In The Beginning There Was A Tank.....a Small Tank

sputnick said:
sounds like your doing good so far! keep us updated. The cycle seems like it can take forever sometimes but the bright side is it gives you time to figure out the details of your tank and save up some money spreading the cost out a little more 
yes.gif
Too true Sputnick, too true.  Things seem quite cheap on their own, but start putting them together and whoosh.  Anyone know of a good mortgage lender
mobile.gif

fm1978 said:
Nice start of your journal!

Well done on pretty much everything and especially on having the patience to go for the fish-less cycle. You won't regret doing it that way, however, you'd have to have done a fish-in cycle to really appreciate what not to do!

Good luck with your cycling and with the very exciting choice of what to put in there. 

Remember you could very well have a few shrimp in there with some Endlers. Perhaps not with a betta, but with some of the smaller potential nano-tank inhabitants!
Thanks for the praise fm1978.  Shrimp...erm, well I suppose the Aquael 20 is a shrimp tank really.  Might have a think about it though.  Will deffinately look at Endlers though.  Cheers
balloon.gif

Oh, and it's attached to some wood, behind the big piece :)

Ooops ok I've slipped up with the testing days.  So just tested again and here are the results.

20130911_095307_resized.jpg

The light is a bit strange, but It's reading around the 3ppm on Ammonia and 0ppm for Nitrite.  I'll try again Saturday and let you know the results.
yes.gif

Well it's day 8 of testing (14th Sept 2013).  Looked at the tank today and you know when things don't look right.....Not with the water, but with the filter placement and heater and wires.  So before I tested, I have re-positioned them.  Also I had my thermometer arrive on Thursday, so I added that as well.  It's showing 22.5 C. Does the tank look any better I hear you ask.......Well no, but I think it's neater.  I suppose it'll change again when I add plants and things.

So back to the testing, it's going ok I think.

20130914_094711_resized.jpg

As you can see, Nitrite is at 0 ppm and Ammonia is at about 2 ppm.  Looks like we are heading in the right direction.  I know I'll need to give the tank a snack soon.....maybe by the latter part of next week. 

I'm not sure if the Nitrite should have gone up?  Any ideas?

Anyway, I'll test again on Tuesday and see where we are.

Your nitrite is a clear blue which indicates to me that your cycle hasn't started yet.  I would definitely expect to see some faint purple if the ammonia was being processed by bacteria.

daizeUK said:
Your nitrite is a clear blue which indicates to me that your cycle hasn't started yet.  I would definitely expect to see some faint purple if the ammonia was being processed by bacteria.
Yeah, I suppose I have to wait until it kicks off.  I've heard it can take several days for the nitrite to spike.  What's your opinion on that?

My second cycle without kickstart bacteria took about 18 days for ammonia to start processing :)

daizeUK said:
My second cycle without kickstart bacteria took about 18 days for ammonia to start processing
smile.png
Wow 18 days! OK thanks for that.  I'll just keep watching and testing.  I'm sad and think it's exciting.....bit like Christmas!!!
santa.gif

OK day 11 of testing.  Still the same I'm afraid.  My ammonia levels haven't dropped (around 3ppm) and the Nitrite is the same (0ppm). Will test again on Friday.  I was doing a little research and it was suggested that a tiny bit of ground up fish food was a good idea.  Well in for a penny.....  Also I'm not sure how much of a flow I should have on the filter.  I can see the water swirling round and a very slight ripple on the surface. 
Anyway, back Friday.  Bye for now 

Day 14 of testing.......Wait for it......Wait......I have Nitrite...WoooooHooooooo!!!  It's like Christmas and Birthday all rolled into one.
20130920_095142_resized.jpg
As you can see, I reckon about 0.25ppm at the moment.  Strangely my Ammonia still looks the same colour.  Mind you the Nitrite is changing, I suppose the Ammonia will change soon as well.

I am soooooo pleased. It's definitely worth the wait. 
I'll check in again on Monday and share the love ;-)

Anyone have any ideas about flow on the filter?  I have a gentle flow (I can see the surface very slightly rippling and the water is moving) is this enough.  Should it be a faster/stronger flow?  Any help is much appreciated.

Your ammonia is looking very high to me, dark enough to be towards the bottom of the scale.  Ammonia should not exceed 3ppm at any time, have you been adding more?  You don't need to add any more until the ammonia reading has been clear yellow for 4-5 days.

Also fish food does provide nutrients but will also add to the ammonia.  Unless your water is completely devoid of nutrients you don't really need to add fish food.

It's great that your nitrite is purple though, at least it shows that the ammonia is being processed!

daizeUK said:
Your ammonia is looking very high to me, dark enough to be towards the bottom of the scale.  Ammonia should not exceed 3ppm at any time, have you been adding more?  You don't need to add any more until the ammonia reading has been clear yellow for 4-5 days.

Also fish food does provide nutrients but will also add to the ammonia.  Unless your water is completely devoid of nutrients you don't really need to add fish food.

It's great that your nitrite is purple though, at least it shows that the ammonia is being processed!
Hi Ya,
No I haven't added any more ammonia.  I did add a tiny bit of  crushed food though, about 3 days ago. Yeah I know about the 3ppm.  Do you think I should do a partial water change?  Or as the Nitrite is now going darker, will that sort the ammonia eventually and therefore just carry on as I was....Testing and watching.

BTW you were right about the length of time for the cycle to start when you mentioned 18 days.  Thanks I'd have been panicking. This is really teaching me to be patient.  Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back