FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is my first time using a proper siphon. I've followed all the instructions that came with it. The problem is, when it picks up waste the waste just falls out soon after instead of going in. Unless I tip it over to pour directly down into the tubes. The instructions told me to shake up and down, so I did that. It won't suck all the way up automatically. Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?

This is my first time using a proper siphon. I've followed all the instructions that came with it. The problem is, when it picks up waste the waste just falls out soon after instead of going in. Unless I tip it over to pour directly down into the tubes. The instructions told me to shake up and down, so I did that. It won't suck all the way up automatically. Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?
The waste is not going all the way up the tube because your suction is not that strong. Is the tank close to the ground? Is it on a stand?

It could clog quickly making the suction stop?

h

hmmm. Not sure what the problem could be then....
The problem is that she hasn't managed to get a syphon going in the first place. The "move it up and down rapidly" technique isn't the best.

@VioletThePurple you can watch the vid I linked, or you can suck on the bucket end of the tube while the tank end is underwater until enough water is flowing through. But then you risk a mouthful of tankwater. The video techniques are far easier, less messy, and less gross than choking on fish tank water.

The problem is, when it picks up waste the waste just falls out soon after instead of going in.
The problem is that she hasn't managed to get a syphon going in the first place. The "move it up and down rapidly" technique isn't the best.

@VioletThePurple you can watch the vid I linked, or you can suck on the bucket end of the tube while the tank end is underwater until enough water is flowing through. But then you risk a mouthful of tankwater. The video techniques are far easier, less messy, and less gross than choking on fish tank water.

I do see where she also attempted the shaking technique but it also could be she has so much stuff at the bottom that it clogs.

I guess I may have misunderstood the OP's question.
I have experienced what I thought was the same problem when the suction is not strong enough to pull the waste up into the tube. Its just "dances" around in the intake

I guess I may have misunderstood the OP's question.
I have experienced what I thought was the same problem when the suction is not strong enough to pull the waste up into the tube. Its just "dances" around in the intake
I guess either thing could be the problem then. I just figured since she said this is the first time she's ever used a syphon, she is likely to be struggling starting it off.

But if you've never cleaned the gravel and the tank is a couple of years old, think we may have discovered the cause of the cory deaths.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back