Fin Rot on the Angel?

reg2k2 said:
Was the 10gal. cycled? Melafix shouldn't affect the biofilter...
As well as decor, would it be possible to transfr some of the media from the 55's filter to the 10's?

If not, I wouldn't worry about attaining a cycled tank atm. I would initially do 30-50% wc daily (bring the ammonia, nitrite to zero) and thereafter wc's as necessary to keep them there. Continue with the Melafix.
i do not have any carbon media that is available for transfer, i think the tank is cycled bcuz its been running for bout a month mayb lil more n transfered water out of my 55 to the 10 so i could put my tiger barbs in there A.S.A.P. so my angels would be alot less stressed out from running from the tigers. but i can put sum new carbon media into the 10g filter. does the good bacteria grow on the carbon also. i could put sum of it into the 55g filter for 24 hours then transfer it into the 10, would this be helpful? thanks

The bacteria will grow on any surface, but I wouldn't replace the carbon...not while treating.
I was thinking some filter floss/sponge...something along those lines.
I'm not sure how long it takes to seed new media, but I think it's mininum of a few days.
Might try adding a handful or two of gravel from the 55...not sure if it might be more effective if you put a bit in the filter...just kinda guessing there.

But right now, I'd say focus more on bringing the levels down, keeping water clean, and getting him fixed up.
If you can work out getting it cycled as well--great--but if not, it can be dealt with later. jmo

Were the barbs in there for that month's time?...and were the readings as should be--ammonia:0, nitrite:0, nitrate: li'l bit...?

reg2k2 said:
The bacteria will grow on any surface, but I wouldn't replace the carbon...not while treating.
I was thinking some filter floss/sponge...something along those lines.
I'm not sure how long it takes to seed new media, but I think it's mininum of a few days.
Might try adding a handful or two of gravel from the 55...not sure if it might be more effective if you put a bit in the filter...just kinda guessing there.

But right now, I'd say focus more on bringing the levels down, keeping water clean, and getting him fixed up.
If you can work out getting it cycled as well--great--but if not, it can be dealt with later. jmo

Were the barbs in there for that month's time?...and were the readings as should be--ammonia:0, nitrite:0, nitrate: li'l bit...?
yes the barbs were in there n all of the readings were 0 basically cept for the ph

Alright i got sum more angels n one is either under stress or has fin rot.
should i go ahead n put it into my q/tank with the other angel that is making progress? Would it hurt the angel to go ahead n treat it early so it can head back into the main tank? thanks

did you get more angels while the quarantine tank was in use?
Adding fish to your 55g w/out quaranting is such a gamble. How many did you get and where are they? is your 10g cycled yet? if not I wouldn't put any fish in it. This might be a bit expensive but i'd just treat the main tank if you are having fin rot probs with more that one fish and it would probably get worse if exposed to ammonia and such. don't you think?
I'm actually doing that right now. my quarantine tank and hospital tank are both being used and i noticed one of my plecs with a scrape and angel with a little bit of fray so i'm dosing the whole tank with pimafix just to be on the safe side. (i really gotta separate these fish, total scrappers)

i'd be more afraid of the evil ick :angry: from the new fish (but i'm wicked paranoid).

good luck to ya!

either under stress or has fin rot.
...are the fins affected??
While I wouldn't recommend treating a fish who's not sick...if you think he's not doing well where he is (55?), Melafix shouldn't hurt him. If there's no aggression between angels, I don't see a problem.

Assumimg levels are under control??

:) I was going to say something similar...but I think the 10gal is to be the tiger barbs' home, right?
But...if u have a way of getting a hold of another tank, quarantining new fish is always a gd idea. ;)
Glad the other guy's recuperating.

gaya1111 said:
Adding fish to your 55g w/out quaranting is such a gamble. How many did you get and where are they? is your 10g cycled yet? if not I wouldn't put any fish in it. This might be a bit expensive but i'd just treat the main tank if you are having fin rot probs with more that one fish and it would probably get worse if exposed to ammonia and such. don't you think?
I'm actually doing that right now. my quarantine tank and hospital tank are both being used and i noticed one of my plecs with a scrape and angel with a little bit of fray so i'm dosing the whole tank with pimafix just to be on the safe side. (i really gotta separate these fish, total scrappers)

i'd be more afraid of the evil ick :angry: from the new fish (but i'm wicked paranoid).

good luck to ya!
thank u. I bought 3 angels n they all appeared to be sick free(on the outside at least) so i bought them. they are in my main tank n only 2 are starting to develop fin rot. i think its bcuz they are stressed out cuz the others are ok. im gonna go ahead n put the 2 stressed angels into the q/tank with the old angel that is making great pogress but slow. thanks for ur help. good luck with ur fish too

alright i have another question. :D I have been treating a new angel ( not the same angel that was talked about in this topic) for fin rot for about a 6 days counting today. When i put it in the q/tank it was developing fin rot and i think it may also had open wounds towards the back of the body. The wounds have healed but at the same spot of the open wound are 3 or 4 white things almost looks like tiny cotton balls or eggs. Could this be ick? thanx

reg2k2 said:
either under stress or has fin rot.
...are the fins affected??
While I wouldn't recommend treating a fish who's not sick...if you think he's not doing well where he is (55?), Melafix shouldn't hurt him. If there's no aggression between angels, I don't see a problem.

Assumimg levels are under control??

:) I was going to say something similar...but I think the 10gal is to be the tiger barbs' home, right?
But...if u have a way of getting a hold of another tank, quarantining new fish is always a gd idea. ;)
Glad the other guy's recuperating.
sry i did not respond to ur post earlier. Yes the new angels are in the 55g n has fin rot. Only 1 out of the 2 angels that were recently quarentined has survived n is making great progress. The 10g is the tiger barbs home n they are surviving in the fish net breeder, however i caint say that they are happy or not cuz they been moved 3 times each time their home has gotten smaller n smaller, sry buddies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back