FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I disagree.
The primer bulb saves you all the trouble and I can suck from tanks at almost any height and even at any water level.
Do you know how cheap the primer bulb? It's almost zero cost at my place.
It caused issues. When you squeeze it, it disrupts the substrate causing a ton of debris to cloud up...

@VioletThePurple

Can you get two buckets and a stool or chair? If you can, fill one bucket with water then take everything outdoors. Put the bucket filled with water on the stool/chair, the empty bucket on the ground next to it, and practise starting the siphon. If you have only one bucket, fill that with water and have the set up somewhere it doesn't matter if water goes everywhere out of the other end.

I've had two different types if siphon which both look like your photo. One had a little flap of blue plastic inside the blue bit, the other didn't. Shake the part with the blue bit next to your ear - if it makes a bit of a rattling sound it has the little fap, if it's silent it doesn't.
What the little flap does is stop the water flowing back down the tube while you are shaking it. The first shake pushes water past the blue bit and the flap keeps it there; the second shake pushes more water through the blue bit and so on. Once the water flows over the top of the loop of the bendy tubing, gravity then pulls water through the whole thing and you can stop shaking. The wide bit must be kept under water the whole time during shaking and once the siphon starts. If air gets into it, the siphon will stop.
Once the water is flowing, you poke the wide end into the gravel and watch the mess flowing out. If the gravel starts to go unto the wide bit, lift it just above the gravel and it will fall out.

If yours does not have the little flap, tell us as you have to start the siphon differently.

If you follow the video tip in the following post you do not need a bulb or strong lungs.
Pro tip: If you have a shut-off valve, close it when the vacuum tube is almost empty, reflood the tube underwater, open valve.

And how exactly are you doing it? RIGHT when you see the water start to go down the tube you put the siphon back in the tank. Don't wait for it to reach the bottom of the tube. As soon as it starts going.

I already tried that, it only worked for a few seconds, and I can't get it to work again.
I've had this happen before. You can get a vapor lock if there is air in a rising loop. Assuming the tube is not clogged, make sure the hose is laying flat on the floor and the lower end of the hose (the outlet) is as low as possible, the lower the better. Off a back porch, down the stairs, cliff etc.
It would also help to know the make/model of your siphon, or if you don't know, a pic.

Most siphons that I have seen do not include a primer bulb.

I guess we live in different world.

In my country, the shops rarely sell siphon without the primer bulb because the siphon without the primer bulb is more expensive (x1.5 to 2) than the siphon with primer bulb.

Most people will buy the siphon with primer bulb.

The siphon without primer bulb is probably made in Europe or Japan or Taiwan whereas the siphon with primer bulb is made in China.
So, the one that is made in China is often cheaper or the cheapest.

Easy.
Put one end of the hose in your tank, the other end in your mouth, suck. Stop sucking before the water hits your mouth. Make sure the end that was in your mouth is below the end in the tank. You will then have a siphon.

Easy.
Put one end of the hose in your tank, the other end in your mouth, suck. Stop sucking before the water hits your mouth. Make sure the end that was in your mouth is below the end in the tank. You will then have a siphon.
This is how I do it, every time

With a 25 foot hose, it takes approximately 7 seconds for the tank water to flow from the siphon end to the "suction" end...plenty of time to avoid getting tank water in your mouth

The first time I got one of these bulb-less type siphons, I was very confused about how it worked. I watched a YouTube video in which a guy tipped the tube in various ways and got the water to flow. When I tried it, it was hit and miss. Then I saw another video, in which the guy pushed tube rapidly up and down. Once I learned this technique, it has worked consistently for me every time. It’s easy peasy. I know a lot about physics, but I have to admit I don’t understand how this technique works.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back