Honey Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Anybody have one. Would like to know pros and cons. Thinking about adding one to my 55G which has neon tetras and bronze/albino cories.

Attachments

• B549269C-5565-4E28-A943-7188D85C42E3.png
    B549269C-5565-4E28-A943-7188D85C42E3.png
    213 KB · Views: 111
It’s being sold as a honey on EBay. Oh well, scratch that then. Thank you.
Looks like a honey to me. Just the red colour form (aka red robin)

20210321_222921.jpg

Edit. Just looked into this and crispii maybe right. There does seem to be confusion what they are.

Probably right in passing and getting the true honey colour to be safe

They are lovely little fish

Last edited:
Looks like a honey to me. Just the red colour form (aka red robin)

View attachment 132276

Edit. Just looked into this and crispii maybe right. There does seem to be confusion what they are.

Probably right in passing and getting the true honey colour to be safe

They are lovely little fish
Thank you so much. Yep, they called it a red sunset also. I don’t want to get only one if it won’t be happy but don’t want to end up with 2 males. I read they are like bettas and can be quite happy alone but also read they will be shyer. Still thinking about it.

Last edited:
Looks like a red honey to me. A great little fish, way better than a Dwarf Gourami. Being me, get a female and have them spawn, the young are really cool.

Honey gouramis are nice little fish. They come in a wild colour form as well as orange, red and white colour forms. The fish in the first post is an orange colour form.

They are small and peaceful and have very few issues. In my opinion, the wild colour form is nicer than the man made crap but each to their own. You can sex the wild colour forms quite easily, but the man made colours are hard to distinguish the different sexes.

You can have a pair (male and female) in the tank or one on its own. As with all labyrinth fishes, males will argue and fight with each other. In a big tank it's not a real problem but in small tanks the dominant male eventually kills the weaker males through bullying.

One of the members here bred them a couple of years ago, see following link.

They make a nice fish for a community tank with small species like peaceful tetras.

Yellow honey gouramis were the most popular colour here when I had mine. The red variety is tricky to sex if you want more than one. The natural colour is easy, though sometimes males in shops are so stressed they are bleached out and look like females. Yellows are next easiest, while I find reds impossible.

If you want either natural or yellow honeys, I can tell you what to look for.

Females of these fish and Dwarf Gouramis are not usually sold at a LFS as they are boring and nobody wants them

Yellow female honey gouramis are almost as colourful as males and in the UK it is usual to see a shop tank with mixed sexes with this variety.
Maybe I'm just lucky where I live but there are always mixed sexes with wild coloured honeys as well, though this variety is not sold nearly as often as yellows and reds.

Honey gouramis are sold as is, not as males or females like the dwarf gouramis and guppies. When shops get them, they get a mixture of males and females. It's up to the shop and the person buying them to try and pick the sexes.

Most reactions

trending

Back