Honey Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Now, back to my thread...can anyone suggest any other gouramiā€™s?. Colin_T gave me several to consider but canā€™t locate some of them.
Does your LFS have any at all?

Could you ask your LFS to order them in for you? I'm in the process of setting up a tank to keep some Sparkling Gourami's and my LFS agreed to order them in for me as online postage is extortionate

Edited as I missed the first "r" from "order" lol

I measure head to tail on some fish. For instance, my comets and only to educate a member on how large the do get. For goldies, space needs to be included because most have a long tail. :)
The tail is never included when doing fish inch calculations for aquarium stocking.

Gouramis:

I've seen sparkling gouramis, honeys, dwarfs, pearls, several varieties of 3 spot in many LFS.
Dwarfs have health problems; three spots can be aggressive.
Sparkling could well be OK as you don't have fish which would intimidate them.

I've once seen one of the larger Trichopsis but I can't remember now which one. They are related to sparkling gouramis and look similar, just a bit bigger.

Then there are thick lipped gouramis, Trichogaster labiosa,which look a bit like dwarfs but the same size as pearls (and two colours - striped and red). These are supposed to good for community tanks.
Banded gouramis, Trichogaster fasciata, which are also a striped fish like natural coloured dwarfs but about the same size as pearls.
And the delicate chocolate gouramis which I think I've seen in LFS but their reputation is too delicate for me to risk.

There are also bigger gouramis which I would not risk with small fish like neons - they might see neons as a tasty snack.

If you can't get pearls, can your LFS get thick lipped?

Gouramis:

I've seen sparkling gouramis, honeys, dwarfs, pearls, several varieties of 3 spot in many LFS.
Dwarfs have health problems; three spots can be aggressive.
Sparkling could well be OK as you don't have fish which would intimidate them.

I've once seen one of the larger Trichopsis but I can't remember now which one. They are related to sparkling gouramis and look similar, just a bit bigger.

Then there are thick lipped gouramis, Trichogaster labiosa,which look a bit like dwarfs but the same size as pearls (and two colours - striped and red). These are supposed to good for community tanks.
Banded gouramis, Trichogaster fasciata, which are also a striped fish like natural coloured dwarfs but about the same size as pearls.
And the delicate chocolate gouramis which I think I've seen in LFS but their reputation is too delicate for me to risk.

There are also bigger gouramis which I would not risk with small fish like neons - they might see neons as a tasty snack.

If you can't get pearls, can your LFS get thick lipped?
Good info. Iā€™ll go talk to them.

OK. I ordered a pearl gourami. So excited! Thanks for all the help! He will be small right now. Can I QT him in a 5G temporarily? They are all that I have empty at the moment.

Honey gouramis are nice little fish. They come in a wild colour form as well as orange, red and white colour forms. The fish in the first post is an orange colour form.

They are small and peaceful and have very few issues. In my opinion, the wild colour form is nicer than the man made crap but each to their own. You can sex the wild colour forms quite easily, but the man made colours are hard to distinguish the different sexes.

You can have a pair (male and female) in the tank or one on its own. As with all labyrinth fishes, males will argue and fight with each other. In a big tank it's not a real problem but in small tanks the dominant male eventually kills the weaker males through bullying.

One of the members here bred them a couple of years ago, see following link.

They make a nice fish for a community tank with small species like peaceful tetras.

Have you heard of a female honey gourami being aggressive and beating up other fish?

I ended up getting my first tank in an attempt to save the male honey gourami from my dad's tank that was being beaten up by the silver female. I'm sure it was a honey male, and the bully was silver, so must have been female, right? They were also the only two gourami in a 57 gallon tank. But I saw the male in a bad way, and got a tank to put him in and try to save him. Didn't work, he passed away :( My dad then added a new male gourami, and she went mad attacking him too, so he ended up returning the female.

Is that pretty unusual? Perhaps she was mis-sold, and wasn't a honey female? They're meant to be peaceful, especially the females! But I remember her strutting around the tank, looking for fights, and the way she went at the males.

Female honey gouramis that have original wild colouration are silver with a dark line along the body. See following link for a male and female (normal colour form).

Females that are from the orange, red or white colour forms are the same colour as the males, either orange, red or white.

If you had a female dwarf gourami (Colisa lalius), then it would probably attack other species of gourami like honeys, if they entered her territory.

However, if it was a female honey gourami and she was attacking males of her own kind, that would be very unusual. She might have been a male in a female's body, yes transgender fish, birds and other animals do occur.

If you had a female dwarf gourami (Colisa lalius), then it would probably attack other species of gourami like honeys, if they entered her territory.

However, if it was a female honey gourami and she was attacking males of her own kind, that would be very unusual. She might have been a male in a female's body, yes transgender fish, birds and other animals do occur.

It might have been a female dwarf, that would make more sense, and I wasn't into fishkeeping then beyond a passing interest in my parents tank. I couldn't tell you for sure. I know when I took him to the store to return her I checked the tank she'd come from, and it was labelled female gourami (I'd wondered if he'd accidentally bought a male) but they could have been mislabelled as honey's, or labelled as female dwarf, and he and I didn't know the difference between dwarf and honeys. I just know she was vicious and killed the male honey. Apparently, she'd made the whole 57 gallon her territory!

Can I QT him in a 5G temporarily? They are all that I have empty at the moment.
It's doable with care. I quarantined mine in a 6.5 gallon - 3 the first batch and 2 the second. It was cramped for them but with a lot of silk plants to break up line of sight they coped. The gourami will no doubt be quite young, so a lot smaller than its adult size.

they could have been mislabelled as honey's, or labelled as female dwarf,
A lot of shops label honey gouramis as dwarf honey gouramis or honey dwarf gouramis. This gives the impression that they are dwarf gouramis of a honey colour variety. If your shop did this it's possible your father thought the male was dwarf and bought a dwarf female to go with him.

Most reactions

trending

Back