missdarwin

Reaction score
:,( Hypnos has succumbed to ich :( :( :( he developed little white spots on his tail fin about a week ago, then he started to lose his red colour :( I transferred him straight into my hospital tank, treated him with bettafix and salt and kept up my water changes in the hospital tank all week! He just got worse and worse :( he started just hanging round at the top of the tank, his fins clamped and he stopped eating and this morning I found him at the bottom :,( :,( it's so sad :(

You need to treat the main tank as well. Ich is a protozoan parasite which is only treatable when it is in the free-swimming stage. When the nasties are actually on the fish, they are protected by the white casing. Your other fish are at risk.

I suggest getting an ich treatment, bettafix will not help (it's an anti-bacterial finrot treatment), and I don't really like the salt treatment, which wouldn't work if you don't turn up the temperature anyway. Also, don't carry out water changes, you will only be diluting the treatment. If you are UK based, I recommend Protozin by Waterlife, I'm not sure where else in the world this stuff is available.

Bettafix is not good for bettas.  It contains tea tree oil which can coat the betta's labyrinth organ which makes it hard for the betta to breathe.  Salt will not really work with ICH unless you up the temperature to about 86F.  I have had great success with high temps and salt to cure ICH but it does not work for everyone and every kind of fish.  Bettas can handle the temperature rise so this way tends to work for them.  I am sorry to hear that your boy passed away.  It is always awful to lose a pet.  :(  If you had the betta in a tank with other fish, you really do need to treat the main tank because the other fish are at risk. 

The only other thing in there is a cherry shrimp. I've caught him today and he's in a different tank for now.vive emptied the tank completely (all plants, substrate, everything). I've scrubbed the tank with Hibiscrub and rinsed with a power washer. I've removed the filter all together and binned it. I've ordered a new filter and have accepted ill have to start again with the tank cause I can't cope with the sadness of losing fish to this :(

I just don't get how it got into the tank.... The only things that go in new every week are his IAL, everything else has been there since the beginning....
I've ordered some of the Protazin lockman thanks for the recommendation :) I've blitzed everything again with boiling salt water to make sure the Hibiscrub is totally gone.

I'm really sorry to hear that D: The same thing happened to me awhile back. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back