Honey Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Female honey gouramis that have original wild colouration are silver with a dark line along the body. See following link for a male and female (normal colour form).

Females that are from the orange, red or white colour forms are the same colour as the males, either orange, red or white.

If you had a female dwarf gourami (Colisa lalius), then it would probably attack other species of gourami like honeys, if they entered her territory.

However, if it was a female honey gourami and she was attacking males of her own kind, that would be very unusual. She might have been a male in a female's body, yes transgender fish, birds and other animals do occur.

"Transgender fish, birds and other animals occur?" And how do we know this?

ETA - I do know about clownfish and a few other animals that "actually" change sex, but that isn't the same thing as "transgender persons" who can never change their actual sex, but change their gender presentation.

Last edited:
The shown fish is indeed a T.labiosa and not a T.chuna.

Red honeys aren't honeys.

ETA - I do know about clownfish and a few other animals that "actually" change sex, but that isn't the same thing as "transgender persons" who can never change their actual sex, but change their gender presentation.
Animals have been cut open and looked inside and both sex organs have been there (eg, penis, testes and uterus).

There are birds that develop half male and half female colouration, and have both sex organs (ovaries and testes).

There are numerous animal species fish, squid, reptile, where the males display as females to survive and mate when a more dominant male is around.

There are numerous animal species fish, squid, reptile, where the males display as females to survive and mate when a more dominant male is around.
True. But those are survival instincts and not a "desire" or "feeling" that they want to live as the opposite sex.

For instance, birds can be opportunistic when it comes to mating. Most people who have bred birds or had lots of birds (me) have had a same-sex pair in their flock. The reason I say that they are "opportunistic" rather than gay is because most of the time, introducing a female will split the pair, although the rare same-sex pairings do exist who will stay faithful to one another. Whether they are gay or just strongly bonded I don't know. The point I'm making is that we anthropomorphize animals with human feelings and desires, when animals actually have their own reasons for doing what they do.

Animals aren't transgender because they "feel" like the opposite sex. They actually "become" the opposite sex! It is an evolutionary feature of their specific species.

Also, the cardinal that is half male/half female is a genetic
anomaly that I would love to see in person!

As for the aggressive female gourami, I'm inclined to think that she's just cranky. (ok...anthropomorphizing. LOL).

Last edited:
True. But those are survival instincts and not a "desire" or "feeling" that they want to live as the opposite sex.

For instance, birds can be opportunistic when it comes to mating. Most people who have bred birds or had lots of birds (me) have had a same-sex pair in their flock. The reason I say that they are "opportunistic" rather than gay is because most of the time, introducing a female will split the pair, although the rare same-sex pairings do exist who will stay faithful to one another. Whether they are gay or just strongly bonded I don't know. The point I'm making is that we anthropomorphize animals with human feelings and desires, when animals actually have their own reasons for doing what they do.

Animals aren't transgender because they "feel" like the opposite sex. They actually "become" the opposite sex! It is an evolutionary feature of their specific species.

Also, the cardinal that is half male/half female is a genetic
anomaly that I would love to see in person!

As for the aggressive female gourami, I'm inclined to think that she's just cranky. (ok...anthropomorphizing. LOL).

The marine parrot fish is a good example of born female, turn male. But, yes, humans anthropomorphize everything. Instinct just seems hard for us to understand

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back