Ggrrr Newbies And The Lfs That Screw Em Up..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha! :p u shuld b easier on ppl sometimes its nt dere fault dey get the wrong info. ive been there a few times myself juz chillax and noe that these newbs rnt as good as u r with fish B)

haha! u shuld b easier on ppl sometimes its nt dere fault dey get the wrong info. ive been there a few times myself juz chillax and noe that these newbs rnt as good as u r with fish cool.gif

Translation: You should be easier on people. Sometimes it isn't their fault they get the wrong information. I've been there a few times myself. Just chill and know that these newbies aren't as good as you are with fish. [End translation]

As a beginner myself, I can relate a bit. Hash tones don't don't get the information through any better, they just make people turn away from the forumn, and therefore away from valuable information. Granted, he wasn't very receptive... but catch more filies with honey, you know what I mean? -_-

Anyways, my 2 cents.

I think overall, people who come here care about their fish, so some credit should be given for that alone. Far too many people have fish and couldn't care less why one won't eat, or why one is lying on the floor of the tank... give people credit for wanting to take better care of their fish... and to some degree make allowances for them believing bad advice.. joe bloggs would always assume that the guy in the fish shop is telling you the truth, cos he knows what he is talking about, right? :crazy:

I have been following the threads in question and have myself felt a little frustrated.

I think it is important to remeber that people receive contradictory information from many sources and sometimes it is exactly because they have done the research. I have personally been researching a certain fish only to become more confused the more I researched.

I have permanently left other forums because of the aggressive tone people take with newbies as I think it is counter productive. The number one priority is the safety and health of the fish is it not? When we deal with newbies aggressively we run the risk of driving them away, perhaps even from all forums. This will leave them with only the advice of the LFS, which we all know can be very bad.

If responding to newbie questions however stupid you percieve them to be is too frustrating then perhaps it is best to not follow their threads. That being said it would be a shame to deprive them of the experience and knowledge.

I have been following the threads in question and have myself felt a little frustrated.

I think it is important to remeber that people receive contradictory information from many sources and sometimes it is exactly because they have done the research. I have personally been researching a certain fish only to become more confused the more I researched.

I have permanently left other forums because of the aggressive tone people take with newbies as I think it is counter productive. The number one priority is the safety and health of the fish is it not? When we deal with newbies aggressively we run the risk of driving them away, perhaps even from all forums. This will leave them with only the advice of the LFS, which we all know can be very bad.

If responding to newbie questions however stupid you percieve them to be is too frustrating then perhaps it is best to not follow their threads. That being said it would be a shame to deprive them of the experience and knowledge.

I totally second everything Biff has said. As a newbie here, but not to fishkeeping or forums in general, lots of opinions and different sources is the only way to learn. If you get all your advice from one person, its likely to be biased, and in the case of an LFS person advising you, its very likely to be to get a sale!!! It is a shame if forums and threads turn into arguments as it will drive people away, and then they are not likely to receive the help that they are asking for and need. I have deliberately kept away from some of the heated threads on here but just wanted to voice my opinion on this one. I don't think it is fair or very mature to make a post deliberately to complain about a forum member. If you have an issue, contact them directly.

Otherwise I think this place is great and you have all been extremely helpful and polite to myself, so I have no complaints whatsoever ;)

I have to agree with mamafish ,that post would have kept going in the same direction which was nowhere,
the comments where harsh but needed.

The opions do vary and people are bias take for example minimum size for mbuna this ranges from 32g to 75g but most will say 55g so if your buying a tank or thinking of keeping mbuna what would you buy ? taht would be a 55g right ( my opion its still to small )

Another edit i need a rant.

lfs advice is useless unless its a very good lfs with a very good staff as a newbie you can spend a lot of money and end up with a mess i did have a look a my first stock which was adviced by a so called expert.

1 labidochromis trewavasae
3 melanochromis auratus
1 metriaclima greshakei
3 Melanochromis Johanni
1 Metriaclima crabro
3 Cyrtocara moorii
1 Cynotilapia afra red top
1 Melanochromis joanjohnsonae
2 Aulonocara baenschi
4 yellow labs
2 golden sucking loach

Im finished now :D

Thank you everyone, thank you adam, for one thats been on the recieving end of a blast or 2 of mine I was glad to read your post, this kid had been given the chance and I had waited all day not to mention the Pm(s) I recieved regarding this thread asking for my attention and one even asked for him to be blasted, trust me, those that know me know I've been tame to him as it warrents it, he's not some dirt bag that was described above by sparklefuzz (cute sn btw) he does care about his fish but needs to be shaken up some and thats where I come in, I know there are tons of folks that will hold his hand and be kind and nice and so it should be that way,BUT when they give advice and it's ignored or not taken into account that they might know more or expierenced more thats where I step in and shake the person up.

I'm a mother first and formost I have 2 children under 12 and see them make their own mistakes and I step back and let them fall but when they do the same thing over and over again and never learn, I step in, i'm a strict mother and that carries over into many other aspects of my life and hobbies, maybe it should maybe it shouldnt but thats the way it is, I'm not going to appologize for trying to educate someone that seems to repeat screw ups time and time again.

99% of the time I'll read a thread and as it progresses I'll keep up with it and wont even post, I let the many other extremely knowledgable people handle it but when ASKED to step in I do which has happened many times. I would have never known about this guy and his problems if not being asked to post, I dont go to other areas much at all so if he wants my help, he can ask for it.

I'm not here to hand hold and kiss a**,

I'm here to keep fish alive....

Ah boasting about flaming, that's a new level for you mamafish.

When you get spoken to like an idiot, shouted at, bluntly spoken to, do you like it?

You live for the arguments it seems, you jump on many people, completely disagreeing with their way, as your way is always right, some new news you say alot of wrong stuff!

Starting a new thread just to flame someone aswel, why?

i agree with jayjay, its one thing to humiliate and flame someone on another thread on another part of the forum, but to bring it over here, and start a whole thread (which is completely off-topic) aimed at this person and to show off how you humiliated and "hurt his feewings" to other members is a horrible form of bullying in my opinion. Why do it? the only reason i can think of is just to be a show off, and i know youve got a little bunch of friends in this part of the forum, and you want to show off to them, but it is still unacceptable. :grr:

I totaly agree with what geo7x and jay jay have said .People pm-ing you so that they can watch you flame someone they are tossing you a line and reeling you in mamafish and you took the bait hook line and sinker.Do you honestly think what had to be said had to come from you , come on mamafish i would of thought you were more inteligent than that .

Not that I ever come in here at all but I have to say that I'm appalled! This is certainly my biggest pet peeve about this forum. I hate it when people flame eachother for how they have their tanks set up, aggressively worded advice is almost always thrown out and only brings an argument. I'll bet that if someone had calmly mentioned that the LFS had tricked the poor guy and suggested returning the fish till the proper housings could be arranged things might not have come to this! instead everyone has made themselves out to be complete asses! Give the guy a chance next time before you go off on what you don't agree with.

and still somehow I don't feel better. Odd isn't it?

SLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back