Fish Tank Cabinet Diy Project

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I've looked at those before Tizer, but was disappointed with how much light they actually chucked out. Unless they've changed them since. Seem to be designed for accent lighting rather than anything with any punch.

ah ok, i was going to get them to go over my fry tanks, probably fine for that, maybe not display tanks though

For something like a fry tank they may well be an excellent choice.

He's getting lights made from steveo as far as I know?

Yep LED lights made for plants as this is gona be mainly planted tank not fish :) and yes there made. By steve

Really dude I only post in relevant things and I am to busy to be on 24/7
Like you :p haha

okay a few updates to this, been a while i know sorry been busy with work,

i went to B&Q the other day and bought a new door after i brutally destroyed the other one, also bought a Pillar Drill for the door's

but i have noticed i initially bought the wrong hinges, i needed hinges that have a curve in them not sure what they are called but i bodge fixed this by cutting up the old door and used them to push the side walls of the cabinet in more allowing the hinges to be attached properly :D

I also bought some Black paint so i can try painting the back of the tank Black, i may do this tomorrow :D, i have also bought some 170 degree hinges for the top flap may work may not can i am just going to experiment with that. along with magnetic catches to secure it better if i needed it.

so now the doors are attached they just need sanding on the edges to make a perfect fit 

file_zps1ab719ff.jpg

file_zps28c3dade.jpg

file_zps717a272b.jpg

i shall post more pics later.

oh before i forget i may try and make my Lilly pipes tomorrow using the oven some sand and a baked bean can to help get a good bend :D  i shall post pics of that too haha

Are those sold as doors as as panels that you've drilled holes in?

sorry for the huge delay in and lack of update it has been going slow in the past few month's

@ DrRob - no these where sold as just Laminated pine panels from B&Q i have them cut it for me in store and i drilled the holes my self, since buying the pillar drill it is so handy, if i make one of these again in the future as i am sure i will, i probably buy a few more tools for cutting the wood my self,

SO onto the cabinet/Tank

i have finished fitting the doors and they open very sweetly over time they may drop at tad and need sanding slightly but fit perfectly i also after buying several parts and getting them refunded, time and time again i have settled on the top lid now, it doesn't open up fully like i would like it to given its size (being to small) i cant get anything that will make it open backwards so to speak, but 170 Deg hinges and a Door stay work very well.

file_zps98aebc8b.jpg

now i have also received my LED lights from PS3Steveo, Thank you again for these they are amazing again, and ye i gave him the wrong dims to make them so the lights over hang the top supports i did want it to sit within the gap but it dont so i have had to bodge it and kinda loose a few cm's from above the tank but its not big drama.

so here are the LED's 

file_zpsb6101db1.jpg

file_zps9ed509f9.jpg

file_zps2e3a12ea.jpg

So here is a Picture Colour Comaprison with the LED's

White
file_zps49198667.jpg

Blue
file_zpsdeb32199.jpg

Blue + White
file_zpsc29728aa.jpg

I have also painted the back of my tank black took me a while to look for a decent paint to use but B&Q don't sell anything for glass, so i just bought some Gloss pain't as it was cheap and ye it is looking amazing so far, painting indoors as its snowing outside not the best idea some dust and stuff is on it cant get it off BUT when you look from the inside it looks amazing i have done 3 coats so far and i shall do a 4th this weekend and possible 5 or 6 coats just to make it perfect, just to note the black paint, the first coat came out brown not black
tongue2.gif
second coat made it black
smile.png

il get pictures of the tank on its own this weekend, but once the 2nd coat was dry i stuck into the cabinet with the lights and took 3 more pictures to see how it looks with the colours and so here it is

White
file_zpsdc9d2264.jpg

Blue
file_zps1473775e.jpg

White + Blue
file_zpsc361fc91.jpg

Well this is it for the update hope you all like it so far, ah just to note i bought some stain to cover the tank with once it has finished, i got Light Oak colour varnish
smile.png
fingers are crossed it comes out okay
smile.png
wont be doing this for a month or two.

EDIT - just need to mention before people say i will be covering the hole at the front and back of the LED's so it is better water proofed i will also be getting an acrylic cover for the tank :)

okay so after installing the lights i noticed i needed to water proof the lights a tad more i started making a few templates with smalle thinner bit of wood before making the final piece, and the outcome i love it :)

file_zps065e9557.jpg

also i noticed with the doors the hinges are so good they pull the doors in so i had to make a stopper for them

file_zps2119da99.jpg

okay break from the cabinet and onto the tank, okay for those who want to know how to paint the back of the tank and worried about what paint to use and how to apply it

okay so this is the stuff i am using
file_zpsfaa43d92.jpg

and this is the stuff i am using to apply it to the tank
file_zps33edf953.jpg

file_zps5421d014.jpg

and this is the out come, this is after 4 coats and is wet still
Outside
file_zpsed11f009.jpg

Inside
file_zps9cd21cea.jpg

it looks better from the inside, and looks lumpy and bubbly from the outside when wet but smooths out when dry

okay also today i started fitting the power sockets on the inside, i am using two 4way extension leads independently, they also have independent switched on them which will help when doing maintenance.

file_zpsca6c47ce.jpg

file_zpsef45b9f1.jpg
file_zps53313df8.jpg

file_zps37630286.jpg

file_zpsc468a0eb.jpg

I have also Drilled two 22mm holes for the pipe going up to the tank and a small grove for the light cables and possibly a temp probe to go up :) but i may fit the temp device in the lid it self

that is it for now more to follow as and when i do it :) i have ordered also a 3mm thick piece of plastic to go over the tank it is the exact same size as the tank and is clear so will not effect the lights :) hope it looks good

and to note i have finished painting the back of the tank 4th coat was enough for my liking when it drys i shall put that back inside the cabinet :D

thank you for following and reading :D comments much appreciated

wouldnt using something like this:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/materials/metal_sheet_material/-specificproducttype-aluminium_panel/Barley-Grain-Aluminium-Panel-Aluminium-Coloured-L-1000mm-W-500mm-9284111

be a far better idea for the lights?

i mean, heat, then wood, then heatsinks just sounds a bit of a fire hazard waiting to happen, don't know how hot they get, but the aluminium sheet would do the job of all those heatsinks so well that you wouldn't even need them. You would also generate more light and would probably need less LEDs? Or have i just come up with a really dumb idea and not thought it through?

Most reactions

Back