In The Beginning There Was A Tank.....a Small Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Glensmole

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As I'm totally new to this game, I thought it would be a good idea to keep a journal of my fishy experiences. I'm going to take advice from you (helpful though please!
yes.gif
 ) along the way and share the good and bad times of keeping a nano tank.

So it all started about a week ago when some lovely friends of mine offered me an Aquael 20 nano tank for my sons (aged 6 and 1) as they had grown out of it.

My friends simply said (and they won't mind me telling you this!) add gravel, tap water, switch the filter and heater on and wait a week. Add fish and "Bob's your Uncle" as we say here in Tamworth.

Well I did exactly that.......Well up to the wait a week.....It's been 5 days.

When the water started to get cloudy, I paniced.  Then I found this brilliant forum. OMG it's saved and converted me....Well my fish anyway.....Well It will have done, when I get some.

I read the article Beginners Resource Center (start here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ )

I'm going through the fishless cycle at the moment.  My 6 year old want's it to hurry up, but I've told him it'll be worth it.  My water has cleared (today!!).  I'm waiting for my API water testing kit, API tap water conditioner, ammonia, gravel cleaner, cleaning brush and copy of Star Trek Into Darkness on Bluray in 3D........Well I bought it all from Amazon and I thought my fish will have to get into Star Trek if they want to live with me!!

My items should be here in the next day or so.  I'll continue this soon. Here's picture number1

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 114
Hi and welcome to the forums, everyone here is very helpful and mostly friendly, I'm just beginning myself and this site has been invaluable..
Nice choice on fish less cycling, :)
What are your ideas on stocking.

Are you going to add a background to your tank?

Welcome to the forum :hi:

It is great that you have decided to do a fishless cycle! :good:

Have you read THIS?
It will give you some good ideas on stocking :)

I look forward to seeing your progress :D

Blondielovesfish said:
Welcome to the forum
welcomeani.gif

It is great that you have decided to do a fishless cycle!
good.gif

Have you read THIS?
It will give you some good ideas on stocking
smile.png

I look forward to seeing your progress
biggrin.png
Thanks for the list.  As you know, I'm a newbie.......The tank I have is a 20 litre.  Are you saying pick one sort from this list (which I like by the way), or you could have all of them, or pick a few? I'm scared of over population, but don't really know how many to have.  I don't want my fish to be lonely, on the other hand, I don't want them to be smacking each other with every tail swish!!

You pick one.  So for example in your 20L you could have:

1 male betta OR
6-8 male endlers OR
3 guppies

These are probably the easiest choices for a beginner as some of the other nano fish require special diets etc.

daizeUK said:
You pick one.  So for example in your 20L you could have:

1 male betta OR
6-8 male endlers OR
3 guppies

These are probably the easiest choices for a beginner as some of the other nano fish require special diets etc.
That's great, thanks daizeUK, you are a star!

Welcome to the forum :)

Well done for taking the time to have a read up before diving in :good:

I have a betta in a 22 litre:

2b7458dd95c5a879f3b7e82cf9eb26e0_zpsd9f23d86.jpg

This is his recent scape (last weekend) - bettas don't get lonely, they quite enjoy it on their own. Your decision is up to you, but their are many different colours/tail types to choose from with bettas.

Good luck, look forward to seeing pics and plants if you decide to go that way.

Shelster said:
Welcome to the forum
smile.png

Well done for taking the time to have a read up before diving in
good.gif

I have a betta in a 22 litre:

2b7458dd95c5a879f3b7e82cf9eb26e0_zpsd9f23d86.jpg

This is his recent scape (last weekend) - bettas don't get lonely, they quite enjoy it on their own. Your decision is up to you, but their are many different colours/tail types to choose from with bettas.

Good luck, look forward to seeing pics and plants if you decide to go that way.
Thanks Shelster.  Wow what a beautiful fish. Definitely going with plants and maybe bogwood.  Oh yes there will be pics, I can assure you of that.
OK check in time.  The test kit and tap water conditioner have arrived.  I've put the correct measure of it in the tank.  I really want to get the tests done, but that'll have to be later as I've got to take my 6 year old to swimming lessons.

I'll be back later when the first tests are done.  I'll let you know the scores.

Oooooh Exciting!!!!

hello and welcom!

I would also recomend a Betta, they are very lively funny little fish with lots of personality and beauty. Like Shelster said there are many colors and types to choose from. Here is My betta named Red 

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

OK it's day 6.  I've just run my first water test. 

20130906_103243_resized.jpg

As you can see.  I've got a nil reading for ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.  My pH is high, but I'll look at that later down the line.

I've read the fishless cycle......... So here I go.

For the size if the size of the tank, I added 1ml of ammonia (i used the calculator here http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm).  I'm now reading about 3ppm.  I'll test in 2 days and see what happens.  It's the waiting game now!

sounds like your doing good so far! keep us updated. The cycle seems like it can take forever sometimes but the bright side is it gives you time to figure out the details of your tank and save up some money spreading the cost out a little more 
yes.gif

Nice start of your journal!

Well done on pretty much everything and especially on having the patience to go for the fish-less cycle. You won't regret doing it that way, however, you'd have to have done a fish-in cycle to really appreciate what not to do!

Good luck with your cycling and with the very exciting choice of what to put in there. 

Remember you could very well have a few shrimp in there with some Endlers. Perhaps not with a betta, but with some of the smaller potential nano-tank inhabitants!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back