I'm thinking about getting shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
There are many different types I could get. I've never owned any before. They would have to be compatible with my set up. I have platies in a 20 gallon with sand substrate, live plants, and a HOB filter. I'm afraid the platies could eat shrimp, but their babies swim right in front of them all the time and they have no reaction. All the babies I've seen never got eaten by the other platies.

Would shrimp work in this tank? If so, what kind, how many, and are there any other specifications I need to know?

Why would I need to cover the intake? Only weak and dying get caught in the intake I was told.
Thats incorrect. In proper conditions, shrimp will multiply in your tank. If the intake is not covered, the shrimplets will be sucked up. I would put a sponge over the intake just to be safe.

Thats incorrect. In proper conditions, shrimp will multiply in your tank. If the intake is not covered, the shrimplets will be sucked up. I would put a sponge over the intake just to be safe.
So, like for baby shrimp to survive. But platy fry doesn't get caught in the intake and they're pretty smaller.

Baby shrimps are a lot smaller than new born platy fry. And shrimps aren't as strong swimmers as fish. When they're swimming they look like a helicopter coming in to land.

I have red cherry shrimps and I always suck some up during a water change. I don't just pour the old water out of the bucket, I empty it with a small jug so I can see and rescue the shrimps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back