Honey Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you want either natural or yellow honeys, I can tell you what to look for.

I've got yellow honey gourami. As per another thread the male just died. I'm waiting a while to see if the females are ok before adding a new male.

I'd be interested in your opinion on how to tell the difference between males/females as they looked very similar.

My male was a little smaller and had a bright red tinge to his tail fin. He developed a blue throat when he was in mating dress, but in the shop this wasn't there.

Any other tips on what to look for?

With yellows, the males tend to have more orange at the tail end than females. Females tend to have a hint of a stripe from nose to tail, though not all females show this. And I could always tell by their behaviour. Males would be more up front, darting about; females usually just wander around and probably pecking at the bottom of the tank in the hope of finding food.

Like the natural colour, yellow males do develop a black throat when mature and not stressed, though it tends to be less intense with yellows.

Honeys are OK, but I prefer the pearls...males are more colorful, yes, but the females are just as pretty, IMO

Attachments

• gouramis.jpg
    gouramis.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 66
I had mine when I had a smaller tank. It was only after the honeys all passed away that i decided that now I have a biggert ank I'd get pearls instead.

Sorry, @Deanasue we have hijacked your thread :blush: But you will find some info on the yellow variety of honeys mixed in with it :)

Looks like a red honey to me. A great little fish, way better than a Dwarf Gourami. Being me, get a female and have them spawn, the young are really cool.
I thought it was a dwarf gourami???

I have 2 males, one in the 40B (with a 3 spot), and one in my 29G...they do fine e jusingly, as well as in 1 m/ few female groups
Great, so you have just one in a tank. Does he come out or is he shy? I’m confused by prior post from another member. Are they considered dwarf gourami’s?

The photo in the first post isn't a dwarf - the red variety of those has a turquoisey dorsal fin.

There are red gouramis sold as honeys or red robin gouramis but there is dispute over whether they really are honeys, or thick lipped passed off as honeys or even a hybrid of honey gourami with another gourami. They do tend to grow bigger than natural or yellow honeys, whatever they are. I always avoided them as I couldn't tell the males from the females.

Pearl gouramis as in Slaphppy's photo would also be good in a 55 gallon tank. I have some chilli rasboras in with mine and the gouramis leave them alone so you'd be safe with a pearl and neons.

The photo in the first post isn't a dwarf - the red variety of those has a turquoisey dorsal fin.

There are red gouramis sold as honeys or red robin gouramis but there is dispute over whether they really are honeys, or thick lipped passed off as honeys or even a hybrid of honey gourami with another gourami. They do tend to grow bigger than natural or yellow honeys, whatever they are. I always avoided them as I couldn't tell the males from the females.

Pearl gouramis as in Slaphppy's photo would also be good in a 55 gallon tank. I have some chilli rasboras in with mine and the gouramis leave them alone so you'd be safe with a pearl and neons.
It looks like they need a little warmer water than my cories seem to like. I keep the tank at 74F. I guess I need to scratch the gourami dea. Thanks for all the info. Very helpful!

Great, so you have just one in a tank. Does he come out or is he shy? I’m confused by prior post from another member. Are they considered dwarf gourami’s?
Honeys aren't dwarfs.
And yes, the one in the 29G is not shy at all, he has about 35 dithers to play with, but he usually just hangs out at the top...doesn't bother the shrimp or snails in there, either...

It looks like they need a little warmer water than my cories seem to like. I keep the tank at 74F. I guess I need to scratch the gourami dea. Thanks for all the info. Very helpful!
My 29G is kept at 73.5, my 40B around 74...it would be fine

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back