Filter Starter Products

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

In most cases, what's in the bottle are micronutrients, stabilizers, perservatives, and various organisms. As a career microbiologist that works with such marine organisms (along with multiple other aerobic and anaerobic bacteria species) used in aquariums/water treatment plants/fisheries/agriculture/fertilizers/etc, I do know for a fact that these products do work if made, stored properly, and used within the acceptable time frame. At the company I work for, many of our customers need them to recover from environmental issues where the state or federal watchdogs will fine them serious amounts of money (10s of thousands of dollars/day) if they fail to meet the required goverment specifications (even once within a single day). I do test these autotrophs and they can withstand long periods of time within containers with the correct additives/conditions. However, the main key is to make sure the container you are buying has been/is being refrigerated. If it's a liquid product at room temp, you can forget about the product doing anything useful for you or your tank - you'd be wasting your money. Check for a expiration date/date produced which usually follows most companies shelf-life studies for performance and activity.

Those who have stated that companies don't care about the product after it leaves their door/facility or that it's not their concern after it leaves their door - That is not true at all. I have worked with several companies that have never said such things about their product or that they have no concern about what happens to it after it leaves their dock. A product that works brings back more customers meaning more cash for them. A product that doesn't work will not and will cost the company. The companies producing such products make label claims- the good companies, like the ones I have worked for (we don't sell directly to the consumer, we sell large volumes only), do proper research and determine shelf-lifes for such products and give recommendations along with "expiration dates".

The key is to do your research and determine who does produce a quality nitrifier. Look for those who do next day shipping and/or keep the product on icepacks or in refrigs if buying in person. Also, ask questions regarding dosage and what the product does (technical questions) to determine how knowledgeable your salesperson actually is on this matter. From my work/lab research/stability studies- if the nitrifiers have been supplied with the proper doses of nutrients/stabilizers/perservatives, a container of nitrifiers can last over a year (15 months) in many cases if conditions are optimum. I have also seen in my work where containers have lasted only a few months (4 months). This product usually goes bad (loses it's activity/effectiveness) on average about 10 months after growing/harvesting the organisms. There are a lot of variables in making this material. It takes tremendous amount of time just to grow the organisms to make one gallon of material. Any little negative impact can effect it so many of these companies have procedures to follow inorder to give great yields and quality product. This is a very technical product that requires trained professionals/experts with advanced degrees to grow. It is not so cut and dry as some here in this forum say it is. But as a scientist who has performed valid studies on this subject and knows it very well - it does work.

I hope this information helps you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back