I Got It For A Bargain, Now Need Help!

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
So as you know I was after an Arc tank for a couple of DP's well whats your luck? I went in to p@h and saw just the tank (35l) with no light,filter,heater but it did have a lid for £15!
It was at this price because it had no light and had been used on display. Fine no problem ill just clean it up!

They had 2 more for sale but the only difference was they was £38 pound in box brand new with filter but just didnt have a light. :crazy:

So I thought I will just buy the £15 one, clean it up and make it a budget tank. :hyper:

So now I know I need a light, heater, filter.
What size heater will i need? And what kind of filter?

I am popping up to a LFS around 2 so I need to know ASAP as I might purchase a heater and filter there. I think I will get the light off ebay.

Any recommendations on a nice cheap filter that will work for a 35l would be good aswell :good:

I just looked at a light on ebay and it was £38 pound OUCH!!!!

Any other ideas of a cheap light?

Thanks!
 
Heater - 50W

Filter - Fluval 2+ (1+ would be alright for the size but perhaps not the DP's). Considering the new U range has come out the + range has dropped in price. So you can get some pretty damn good bargains now.

Personally I would get the filter off of ebay too, unless you particularly want it now. Have a quick look online at the price difference of buying new and buying second hand on ebay. Or...phone your lfs and ask for prices?
 
I dont mind purchasing the filter on ebay it doesnt bother me. If you give me a list of a nice cheap filter + heater that I can purchase on ebay I would be more than happy :good:
 
watch some of the nanofilter things like the small stingrays as they have carbon bits and cartridges that you have to replace like for like. it can get expensive.

you can get filters for goldish bowls etc. powered by air pumps.

35 litre - is it a glass tank or plastic? If glass then 25 W would do it but if plastic you may need 50W as they loose heat faster.

If the lid has plenty of space under it then you could fit a short T5 lamp. Have a look at the lighting section and you should find a reflecter, and a converter from the mains to ~so many watts. Have a look to see how many watts the lamps are that are short enough to fit the lid.

If not growing live plants you could do better with a row of LED lights. Look up LED striplights for fishtanks in ebay - can get them with adaptors for a reasonable price.
 
The tank is glass not plastic. I will get a 25 watt heater. Damn this looks like its goign to be quite a bit of hassle :crazy:

Anybody that wants to make me a list of things I can get off ebay for my cheapest route I would be very happy :good:

I just looked at the LED lights, a strip of 24 LEDs from hong kong with adapter only works out to about £5 - I think I will purchase these, They say they are for fish tanks, so im guessing they are waterproof..right?
 
Research research research.

It may take a while but is well worth doing. saves a few bob too.
 
As far in internals go I've only ever had fluvals. And I think I always would to be honest so I'm not much help on the variety front, but....
On Ebay:
Fluval 2+ (Brand new on Buy It Now) - £16.94
Fluval 2+ (Used on Auction - 3days left) - £4.99 atm

Did a quick bit of searching for you.
 
have a look at the strip length. They usually come in 6 inch lengths. 24 leds would be 2 lengths I think.

Got some blue ones myself from a uk supplier. Always go UK for electrics from ebay unless you have good info from another buyer. UK supplier have to use CE certified electronics etc - safety checked. Foreigh ones dont.
 
I buy all my filters & heaters from ebay, I wanted a 25w a few weeks back, around £20 in lfs, brand new on ebay for £7.50, always buy UK if you can.
 
I have had a quick look around but can not find any. If you have any links to ebay items that are on auction filter,heater,light please post them here. :good:
 


I would probably buy from an english supplier m8 and personally would go for a 50watt amd not a 25w just purely for the winter months, i think 25w may struggle .... for filter a fluval 2+ as above mentions would be sufficient and quite cheap second hand :)
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back
Top