How Do You Justify Spending £20 On A Piece Of Wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
I have seen some very nice pieces of sumatran driftwood, they would make a perfect 'tree' shape. With what is basically a trunk and then branches. They'd also be the perfect proportion for my tank.

But just how do you justify spending £20 on a piece of wood?

Sumatran is A Nice wood to use for Scaping. £20 seems a bit steep though, How big is it

How do we justify most things in the hobby ? probably because of our love of it and the obsession it can become. You have seen that sumatran driftwood, and now you know you will buy it. :lol:

The pieces I'm looking at are all roughly 18" by 18"

And @ RiverDog, that actually made me LOL. You are probably spot on...hehe.

Claim it's an ancient relic that can only be kept underwater otherwise it's delicate nature means it will disintegrate :shifty:

Seriousely though i dread to think how much i've spent on fish an equiptment :X

bah wood is way over priced and I know that maybe 18 months ago wood was soo much cheaper! When I set up my old 90g I got all my wood for around £20 that was pre soaked and there was a hell of a lot of it some was even planted but even now just the standard wood chunks are expensive I got some 4 inch ish chunks for £2.50 each.

One thing I think retailers are doing are realising that they cant rely on just fish sales any more and more of the bigger stores are realizing the popularity of aquascaping you only need to look in PFK and I am guessing that this is just some people cashing in.

One bargain I have seen around at the moment is the tropica XXL plants on wood I got mine for £35 put it in the tank job done few red moore branches off some wood that I cut up looks good :) But besides the plants the wood are very good sizes and good twisting branches etc so will look good even if you have to hack down a bit.

Wills

I saw some wood used as a tree and it was awesome! They'd put moss balls on the end of each branch so it was kind of topiary :) Who have you got to justify it to? Get it-you know you want to!

£20! Bargain! i have ruined about that much in cost by sawing it and then deciding i didnt want to use it in the first place :rolleyes: go on aquaessentials, there are some lovely "tree" individual pieces, mainly redmoor root

good luck
Adam

It was a piece on AquaEssentials that I'd fallen in love with.

Hmm...can I REALLY justify treating myself to a £20 piece of wood though? Lol.

Here is the piece in question...
Wood1.jpg

Not quite as 'branchy' as I would like, but I could always add branches too it, and it's just too perfect shape and size wise.....
18" x 18"

My tank is 17.7" tall so it'd just poke out of the water which I like, and it's almost 32" long so it'd take up just over half of the tank. If you take a quick glance into my sig it'd be going slightly offset from centre towards the right(after advice from truck about it looking a bit symetrical)...

What do we think?
I've already sized it, placed it and dressed it in my head...lol.

There is a £34 piece that I actually wouldn't need to alter at all, it's need no new branches, none removing...etc but I decided I REALLLY can't justify £34.

Especially as I'm just about to pay for a driving test and going to Uni...lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back