In The Beginning There Was A Tank.....a Small Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
daizeUK said:
That looks really good!
yes.gif

I don't think you need to worry about a snack dose, it's only 4 days until Sat or 5 until Sunday and the bacteria will be fine.  Put that bottle of ammonia away somewhere you never have to look at it again!
laugh.png

Thursday water change sounds like a good idea.
Which fish are you going to get?
Oh but the smell is soooooo lovely.  I think I will use it as air freshener!!!
yes.gif

Brill, I will do the water change on Thursday then.  Fish, I'm really not sure.......Actually I don't want any fish to spoil my lovely water now!!!! LOL
biggrin.png
I'm going to my local Independent stockist (who I've been recommended to) and I'm going to take a look. I was given some ideas earlier in this thread, so I will look at them again.  Needless to say, I will put a picture on here to show you the finished product.
Daize, I would really like to thank you for your help and support during this cycle. I couldn't have done it without you!
thumbs-up.gif

I'll probably report on the water change as well on Thursday.  Cheers for now.

Just to be safe, I'd add another full dose, you don't want to stock your tank and then have a massive spike.

I would agree, except that his nitrates have been all over the place and I don't want his cycle stalling now when it's essentially finished.

Thanks Blondie.  I took a wobble for a moment there, but as I've followed Daize's doctrines so far and they have worked for me, I went for it and this morning did a 90% water change (not forgetting the tap conditioner
yes.gif
).  So there we have it.  The next time I type, I hope to have a stocked tank with some plants and things in. I won't go too far over the top promise. I'll add the pics then.

So here it is.  We went to our stockist and as a family we walked round and around. I went up to a nice gent who looked like he knew what he was on about.  I explained that this was my first tank and I'd successfully cycled it (being very proud of myself!). I said that I thought Tetra's were a good start, and he agreed, but said what about adding a few other species.  He advised not to over stock and start with 6 fish, then in a few weeks, try another 6.  Also he advised that although we could go with real plants, artificial maybe the way to go to start with.  Therefore that's what I did.  My son picked the treasure chest and the fish and their names.  2 tetra's (Bob and Belinda), 2 guppies (Fire and Fluffy) and 2 mollies (Carrot and Ice).  We'll go back in a few weeks and get a couple more fish and at that point, a real plant or 2 and a small bubble wand or bubble ornament.20131027_161214_resized.jpg 
I'm hoping the fish are happy.  They seem to be darting about.  They've had a feed and seem to be finding their way around......Although in a 20 Litre tank, that's not hard.
I really want a big tank now........Think I might have to wait!
yes.gif

I'll check in from time to time now and let you know how I'm getting on.

I'm sorry to say he let you waaay over stock the tank!
I'd take them back and get some fish more suitable :(

The only ones that are okay in this tank are the guppies.

Blondie linked this to you earlier on in your thread but I thought I'd let you see it again: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/
20l = 5 gallons, so if you want to keep the guppies you can get one more and then you'd be fully stocked.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude, I'm not trying to be at all. Also big congratulations on cycling your tank!!! :)

Ninjou is right, your tank is too small for the mollies and tetras.  Tetras are a social fish and would prefer to be in shoals of at least six.  Perhaps an excuse to start cycling a bigger tank, eh? ;)

OK I get your point.  Thing is, even my wife is talking about a bigger tank now
yes.gif

I'm checking levels every couple of days with the test kit and so far the filter is doing it's job.  I've added a real plant and an air stone.  I've got some Stress Zyme just in case.  I have added a small amount of poly filter and it is doing it's job. Also I'm cleaning the tank regularly with a tank vac and a glass sponge thingy, have done a 25% water change just to make sure pH and Ammonia levels stay checked and have even treated them to some bloodworms.  They seem to be getting on well.  They are swimming in the current of the filter and air bubbles.

20131101_094516_resized.jpg

Hey I'm back.  Well the fish are doing fine and........erm I've got Fry!!!!  3 to be exact (think they are Tetra, but quite small so not sure yet!).  Well I know I was overstocked before, but now we've added to the problem.  OK the good news is I'm getting a new tank....Woop Woop.  I think it'll definitely be a 60 litre maybe bigger (but not too big yet!).  What I want to know is can I move my water and filter over to the new tank so I don't have to cycle again?  I really want my fish to enjoy their new tank without waiting for 20 million weeks
yes.gif
 .  I'm hopefully getting it before Christmas (although it's a Christmas pressy from my lovely wife!). 

Tell you what, I'm really enjoying my fish and my family think they are ace.  They are all named and I think if you could put fish on a lead, my 6 year old would take them for a walk
laugh.png
 .  My 18 month old runs up to the tank and says "Pish!" My wife talks really soppy to them (she's a total convert!).  In the words of Tony The Tiger, "They're Grrrreat!"
biggrin.png

Haha, glad you're enjoying them :)

The fry are most likely from the platies, they may have already been pregnant when you got them.
Do you know the sex of your platies?

When you get your tank, you can move all of your filter media over to the new filter, put the fish in a bucket, move all of the water to the new tank, decorate the new tank, top the tank up with fresh water, get the tank to the correct temperature, add fish and you're done :D
While the fish are in the bucket, it would help them to have a towel over it, to make it dark and minimize stress :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new tank :snap: 

Blondielovesfish said:
Haha, glad you're enjoying them
smile.png

The fry are most likely from the platies, they may have already been pregnant when you got them.
Do you know the sex of your platies?

When you get your tank, you can move all of your filter media over to the new filter, put the fish in a bucket, move all of the water to the new tank, decorate the new tank, top the tank up with fresh water, get the tank to the correct temperature, add fish and you're done
biggrin.png

While the fish are in the bucket, it would help them to have a towel over it, to make it dark and minimize stress
smile.png

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new tank
photo.gif
Oh wow, thanks Blondie.  That sounds simple enough.  Just looked at this forum about how to sex a platy......I could be wrong, but I think I have a male and female.....Yep just studied them "Carrot" is a male and "Ice" is a female.  Also, when we got them home, Ice looked bigger in girth than Carrot......lol I actually looked up fish bloat!!! Derrrrrrrrrr!
Here's a pic of them taken about 5 days ago (they are bigger now)
20131114_220557.jpg  They're a bit small, but you get the picture
winner.gif

I'll be back in touch when the new tank is up and running.

If I don't type before, have a great Christmas and a Prosperous and fish filled (in the best possible way!) New Year!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back