FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've recently added 13 Odessa barbs to an existing 12 peppered cories, and the barbs have since made the tank their own. Which is perfectly fine.
I'm very fond of corydoras, and before the barbs, they were thriving and spawning. But I'm now noticing some of the cories have slightly nipped fins.
My immediate thought is that I can't keep these fish together much longer, and I'll get another tank to rehome either one. Whilst getting a new tank is usually a desirable event for fishkeepers, I'm probably being too impulsive here and disregarding other possibilities..(?) Is my feeding wrong? Do I need more barbs / cories? Also, I'm quite sure I've plenty more male barbs than female, which is quite the opposite of the advised ratio. Would female barbs be less likely to nip cories? Can these fish actually get along with any other species?

Let's pretend I've already got this 2nd tank and its the same size if not larger than my existing 200 litre/53 gallon...
If it is larger, then would we agree that this is a more beneficial home for the Odessa than the cories?
I'm not going to be in a position budget wise to provide a decent sized filter for this second tank anytime soon. Seeing as my current tank is heavily planted, and under stocked, I thought perhaps I could remove the filter (APS 1400ef+) and use that on the new tank. Leaving the plants to deal with the nitrogen, and a wave maker for the circulation?
So in this pretend world, I now have a 200 litre planted with 12, much happier, cories running without a filter. And a second similar sized tank (with cannister filter) with 13 Odessa barb.

For me this certainly solves the problem. I would then likely approach the stocking of each tank as aggressive (barb tank) and non-aggresive (corydoras tank). Both with a fairly low temperature (68-72F))

Probably not the correct way to approach setting up a new tank, anyone think I'm being too hasty?

Running a tank without a filter is doable if you know what you are doing - Im sure somewhere I have seen articles that specify a plant mass to fish ratio? Could you look at doing a DIY sponge filter? I believe there are guides out there so you just need filter tubing, sponge and an air pump and line?

For the Oddessa tank what about doing some nice Synodontis and maybe some Yellow Panchax? I reckon the panchax would be able to deal with them no problem and most Synodontis are no push over as they live with Rift Cichlids. A Ctenopoma of some kind would be nice too as a centre piece fish :)

Wills

A DIY sponge filter is a great idea! Just to help the established, well planted tank along, and it'll provide aeration. I've been using these airpumps that come as a kit with a decent amount of airline tubing, two water check valves and two airstones. Eleven quid;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G8AC1V6/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A DIY sponge filter is a great idea! Just to help the established, well planted tank along, and it'll provide aeration. I've been using these airpumps that come as a kit with a decent amount of airline tubing, two water check valves and two airstones. Eleven quid;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G8AC1V6/?tag=
I do have an airpump already running on there actually. When you buy sponge filters do they usually come equipped with an airpump?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do have an airpump already running on there actually. When you buy sponge filters do they usually come equipped with an airpump?
No, usually you buy the airpump and the sponge filter separately. Sponge filters are cheap too, my double sponge has little chambers for bio media too, and it wasn't pricy.

I would personally get a filter. Non-filter tanks can be done, but are not the best...

I say, if you can, get the tank? (MTS starting to kick in? ;))

I would personally get a filter. Non-filter tanks can be done, but are not the best...

I say, if you can, get the tank? (MTS starting to kick in? ;))
Yes, MTS must be getting at me!

I've been tempted to experiment a little with removing the filter. Again, massively under stocked so can't see any harm being done. Filters can be nitrate factories. And most plants prefer ammonia as source of nitrogen. So, arguably, my filter could already be doing very little if my plants are absorbing any available ammonia? At most its likely doing the job of mechanical filtration and providing some circulation

Running a tank without a filter is doable if you know what you are doing - Im sure somewhere I have seen articles that specify a plant mass to fish ratio? Could you look at doing a DIY sponge filter? I believe there are guides out there so you just need filter tubing, sponge and an air pump and line?

For the Oddessa tank what about doing some nice Synodontis and maybe some Yellow Panchax? I reckon the panchax would be able to deal with them no problem and most Synodontis are no push over as they live with Rift Cichlids. A Ctenopoma of some kind would be nice too as a centre piece fish :)

Wills
2 fish I've never heard of and another I've no experience with, i love these suggestions. So many fish i won't be aware of that have the potential to fit into my plan :good:
Had a quick browse of the synodontis and they seem to prefer it a bit warmer than the Odessa.
The others look like they could fit.. will keep reading up!

My 20g Long currently does not have a filter in it. It only has an airstone.

I prefer some water movement in a tank, as apposed to none.

My 20g Long currently does not have a filter in it. It only has an airstone.

I prefer some water movement in a tank, as apposed to none.
yes definitely, I prefer a lot of flow to be honest, well, should I say I enjoy the type of fish that prefer a lot of flow.

It does have a wavemaker on there, but it would probably require an additional one

For a tank that large, yes, that would be ideal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back