The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Platy.mom

Reaction score
Hi there, Iā€™m new to the forum to ask advice on what the outcome of my HUGE mistake might be. Iā€™ve had my ten gallon tank for a year now and have 4 platys and 3 snails in it. Iā€™ve been told by the people at my local fish store that this isnā€™t an overloaded tank as long as I keep on top of tank cleans. I do about a 60% water change every Thursday. I did just that last night around 11pm and at 730am this morning I realized I forgot to put in the water conditioner after changing the water last night. My fish appeared to be swimming around this morning (all but one that I believe was still sleeping in the barrel) but Iā€™m so worried that Iā€™ve made a mistake that could threaten the lives of my platys :( can someone please help me and let me know if my fish are doomed or if they will be okay? Also I think it goes without saying that I did put the conditioner in at 730am. Also might be helpful that I live in a city where my water is not hard, nor requires any softeners or other personally added additives.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the tap water is going to poison the fish with chlorine/ chloramine, it will do it within minutes of you adding the new water. Basically the chlorine affects the fish's gills instantly and they start gasping at the surface within minutes of the new water being added to the tank. If the water change was done last night, and the fish are swimming around today, they will be fine.

Check the fish in the barrel to make sure it's alive.

In future, make up the water before you add it to the tank. Get a couple of new buckets and use a permanent marker to write "FISH ONLY" on them. Keep these buckets for the fish and don't let anyone use them for anything else.

When you are going to clean the tank, fill the buckets up and add the water conditioner/ dechlorinator. Add an airstone to the buckets of water and let them bubble away. While they are bubbling away, you can gravel clean and drain the tank. Then refill it with the buckets of dechlorinated water.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the tap water is going to poison the fish with chlorine/ chloramine, it will do it within minutes of you adding the new water. Basically the chlorine affects the fish's gills instantly and they start gasping at the surface within minutes of the new water being added to the tank. If the water change was done last night, and the fish are swimming around today, they will be fine.

Check the fish in the barrel to make sure it's alive.

In future, make up the water before you add it to the tank. Get a couple of new buckets and use a permanent marker to write "FISH ONLY" on them. Keep these buckets for the fish and don't let anyone use them for anything else.

When you are going to clean the tank, fill the buckets up and add the water conditioner/ dechlorinator. Add an airstone to the buckets of water and let them bubble away. While they are bubbling away, you can gravel clean and drain the tank. Then refill it with the buckets of dechlorinated water.

Thanks you SO much for your reply! This is great advice! I do have a ā€œmarkedā€ fish bucket that I keep excluded from the house, with my fish tank and all the fish stuff. Iā€™ve just been vacuuming the gravel and syphoning the water into that bucket, and then I wash it out and use the same bucket to refill the tank. I will DEFINITELY be getting another couple of buckets and taking your advice! Fingers crossed that my guy in the barrel is alive :( thanks again :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back