Holy Moley- is it possible???????

Cooked and frozen. I take out two or 3 of them to defrost and then I cut them into pieces of different sizes. The two big clowns can eat the big ones but the smaller clowns and the barbs need smaller pieces.

I feed the tank Repashy for the clowns, frozen mysis and brine shrimp for all, flake for the barbs but the clowns eat anything. I have an assortment of Ebo Aquaristik foods (shrimp and mussel sticks, veggie sticks I feed for the clowns as well as my custom mix of kensfiish bigger sinking sticks. I also have freeze dried daphnia which the barbs eat as it floats for a while.

The cooked shrimp I have been feeding maybe once a week or so.

As I have written or said many time, all my fish are pigs, They will eat or try to eat anything they think might be food. The problem in the tank is when I started the fish off years ago I made the mistake of using the bigger size river gravel, It is rounded but it's size means food can slip down below the surface easily. The clowns know how to dig in this, they pick up a stone and toss it aside and then do it again until they get down to whatever piece of food is there. Sometime I hear stobes tossed against the glass.

This piggish tendency seems to be in any fish I keep. I am not sure, but I think some of my fish actually continue to eat for a while after they have died.....
I have to admit my clowns are a little bit less of a pig then you describe yours. They come in the morning to eat but after they grab what they want they quickly retire to their caves till evening while the other fishes finish off the food. The chocolate i have are also less of a pig then other fishes i own or own in the pass but of course some fishes i have are pigs as you describe - esp the various species of geo i own - they definitely fall into the category of eat all you can eat and then eat more.
 
Wanted to hive an updat. $ fish are still there and doing well. The bars are gone on them ll and two are starting tio show a hint of the rd strip forming. I tried to get a decnt picture but they never hold still. I tripod would work if they would not be all over the 6 foot width of the tank. The camera is old and the auto function cannot keep up wih them. I vae tried close up and at a distance using the telephoto, but I have failed so far. Maybe I chould just turn the camera around and shoot mysef...........
 
They still refuse to hold still for even a second so I can get a decent pic. But I can report all 4 are doing fine. They are approaching or at 1,75 inches and have a strong hint of the red striping and the the tail flags are clear, but still white. Anybody familiar with the species would easily ID them as denisonii. I am wondering when they might start swimming with the 7 bigger adults in the tank.

(edited for the usual typos, curse my dyslexic fingers)
 
Last edited:
It has now been about 5 months since I spotted the first fry. As you can see, there are two things contributing to how poor quality the pics posted so far have been. The first is the fish rarely hold still. The seconds is my digicam is at least 10 years old. Plus the fish are small and in a 6 foot long tank.

What I did last week was to shoot a bunch of close to whole tank shots trying to captures some images of how the look now as they are about 2 inches long TL. I managed to get 4 usable shots. They all have only 3 of the 4 fish in the pic even though I have all four alive and doing well. I am pretty sure al of the fish appear somewhere in the 4 shots. So, without fanfare or a drum roll........
of the fish appear somewhere in the 4 shots. So, without fanfare or a drum roll........

3 Denisoni Juvies May 2026.webp


3b Denisoni Juveniles May 2026.webp


3c Denisoni Juveniles May 2026.webp

3d Denisoni Jevieniles May 2026.webp


(fixed one typo only so in the 1sy it now reads "As you can see,")
 
Last edited:
Fairly decent pictures all things considered.
 
Well done! Mazel-tov!
 
This whole episode has been typical for my tanks. I have said for years that my well water apparently contains a natural fish aphrodisiac. I have had a lot of fish spawn in my tanks without any intention that they do so on my part. The one exception has been the B&W plecos.

The list of surprise spawnings started almost from day one. My first tank, a 45 gal. had both a hang on filter and an under gravel filter. The stand was a metal one which only supported the the frame. I had read that over time I could expect a build up of gunk under the filter plate. I also had decided to run the UGF using a powerhead rather than air. I eventually converted the system to being an RUGF. It was not uncommon that the process of removing the prefilterted powerhead to clean the prefilter caused me to pull the uplift tube out of the plate.

Fast forward and I decided I should take a look from under the tank to see what sort of gunk build up was under the plate. What I found was not much gunk but instead I spotted a number of swordtail and panda cory fry swimming around under the plate. I knew I had to free them and all that this entailed. By, that time I had also begun using live plants.

I had to break down the entire tank to free the fish. It also spelled the end of my foray in UGF/RUGFs. I had opted for a Marineland Emperor 400 filter on the tank but when I wanted to replace the RUGF I chose to get my first Aquaclear hang on, a 200 gph. It was also my first of a long list of surprise fry appearing in tanks.

The redlines were just the last species I added to the list. I even had threadfin rainbow fry show up, But when that happened I had no clue how to keep them alive and they only lasted a week before they were gone.

What makes this so interesting to me was that I had a list of rules I made up as I was working to get my first tank set up. Here are a few of those rules and how they worked out over time.
1. I never wanted one of those ugly fish that liked to suck onto the glass. No bristlenose for me.
Since then I have had at lease 1,000 plecos born in my tanks.
2. I would only keep fake plants in tanks since I had kept several gardens, both flowers and veggies for a number of years.
Since then I have had more live plants than I can count. I have had anubias outgrow my 6 foot tanks. I have had as many as a dozen planted tanks at one time.
3. I would never want on of those bulky under the tank filters.
I have had as many as 3 Eheim canisters running on tanks at the same time and still have 2 going today.
4. I had no desire at all to have any fish spawn in my tanks, However, I did feel that I should try to have both sexes for any species I might keep.
I have had a lot of fish give me both planned and unplanned fry over the years: assorted pleco species, assorted corys, 3 danio species, rosy barbs, 2 or 3 pseudomugil rainbow species, angels, P. nicholsi, the threafins above, Neo. davidi shrimp, betta imbellis, and finally the redline barbs.

It has been 26 years and I am sure I have forgotten a few species for the list above. I did not bother to include the swordtails since the harder thing to do is not to have them spawn. But they were why I had to get my second tank- to grow out swords. I have gotten surprise fry twice in tanks I was setting up and into which I was dosing ammonia. Both times I transferred eggs on plants without realizing I was doing so.

I did my first happy fish dance when I spotted my first tiny sword fry staring up at me from the cover of the floating plants in my first tank. I am still doing the dance these days, but with a bit less vigor as I seem to have aged for some reason


(edited for typos as usual)
:p
 
Last edited:
In the past day and a half I had two deaths of redlines in the 125. The first was the largest one of the group. I have had it for way longer than the rest of the group with which it arrived which had to be over 10 years ago and was likely closer to 12. So, this was no surprise.

However, when I went to feed tanks last night I discovered the rotting body of one of those which were born in the tank this past year. I have no idea what might have killed this one. If the clowns, especially the two really big ones, were responsible, then I should not have any of these barbs in the tank at all. But I have had a group of them in with the clowns for a very long time.

Finally, I see no abnormal behavior from either species in the tank. The remaining barbs are active and look fine. Since the death of the big one was very likely due to advanced age, it did not worry me. But for the smaller one to have died without any warning, physically obvious symptoms or behavior, I am a bit nervous about it.

This is basically a closed system. It has only held clown and barbs for some time now. The barb group is the second one in the tank. The first group came to me years back as the remainder of and import buy where most were sold at an NEC weekend when I was a vendor. And both groups went through multi-month quarantines before they were sold. I would buy 50 and any I did not sell I kept for myself.

Both groups were imported and arrived in Oct. and the NEC event was normally held in late March or early April.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top