Ferg's Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

very nice tank buddy, gives me a really cool idea to have loads of these tanks side by side with different scapes

I've virtually stripped out every plant bar some of the small Amazons and an unknown plant in the 65 litre and ordered £30 of new plants to create a tank that is a world apart from the main tank. A big gamble but the tank had not been looking right since I'd last aquascaped it.

Those removed plants have all gone in the main tank, which again I'm not entirely happy with at the moment but the right hand side of the tank is looking miles better and reaching the look I'm wanting to achieve. I'll get some pictures up later tonight..

Last Tuesday I went into my LFS and they had some beautiful black Angels in, which is what I've been waiting for (and only £2.50 each!!) and some Black Widows so I'm going to go down tomorrow morning and get some of those. Just a pity my serpae attacked my cory, as said in the other forums an odd thing to happen, even with them being known nippers. Hasn't been any foul play since then so perhaps for now it'll have to stay a no bottom dwelling tank.

As promised..

DSC_0369.jpg

As it was.

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

After the extra plants

Bought 6 Black Widows and a Pleco today, its a common one - so I will regret it but the last pleco I had was alive for about 6 years and got to 8inches so hopefully this one won't become an utter beast, he is a beauty though, white speckled - save me scraping the algae off the back every Sunday!

A common plec will become a beast, its not a case of cross your fingers and hope he doesnt. If he does your referring to him being stunted, not good and you should reconcider this fish selection if thats the case. If he is a common he will get big, period. The one you had previous could have been a bristlenose or some other similar looking plec that maxes out at 8". As for a common maxing out at 8" its laughable.

You are aware he'll rearange your plants constantly just from moving as he gets bigger. I seriously think you will regret getting a common, they arent even prolific algae eaters. Pretty useless IMO. I don't even rate BNPs for algae consumption and supposedly they are the best plec for it.

James

Both tanks are a mess - but I dare touch either because 1) Angel fish have laid eggs and being very protective 2) Small tank has baby Rosy barbs :hyper:

When I have some disposable income (what's that? :crazy: ) I'm going to rescape both tanks, the main tank will be Crypt-tastic as they seem be the only plants to flourish within the tank. This is how the main one was on the last aquascape.

DSC_0591.jpg

....and then how it looks now :(

DSC_0637.jpg

DSC_0640.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0664.jpg

The only plants to thrive, the various crypts and unkillable Java fern

Hi Ferg the tank is looking great!! Congrats on the angel eggs those angel fish are lookin HUGE now :D And those last two are amazing!

I really like the right hand side of the tank as it is now. The Pennywort (?) next to the pond weed (for lack of a better name) looks like they go really well together. Might try that in my little tank :)

Wills

Thinking about completely starting from scratch with the main tank and doing a full blown aquascape.

This is how it is at present (not much change since the last pictures)
DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

The only element of the tank I like is the way the crypts and java fern have completely suffocated the smallest of the fake ornaments and created this mound of foilage. It looks like it is set to gain a new dimension with the Pennywort finally bulking up at the base (though that can't be seen on the image(s)).
I think the problem has always been the ornament to the left, whilst I do like it it takes up a lot of space and creates a lot of dead space where plants could be. Also, I just think the whole setup looks ill-thought - which probably explains why my success with the plants has been so hit and miss.

So, I've been musing over ideas for a couple of days now as to what to do (well, when I can afford to!)..

- First thing, take everything out (bar the two right ornaments and surrounding plants, and the main central plant which name always escapes me!).
- Left ornament to become central feature of the 65 litre tank, a bit bulky but I think the barbs/corys and CAE will appreciate the security it'll provide.

- Fish temporarily housed whilst I add a lot more sand/substrate, there was never enough in the first place but inpatience got the better of me.
- Going to buy duplicate of the two remaining ornaments to mirror across on the left-hand side. Furthermore, bulk up on the java fern or any other suitable plants to cling/fill the larger ornaments to extend the foilage coverage - along with more crypts etc around the base.
- More large rocks, perhaps built up a bit of a mound with them too.
- Some substantially sized pieces of bogwood, to create some height.

Hopefully by then it'll have some height and depth, cover the heaters and background image and encourage the fish to swim around more (because they spend all their time on the right of the tank amongst the plants). Then, to the second issue... all that water, and hardly any fish!!

Current residents are:

- 3 Angelfish, 8 Serpae Tetra, 6 Red Eye Tetra and 5 Black Widows.

I'm hoping to eventually end up with:

- OPTION 1: 3 Angelfish, 1 pair of Bolivian Rams, 12 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Rosey Tetra, 8 Black Phantom Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra.
- OPTION 2: 3 Angelfish, 1 Pair of Bolivian Rams, 12 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra, 12 Rummy Nose Tetra.
- OPTION 3: 3 Angelfish, 10 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra, 20 Cardinal Tetra.

06-MARCH-2011

Current stocking :-

-6 Angels (Now all named :blush: :hyper: Rex, Sid, Blondie, Casper, Bertie and Bassett :fun: )
-8 Serpae Tetra
-8 Rosy Tetra
-6 Red Eye Tetra
-5 Black Widow Tetra

DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

sorry I've still not got around to taking any pictures with a proper camera, these are still off my phone.

It looks beautiful :D I love the natural look you have going on with it.
I've really enjoyed reading this thread ^^

The tank is already 1 year old! How fast that has gone too!! (Although it hasn't been a tropical set up for all that time).

The tank has settled down now I think, plants have started to thrive a little better and there haven't been any losses. I think (or hope) the root tabs have played a big part in this, as some of the rooted plants are looking much better than before. Still needs a few more plants yet for my liking, particularly in the foreground near the Redmoor wood/rocks. I was wanting to avoid spreading the java fern to this side of the tank and concentrate it on the artificial ornaments, but I've started some small pockets of it infront of the larger rocks as they seem a bit hap-hazard at the moment (well, they are where they are purely to weigh down the wood!! haha). Also it is just over a year since I bought the first fish (the red eye tetra) and have 6 of the 7 purchased, so glad to see they've settled into their home

Here are some pictures (dated 18-04-2011):

DSC_0990.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

DSC_0971.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0917.jpg

Still relying on the phone camera to take pictures, I've found my digital camera but it just needs a good charge! lol

P.S - Tomorrow is the designated tank maintenance day, so apologies for the messy tank!! Also contemplating being naughty and getting a new shoal of fish on wednesday/thursday - either a 10 strong school of black phantom/flame tetra or silvertip tetra, or maybe even some Blue Emperor tetra (although I heard they prefer very soft, acidic water??(no point planning specifically though really until I see what is in stock in my LFS)).

Oh, and you may have spotted the new additions - 2 Apple snails (seeing as my serpae tetras and angelfish won't allow me to keep any form of cory or catfish!) they haven't bothered the snails, but they do enjoy watching them curiously :fun:

where`d you get the 3d background for the big tank? looks ace

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back