Hi, new user here -- One of my guppies disappeared without a trace

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyFanaticxd

Reaction score
Hello, new user here so apologies if I am in the wrong area. I have also recently started to take care of guppies, as I've heard they are one of the easier fish to take care of as a beginner.I own an all male guppy tank (10 gallons and established), with 3 cobra and 3 fancy guppies. I've had them for almost a week now, but as of this morning, one of the guppies disappeared without a trace. I've tried looking everywhere through the decorations, as well as the filter tube and the filter itself, only to come up with nothing. There is nothing outside of the tank as well, and I'm starting to something worse has happened without me knowing. What could have happened? What can I do with the tank to ensure something like this doesn't happen?

Water parameters are 78 F, 0 ppm nitrites, 10 ppm nitrates, and 0 ppm ammonia.

Either the guppy jumped and was not found, or he died and the others ate his body

...yikes. Should I do anything in the tank though?
Do a 50% water change to prevent an ammonia spike and keep an eye on the other fish.

Was the tank cycled?

Is it possible they are the entire body though in a day ?

Mine have. I noticed one died but had to leave right away and couldnt net it out and when I got back that evening the body was totally gone. I even removed all the plants.
%100 agree. They could eat whole body I've had it done. With guppies I doubt the killed him just ate him after he passed. So I don't think any tank mate issues.
ALSO water changes in case pieces of body in filter ect. To limit ammonia spike.

...yikes. Should I do anything in the tank though?
This is one of those things that just happens. Nothing you can or could have done. Guppies usually won't eat their dead but fish are funny. You never know what they'll do. It's either still in there and you can't find him or he did jump out and flopped around on the floor in his death throes until he maneuvered himself out of sight. Guppies are nice fish and they are easy to take care of. They are hardy and tolerate our little mistakes in fish keeping well. The guppy will take any kind of food, it does not fight and it is not timid. It has a tolerance to a wide range of temperatures and can stand foul water to a certain degree. It bears live young profusely and matures quickly. They're great !

This is one of those things that just happens. Nothing you can or could have done. Guppies usually won't eat their dead but fish are funny. You never know what they'll do. It's either still in there and you can't find him or he did jump out and flopped around on the floor in his death throes until he maneuvered himself out of sight. Guppies are nice fish and they are easy to take care of. They are hardy and tolerate our little mistakes in fish keeping well. The guppy will take any kind of food, it does not fight and it is not timid. It has a tolerance to a wide range of temperatures and can stand foul water to a certain degree. It bears live young profusely and matures quickly. They're great !

Looks like I'll have to accept this sad reality :(
Still, I wonder what could have killed that guppy before everyone else ate it.

It is a sad reality but it happens to everybody. I believe in a phenomenon that I call "Sudden Unexplained Fish Death ". A perfectly healthy fish dies for no apparent reason at all. No explanation. Then you sometimes have a fish that rivals Methuselah for longevity. Again, no explanation. Welcome to the mysterious world of tropical fish.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with @Back in the fold we have all had this happen. Also if your tank is not established (running less than 6 months) it is unstable and may be prone to having fish issues.
My tank is established, I had it for several months before adding any fish, as well as adding API quick start to help speed up the process.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back