Fin Rot on the Angel?

PaintballFan07

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As of today i have had 2 angels in my 55g tank for 3 weeks. :D But today i noticed that one of their very back fins is looking to be wat i think fin rot. however i do not see any type of parasite on the fins.the tip of the back fins looks like some fraed fabric. is this fin rot, im sry i caint get a pic for u but my camera is crappy n i dont know how to upload pictures.thanks

right now I have a juvy angel with a frayed fin and I started using a combo of melafix and pimafix three days ago and I can see an improvement already. if you decide to use this stuff just watch your water specs as with any antibacterial agent.
good luck

thanx. ur using both treatments? i will buy them tommorow at the lfs. oh and since i had my angels i had to move my 3 tiger barbs into a 10 gallon aquarium. should i treat the angel in the 55g or in the 10, bcuz in the 55g it would be alot more costly. wats ur advice.

I would put the angel in the 10g (it's a juvy right?). I have my juvy with the fin problem in a 10g and she/he's about the size of a quarter. I wouldn't want to treat a 55g w/any anti-bacterial unless absolutely neccessary (sp?), besides the cost you wouldn't want to mess up your biological filter.
For 10 US gallons put in half a cap full of melafix and half a cap full of pimafix for 7 days and do 25% water change on the seventh day. be sure to keep an air stone in there and don't have the temp to high. for one bacteria grows faster at higher temps, these meds (which are natural...tea tree oil) will reduce O2 levels, and if you do have an ammonia problem (I haven't yet on the 3rd day) I believe the higher temp makes it more toxic (could be the other way around but I'm pretty sure about this)

If I didn't have neons in w/my juvy right now I would do another 20% water change two days after that and then add a bit of aquarium salt.
good luck

gaya1111 said:
I would put the angel in the 10g (it's a juvy right?). I have my juvy with the fin problem in a 10g and she/he's about the size of a quarter. I wouldn't want to treat a 55g w/any anti-bacterial unless absolutely neccessary (sp?), besides the cost you wouldn't want to mess up your biological filter.
For 10 US gallons put in half a cap full of melafix and half a cap full of pimafix for 7 days and do 25% water change on the seventh day. be sure to keep an air stone in there and don't have the temp to high. for one bacteria grows faster at higher temps, these meds (which are natural...tea tree oil) will reduce O2 levels, and if you do have an ammonia problem (I haven't yet on the 3rd day) I believe the higher temp makes it more toxic (could be the other way around but I'm pretty sure about this)

If I didn't have neons in w/my juvy right now I would do another 20% water change two days after that and then add a bit of aquarium salt.
good luck
yes the angel is a juvy. n in the 10g there are 3 tiger barbs.im really confused right now. im thinking about buying a fish net breeder also n i will put the tigers in there or vice versa. either way my angel will stay safe while its healing. i hope its not to late to treat bcuz i just notcie the fin rot today and i watch my fish everyday for at least half hour. and when i fed the fish tonight i saw it eat not really at the same pace as it usually does but it did eat. do u think my tigers will be affected if i treat the angels in their tank.thanks for ur help

well i think i could put the tigers in a fish net breeder in the 55g. that way they dont bother my healthy angel in there. :D

Hi PaintballFan07

gaya1111 has given you good advice. Here's a thread I posted on earlier about corys who have the same problem. It might help if you read it so that you will understand what finrot is how a fish is likely to get it.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=57565

I have usually found that if MelaFix is going to work for that particular strain of bacteria, you will see results within a day or two. Often the results are very surprising. If you don't see any improvement within a few days switch to either Kanamycin or Maracyn AND Maracyn 2 used in combination.

Keep up on water changes and keep the temperature no higher than 75degrees during treatment. If it's higher than that, lower it slowly. Add an airstone if possible to increase oxygen.

Good luck. I hope your fish is well soon. :nod:

alright i went to the lfs today n bought some melafix n a fish net breeder. i will keep the angel in the 10 by itself and keep the 3 tiger abarbs in the net inside the 55g tank. 1 male tiger n 2 females, looks like the male is gonna have sum fun in this thing for a week :hey: cuz hes been chasing the females tryin to mate with them. am i supposed to do a 25% water change daily or weekly with the medicine. i know u add the medicine in daily but wat about the water change? n today i was told that angels cannot be kept with serpae tetras n i am wanting to move them with the 3 tiger barbs in the 10g is this a good idea or are the tigers n tetras gonna fight? who do u think will when? :thumbs: jk, thanks

Serpaes are fin-nippers like the tigers, and since you only have 3 tigers I wouldn't get any serpaes or they may be killed. If you have at least 6 tigers you would be better off. Also is your angel a veilfin because they often have frayed fins that have nothing to do with finrot.

David said:
Serpaes are fin-nippers like the tigers, and since you only have 3 tigers I wouldn't get any serpaes or they may be killed. If you have at least 6 tigers you would be better off. Also is your angel a weilfin because they often have frayed fins that have nothing to do with finrot.
no the angel is a plain fined. it is being treated right now. thanks

today is the second day of treatment for the angel. i tested the water today for 3 things PH,ammonia, n nitrite.
here are the levels PH:7.0 AMMONIA:4.0 NITRITE: .50
can sum1 plz tell me if this is a good or bad thing n wat i should do if it is a bad thing. the temp is at 76-78 f and i always have a airstone running. there is no carbon media in the filter just a filter sleeve with no carbon. thanks

I would do a 25% water change asap and I would also grab rocks , stone, decorations, anything from your main tank that could have good bacteria on it and put it in the 10g w/your angel. Was your filter in the 10g matured? do you have an extra one running on your main tank? if so put it on your 10g. My angel has pretty much completely healed her fin rot as of today. yesterday was day 7 and today I will do another water change. You are supposed to not change the water for 7 days but I always do it more often due to what is happening with you right now. I have experienced that in the past and it's a pain in the butt. You also have to make sure you feed sparingly. So clean up the tank the best you can. I'd put the carbon back in, water change, add all that stuff and see where your water specs are at. There are many things that could have gone wacky. My reading were all perfect this time around but I kept in mind all of the above.
good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back