I'm scared my fish is going to die.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

whatacooldog

Reaction score
Hi, I have a male betta named Morty (almost a year and a half old) who has had a growth on one side of him for some time now. I originally didn't think much of it (or maybe just hoped it was fine?) but it has grown rapidly over time and now he seems to lay down very often. He used to come and excitedly greet me any time I came in, and now even if he does see me he may not move. I miss my peppy boy and don't know what to do. I'm guessing it's likely a tumor. What are my options? I'll try and get a pic posted later if he'll come out.
My tank is a 5.5 gal, 81 degrees F, with a gravel mixed substrate, has live plants, a moss ball, and artificial structures. There's no other fish besides him save for the copepod friends in there.

Here's an update with pics. Sorry for the algae, he's due for a water change today.

Attachments

• 20200706_145257.jpg
    20200706_145257.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 132
  • 20200706_145258.jpg
    20200706_145258.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200706_145301.jpg
    20200706_145301.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 20200706_145234.jpg
    20200706_145234.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200706_145053.jpg
    20200706_145053.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 113
if it grew over a period of months it's either a tumour or cyst. unfortunately there's no cure for tumours or cysts inside fish.

when he can't swim properly and stops eating, euthanise him

Its most likely a tumor if the fish got it gradually (over time). If the fish had it from the beggining then its nothing to worry about as it also could be a musce bulge. In the photos it looks like his belly is swollen too and I believe I see there pineconing. Is his belly swollen? Scales portruding from the fish?

Its most likely a tumor if the fish got it gradually (over time). If the fish had it from the beggining then its nothing to worry about as it also could be a musce bulge. In the photos it looks like his belly is swollen too and I believe I see there pineconing. Is his belly swollen? Scales portruding from the fish?
Scales are definitely protruding or at least like stretching around the tumor if that's what you meant. I don't think he had it at all when I first got him.

He looks good other than the lump. Let him live until he is no longer happy. Be sure to do a water change of 75% weekly. I have a betta that has decided he likes to lay in the gravel. Drives me nuts! I treated him for parasites and then a round of antibiotics. He still likes to lay on the gravel. He swims up to eat and get air. Been like that for a month. Doing fine otherwise. I don’t like him on the gravel but he seems to. :)

Are his scales portruding like a pineecone from his belly?
Actually looking at him again today, his scales do appear almost "pineconey". They're not sticking very far out, but it definitely isn't flat or smooth either.

Could you get a picture from the top?

Actually looking at him again today, his scales do appear almost "pineconey". They're not sticking very far out, but it definitely isn't flat or smooth either.
He's got dropsy, but I'd still need a picture of him from the top and from his side of his belly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back