In The Beginning There Was A Tank.....a Small Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh dear....Fed up now! Just when I thought we were getting somewhere.  I did the test this morning and here are the results!
20131017_125518_resized.jpg
Seems there's still a way to go yet.
If I read things right, I'm at the:
"If at any time you test and ammonia is under .75 ppm and nitrite is clearly over 2 ppm, it is time to add more ammonia. Add the same full amount as you did the first time. Now, begin to test the ammonia and nitrite levels every other day. (You should be seeing nitrate soon if you have the kit.)

After the second ammonia addition, while waiting for nitrite to rise, peak and drop, the bacteria will need a maintenance feeding. When you get two consecutive ammonia readings of 0 ppm, give the bacteria a “snack” by adding 1/3 of the full amount. This “snack” should be needed somewhere between days 21 and 27 of the cycle." 
stage again?
What do you think?

I don't like the look of that, might be a stalled cycle.  Has your pH dropped?
Your nitrate seems to be climbing very fast.
If the ammonia and nitrite haven't dropped by tomorrow then I'd do another water change, a larger one this time. 

daizeUK said:
I don't like the look of that, might be a stalled cycle.  Has your pH dropped?
Your nitrate seems to be climbing very fast.
If the ammonia and nitrite haven't dropped by tomorrow then I'd do another water change, a larger one this time.
 pH hasn't dropped.  I know that I added a full amount of Ammonia the day before as you suggested, so I 'spose that could be it, but I thought that the Ammonia was being processed.  I thought I'd see a 0ppm on Ammonia and Nitrite.  Will test again later today and show the results.

OK, that's a bit better.

20131018_214325_resized.jpg
Nitrate looks between 20 and 40ppm
Just looking at "the fishless cycle" and can't make up my mind whether to do a maintenance feed tomorrow or do a large water change and start stocking.....Opinions please.

Phew! :)

No need for maintenance feed.  Did the ammonia and nitrite clear within 24 hours?

daizeUK said:
Phew!
smile.png

No need for maintenance feed.  Did the ammonia and nitrite clear within 24 hours?
Actually tested a few hours over that because of work, but not more 36 hours

Your cycle is finished when you are processing ammonia and nitrite within 24 hours.  I'd add another 3ppm ammonia and test again in 24 hours.

daizeUK said:
Your cycle is finished when you are processing ammonia and nitrite within 24 hours.  I'd add another 3ppm ammonia and test again in 24 hours.
Will do. Thanks.  I'll do it in the morning now.  My youngest got me up at 5:30am this morning so I need Sleep.  I'll test 24 hour after, so will let you know on Sunday!

Looks like you're almost there!

If the ammonia and nitrite is 0 in 24 hours time, wait until it is and then dose 3ppm again and wait.
Keep doing this until they are both at 0 in 24 hours :)

What are your exact thoughts on stocking?

Hello everyone

Well it's 24 hours later and as you can see, my Ammonia is 0ppm...... My Nitrite isn't though (I'd say about 0.50ppm) and Nitrate is about 40ppm.
20131020_092638_resized.jpg
So what do I do now.....I'm confused
sad2.gif

Am I at the stage where I keep testing and do the snack in a couple of days?  Or do I add another full dose (but won't that push the NO2 and NO3 up again) and test in 24 hour? I'm lost!
Help! Whimper.
no.gif

You are at this stage:

" whenever you test and ammonia is .25 ppm or lower and nitrite is clearly under 1 ppm, it is time to add a full ammonia dose again and test in 24 hours. "

Test again tomorrow and if nitrite is under 1ppm then add another full dose and test again in 24 hours.
Keep an eye on your pH, if it shows signs of falling then we will worry about the nitrate.
(edit: nitrite looks about 1ppm to me but that might be the camera playing tricks on my eyes, if you're sure it's 0.5ppm then yes add a full dose now).

daizeUK said:
You are at this stage:

" whenever you test and ammonia is .25 ppm or lower and nitrite is clearly under 1 ppm, it is time to add a full ammonia dose again and test in 24 hours. "

Test again tomorrow and if nitrite is under 1ppm then add another full dose and test again in 24 hours.
Keep an eye on your pH, if it shows signs of falling then we will worry about the nitrate.

(edit: nitrite looks about 1ppm to me but that might be the camera playing tricks on my eyes, if you're sure it's 0.5ppm then yes add a full dose now).
I think I agree with you Daize that it's more like 1ppm.  I'll test again tomorrow and check levels.

Ok so I've tested this morning and here are the results. 
20131021_114538_resized.jpg
So I'm going to add my full amount of Ammonia and test tomorrow.  We're getting there.
yes.gif

YeeeeHaaaaar!!!
winner.gif
 It's done!!!!!

I tested at 8am this morning (as I was too excited to wait. Also work meant that I'd be a couple of hours over the 24 hours).  As it was 8am, it was 3 hours early, so definitely within the 24 hour margin. AND LOOK!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to shout, but I'm really excited!!
20131022_083453_resized.jpg
Right do you all agree with me, that I'm cycled?
If so, I'm stocking on Saturday or Sunday.  So should I do the large water change Thursday (to let it settle)?  Also should I add a snack dose of Ammonia on Thursday or Friday?

That looks really good!
yes.gif

I don't think you need to worry about a snack dose, it's only 4 days until Sat or 5 until Sunday and the bacteria will be fine.  Put that bottle of ammonia away somewhere you never have to look at it again! :lol:
Thursday water change sounds like a good idea.
Which fish are you going to get?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back