New things I learnt about shrimp

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
5,513
Reaction score
5,155
Points
113
Location
Berks
Some weeks ago I started my first shrimp only tank. I have kept neos for around 10 years but only ever in a fish tank, and many years ago I kept amanos.

Myth 1: They don't produce a lot of waste.
Well I know its not a good idea but I put them in a bare bottom tank. Even worse it has a white bottom. Fortunately the circulation in the tank means the waste all collects in one spot. But without sand to take it in or MTS (which all my other tanks have an abundance of) I can confirm that I was surprised at how much waste they do produce.
Myth 2: Shrimplets are good at hiding and will evade peaceful fish.
I am stunned at how many shrimplets I have in this tank. It seems like hundreds. I suspect the fish in my other tanks are just very well fed and a percentage of shrimps survive just because there are so many.
Myth 3: Shrimps don't like large water changes.
Ok - I already knew this one - all my tanks get the same treatment.

My shrimplets are about a week old now and still (I think) smaller than I have ever seen in a fish tank. It looks like there are hundreds - probably not but there certainly are several tens, and still 2 berried girls.
I did a 50% water change today as I'm off on my 3 week hols in the morning. Fingers crossed for the little guys. The tank is mature but fairly lightly planted so I resisted the urge to leave them extra food. There are so many I didn't trust myself to vac, so attached a hose to the filter outlet to drain the tank. Naturally I never cleaned the sponge filter or glass, so they should find enough food.
 
Myth 2 is 100% true in my case. I have hundreds in a 60L with 12 ricefish, and I see shrimplets all the time in the Susswassertang and the P.octopus bush sat above the internal filter. Strangely enough, I always see female rice fish laying eggs in these two spots, never bothering the shrimplets.
 
This isn't a myth but if you mix them with a few curiuos fishes the larger shrimps will punch them in the nose if they get too close.
 
Myth 4 I've read quite a bit about how they don't eat plants but only the dead bits on leaves. They will happily munch away on fresh leaves. Wisteria, Taiwan lotus. Brazilian Pennywort just to name a few they enjoy. I have 5 aquariums all with shrimps in and no snails.
 
Last edited:
I don't keep shrimp anymore, but I can attest to Myth one. My guys produced a ton of waste, the little black pellets would litter the substrate once they little guys started to reproduce. I found it extremely difficult to vacuum up the waste without vacuuming up all the shrimplets too.
 
The myth about the water changes is so true. A large siphon in a 5g tank with 15 ghost shrimp, yikes! The 5g is my first shrimp tank too, but all of them are doing well. Also, anyone ever notice how feisty they get at feeding time?
 
I do roughly 1/3 water changes on all my tanks, previously, except for my 4 - 10 gallon tanks with shrimp, and small live bearers ( tiger teddy fry are actually the same size or smaller than neocardia shrimp fry , and the teddies only have 1-2 at a time, so you really can’t afford to lose any…

so the gravel vacuum is out, but I recently started doing 1/3 water changes using a fine screened tip, on a syphon hose… (3/8 diameter syphon hose )
IMG_9395.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top