Fun Facts We Didn't Need To Know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm OK with most spiders but there is one that turns my stomach. I can't deal with banana spiders which I also met in Florida. These things can get a foot or more across. Just NOT my cup of tea! They also make massive webs. Had one between my house in Florida and my neighbor. We decided that we would just leave it alone and not even mow that area. We rationalized by saying that it killed a LOT of bugs which it did but truth be told I think we were both a afraid of the danged thing and didn't want to mess. It was about 10 inches leg to leg.
banana spider.jpg

When I lived in Florida some people would just about bop you upside the head if you killed a wolf spider and I was one of those people. Actually really cool critters that don't even make webs. But MAN are they hunters! Will hunt down and kill just about any other bug you could think of. They are totally cool and stay out of your way. Some people actually believe that having one in a house is a sign of good fortune.
Lots of wolf spiders here in Wyoming too, Jay. Did you know they females are great mothers? We frequently see them carrying a bunch of young around on their back. I love watching them hunt. I learned a lot about stalking from watching them and jumping spiders. Really cool critters.

Lots of wolf spiders here in Wyoming too, Jay. Did you know they females are great mothers? We frequently see them carrying a bunch of young around on their back. I love watching them hunt. I learned a lot about stalking from watching them and jumping spiders. Really cool critters.
One time my dad killed one that was in the house and a TON of babies went everywhere 😂😂😂. Payback I guess

I had a garden bed that was neglected during the time I was caring for my second kiddo. When I finally got in it to weed and trim, I came face to face with a Garden spider. I almost died. Not because the spider attacked, but because I reared back and fell out of the raised part of the bed.

Fun fact: They have two claws on each leg and are very shy. They like sunny, undisturbed places to build their webs.
1 Yellow Garden Spider Gilmore Ponds w-Hand 2020 1.jpg

Ya, they are pretty good parents but that is not uncommon with a lot of spiders. If one can get past the eewwyy aspect they are, in general fascinating critters.

With you being in North Carolina I'd say the 'explosion' of wolf siders was a blessing. I'd bet dollars to donuts that you didn't see many roaches.
Not MANY but we did have a few... Yah

Can't stand the damned things. Same goes for wasps & hornets too.
You just HAD to bring up hornets... Grrrr! Last summer some hornets decided my outside driver side mirror on my car would be a good place to build a nest. If they had decideded on the passanger side mirror and been willing to pay rent something could have been worked out. They were not up fror that so I got a can of RAID wasp and hornet stuff and doused the mirror.

WOW.....this is just WOW

The wreck is in remarkably identifyable condition too....quite eerily so

WOW.....this is just WOW

The wreck is in remarkably identifyable condition too....quite eerily so
Of the back of this, you could put a Mount Everest in the deepest part of the ocean, and still have a Mile of sea on top

Most reactions

trending

Back