Fun Facts We Didn't Need To Know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Depends on where in the world you are, what you call a "daddy long legs". Here in the UK, I've heard people call cellar spiders that (which are a proper spider) while in my area, it's one of the common names for a crane fly, which isn't a spider at all, and just buzz about uselessly, dangling their legs in the air and accidentally banging into walls, windows, humans etc.
That's the trouble with common names. Can be talking about different creatures with a shared common name. :)
Makes sense, I can see DLL used for cellars.

We called the crane flies Pteradactyls

People around here have referred to crane flies as "mosquito hawks" for years, which makes absolute zero sense to me, lol
Ive always been told that parents call them that because they are trying to keep their kids from being scared "oh it eats mosquitos its harmless its your friend" where it eats grass lol

Yah... and did you know daddy long legs could easily kill a human with its venom but it's fangs are too small to get a grip on our skin! Crazy!
1656118307599.gif

That’s a myth that daddy long legs can kill humans. Even if their fangs (which are indeed too short to pierce human skin) could pierce our skin, the venom could not harm us.

The only muscle in the human body that works without any skeletal support is the tongue.
The strongest muscle in the human body is your masseter, the muscles located on each side of your jaw. They lift the lower jaw and are used for chewing.

GGGAAAAAAHHH!
I hate that I'm scared of spiders. I work hard to challenge and overcome my phobia, because I know it's illogical, spiders are fascinating in their own right, and an important part of the ecosystem. Plus giving in to the phobia only reinforces it. I can hold a tarantula. Held a goliath bird eating spider once, which reared up while in my hands and made me think I was gonna die... I can handle small - medium spiders, and we don't have dangerous/risky ones here.

But huntsman... I just couldn't! Being both massive, and fast, just isn't fair.
They're not a high venom risk to humans though, right? Unless someone happened to have an allergic reaction maybe?
I can handle all sorts of creepy critters (snakes, rats, bats) but spiders freak me out. If they are outside, I give them space and go on my way. If they are in the house, my heart starts to race and I freeze up. The bigger they are, the worse my panic. Eventually, I can override that feeling long enough to scoot them out the door but only just.

I do have a jumping spider living in my van, she has a web in the upper dash by the window. I do not bother her and she leaves me alone. My husband has tried numerous time to evict her but she scuttles into the AC vent before he can catch her. He said I might as well name her and just pray she doesn't have kids cause I am stuck with her. 😳

Her name is Dorothy.

When I lived in Florida some people would just about bop you upside the head if you killed a wolf spider and I was one of those people. Actually really cool critters that don't even make webs. But MAN are they hunters! Will hunt down and kill just about any other bug you could think of. They are totally cool and stay out of your way. Some people actually believe that having one in a house is a sign of good fortune.

When I lived in Florida some people would just about bop you upside the head if you killed a wolf spider and I was one of those people. Actually really cool critters that don't even make webs. But MAN are they hunters! Will hunt down and kill just about any other bug you could think of. They are totally cool and stay out of your way. Some people actually believe that having one in a house is a sign of good fortune.
I used to catch them all the time in Kentucky where they are huge!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back