Fin Rot on the Angel?

gaya1111 said:
I would do a 25% water change asap and I would also grab rocks , stone, decorations, anything from your main tank that could have good bacteria on it and put it in the 10g w/your angel. Was your filter in the 10g matured? do you have an extra one running on your main tank? if so put it on your 10g. My angel has pretty much completely healed her fin rot as of today. yesterday was day 7 and today I will do another water change. You are supposed to not change the water for 7 days but I always do it more often due to what is happening with you right now. I have experienced that in the past and it's a pain in the butt. You also have to make sure you feed sparingly. So clean up the tank the best you can. I'd put the carbon back in, water change, add all that stuff and see where your water specs are at. There are many things that could have gone wacky. My reading were all perfect this time around but I kept in mind all of the above.
good luck!
thanks gaya. i will change the water n put the carbon back in. the filter is only 2 months old. but my 55g filter is 2 yrs old. im gonna go gravel vac the aquarium now n uh... should i put more medicine in after the water change?

I would wait until your ammonia and nitrites are at zero. It's hard to tell what and how much will kill off your good bacteria. Like I said b4 I didn't have this problem this time around. Be very careful not to over feed and try to get as much good bacteria in there as you can. Do you have any fake plants or something you can transfer once the carbon has taken out the meds?

all i have is fake plants i think i could. so after my ammonia n nitrate levels are ok n the angel still has fin rot do i try to treat it again for 7 more days? i am only using melafix right now. i think the fin has gotten better cuz it has stop getting shorter n shorter. when this is all over is the angel or fishes fin fully recovered n repaired or wat? thanks.

PaintballFan07 said:
all i have is fake plants i think i could. so after my ammonia n nitrate levels are ok n the angel still has fin rot do i try to treat it again for 7 more days? i am only using melafix right now. i think the fin has gotten better cuz it has stop getting shorter n shorter. when this is all over is the angel or fishes fin fully recovered n repaired or wat? thanks.
yea once you put the carbon back on and do the water change and add as many of fake plants or whatever you have and bring the levels down to zero I would do the treatment again. So if you only have melafix use one capful each day for seven days and maybe do two water changes and add a few drops of the melafix to the new water providing you are not spiking. In the mean time you could add some aquarium salt. I know people have different views on salt but I've had much luck with it.

alright thanks gaya. i already changed the water and put the carbon back in i will restart the treatment again tommorow.Will the fin fully recover in 7 days when it is ready to go back to its home in the 55g. thanks

make sure not to start the treatment until you're readings are ok (sorry that I keep repeating myself, I don't want to be annoying). I suppose since you have some fish in a fry net that it would not be fair to keep them in there for any extended period. I like to keep a healing fish in q tank for about a week after its healed up to let it rest but what can ya do if you just don't have the space. I would add a bit of salt to the main tank when you put her back unless you have fish that can't handle it. I've done it with my neons (not too much and only when things seem a little funky in there) and they're ok but who knows for sure.

gaya1111 said:
make sure not to start the treatment until you're readings are ok (sorry that I keep repeating myself, I don't want to be annoying). I suppose since you have some fish in a fry net that it would not be fair to keep them in there for any extended period. I like to keep a healing fish in q tank for about a week after its healed up to let it rest but what can ya do if you just don't have the space. I would add a bit of salt to the main tank when you put her back unless you have fish that can't handle it. I've done it with my neons (not too much and only when things seem a little funky in there) and they're ok but who knows for sure.
its ok ur not being annoying bcuz ur just tryin to help n i appreciate it. thanks for all of the good advice but sry to keep repeating this same statement but "WILL THE FIN COMPLETELY HEAL IN THIS 7DAY PERIOD" thanks

I guess that depends on the fish and the situation. Nobody knows how fast they'll heal and it varies from individual to individual, fish to fish. My angel is almost completely healed today and I just gave her the last dose. The fin looks full once again except for a tiny peace at the very top. I even considered moving her today to another tank but since I have the extra space I'm gonna keep her in there. Plus moving her will stress her out. so the best answer I could give is......maybe :) It also depends on how bad the fin rot was to begin with. There are a ton of meds out there that you can try that may do a better and quicker job. Melafix is a more natural approach and it's probably easier on the fish in the long run. This is just my opinion. I am a health care major in college (biochem) and meds can really reek havoc on biological creatures. Don't get me wrong, when I'm at my wits end with something like ICK!!! (this stuff drives me crazy) I will pull out the heavy artillery cuz those buggers are hard to get rid of but something like fin rot doesn't have to be a big deal but it could be more, like someone mentioned earlier in this post. i'd guess that going the more natural route could take longer. I saw real improvement in my baby about 3-4 days after. Also, from what I understand, it's very important to keep a clean tank when dealing with fin rot. During the treatment with my angel I actually removed all the gravel! because it had flourite in it that was making everything dusty and she needed a cleaner home. phone ringing bye!

gaya1111 said:
I guess that depends on the fish and the situation. Nobody knows how fast they'll heal and it varies from individual to individual, fish to fish. My angel is almost completely healed today and I just gave her the last dose. The fin looks full once again except for a tiny peace at the very top. I even considered moving her today to another tank but since I have the extra space I'm gonna keep her in there. Plus moving her will stress her out. so the best answer I could give is......maybe :) It also depends on how bad the fin rot was to begin with. There are a ton of meds out there that you can try that may do a better and quicker job. Melafix is a more natural approach and it's probably easier on the fish in the long run. This is just my opinion. I am a health care major in college (biochem) and meds can really reek havoc on biological creatures. Don't get me wrong, when I'm at my wits end with something like ICK!!! (this stuff drives me crazy) I will pull out the heavy artillery cuz those buggers are hard to get rid of but something like fin rot doesn't have to be a big deal but it could be more, like someone mentioned earlier in this post. i'd guess that going the more natural route could take longer. I saw real improvement in my baby about 3-4 days after. Also, from what I understand, it's very important to keep a clean tank when dealing with fin rot. During the treatment with my angel I actually removed all the gravel! because it had flourite in it that was making everything dusty and she needed a cleaner home. phone ringing bye!
phone ringing! lol. thanks for all of ur help i really preciate it, n my angel only had fin rot on its back tail fin. wats left of the tail fin is probly half a centimeter of its fin left as of today. like i said thanks

Was the 10gal. cycled? Melafix shouldn't affect the biofilter...
As well as decor, would it be possible to transfr some of the media from the 55's filter to the 10's?

If not, I wouldn't worry about attaining a cycled tank atm. I would initially do 30-50% wc daily (bring the ammonia, nitrite to zero) and thereafter wc's as necessary to keep them there. Continue with the Melafix.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back