007_114501_resized.jpg

I'd say it's about 0.25ppm on the Ammonia.  Should this be happening?  I'll check it again tomorrow, just to see. 
sad2.gif

It could be something dead in the tank, rotting plants or a pest snail, if you have any.  Or it could be just more of that fish food releasing ammonia.  Or it could simply be an inaccurate reading.  If there's no obvious cause then I wouldn't worry too much, just check it in a couple of days whenever you do your next nitrite test.

daizeUK said:
It could be something dead in the tank, rotting plants or a pest snail, if you have any.  Or it could be just more of that fish food releasing ammonia.  Or it could simply be an inaccurate reading.  If there's no obvious cause then I wouldn't worry too much, just check it in a couple of days whenever you do your next nitrite test.
Spose it could be the residual fish food, from when I foolishly added it a couple of weeks ago!  Yeah there's nothing in the tank apart from gravel and the filter and heater.  Cheers mate!  I'll update Wednesday (ish)
yes.gif

OK here we are at day 32 Levels look much better.

20131008_221144_resized.jpg

I've got 7.6 on pH, 0ppm on Ammonia, .25ppm on Nitrite and 5ppm on Nitrate
Time for the maintenance feeding I think.  Yep just done that.  I'll test again Thursday.
thumbs-up.gif

That nitrite is looking very good.  Forget about maintenance feeding, you need to move on to the next stage of cycling now.  See the cycling guide:

After the maintenance feeding, whenever you test and ammonia is .25 ppm or lower and nitrite is clearly under 1 ppm, it is time to add a full ammonia dose again and test in 24 hours.

You're at the stage where you're looking for both ammonia and nitrite to be zero within 24 hours.

thumbs-up.gif
 Looking good! Almost done!

I agree with Daize about adding the full dose instead of the maintenance feeding. 

Thanks Daize and Blondie for the suggestion.  Will do.  I've had man flu for a couple of days, so testing suffered I'm afraid.

Anyway, sorry I did do the maintenance feed.  Saw your comments after....Think it may have been good though as I didn't test for a few days.

Here's what I've got today.20131012_180322_resized.jpg

I'll add the full dose now and test tomorrow.  Watch this space.

BTW  If the readings tomorrow are good, as I can't get fish until Saturday/Sunday next week, should I do a maintenance feed to keep the levels correct say about Wednesday?

Strange that your nitrates are showing yellow.  They should definitely not be zero.
Yes, if ammonia and nitrite are both clear zero after 24 hours then water change and do a maintenance feed on Wednesday is a good idea.  Otherwise continue giving a full dose as long as ammonia < 0.25 and nitrite <1ppm until they are both clear zero.

Most reactions

Back