The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

To compare

65 Litre [18-04-10]

S73F9509.jpg

65 Litre [16-05-10]

S73F9740.jpg

Amazon swords have all shot up! The Elodea Densa has been trimmed (I say trim, more cut in half) 3 times in a month, the tops going in the main tank (temporarily) it must have been over 3 feet long when I cut it and the ends are now a good 18 inches in the main tank now. Borneo fern, I think its safe to say that (duh duh duhhhhhh!) it wasn't aquatic, because the pics show its died. The Umbroso, which was so lovely and springy is also a bit dead now :( No idea why it's started wilting. The Wisteria is doing fine, a little pale but I'm thankful its not taken over the tank. The flame moss is a bit beefy now..and the CAE has done a grand job of keeping the tank algae free.

I have 4 temporary guests in my 425litre tank, destined for my Brother's pond (I think he said the other week he'd calculated it to be 2400 litre, but I'm not sure, hard to picture the volume with it having all the ledges and what not). They've been in for 3 weeks now..

S73F9928.jpg

S73F9950.jpg

S73F9960.jpg

S73F9952.jpg

Going to be a long time till I can get lights for the big tank (and fear not, despite two heaters being on show in the pictures they're not plugged in) so they'll stay in the tank til perhaps next Spring (when its a safe enough time to transfer them to the pond) give them a bit of time to grow a bit. After doing a big water change on my 65 litre I've decided to go and get a pair of Dwarf Gourami's tomorrow from my LFS as it looks a little empty with just the Red Eye Tetras and with the oversized pump and heavy planting I can't see there being any fluctuations.

I ended up buying 2 pairs of metallic rosy barbs for the 65 litre, hopefully it won't be long before they and the red eye tetra are in the big tank. I was gutted to only get 2 pairs but can't have too much in the tiny tank, in the LFS they had about 40 and to see them all swimming with their glistening scales was immense. Have to get more in the future.

I ended up buying 2 pairs of metallic rosy barbs for the 65 litre, hopefully it won't be long before they and the red eye tetra are in the big tank. I was gutted to only get 2 pairs but can't have too much in the tiny tank, in the LFS they had about 40 and to see them all swimming with their glistening scales was immense. Have to get more in the future.

Quite nice fish you got always like rosy barbs but never had them, if your LFS is selling those kind of fish in pairs though just be prepared to use your own knowledge and up the school when you get in they are schooling fish not pairing. When it comes to breeding they are more like swingers than couples.

I like the koi again good planning with them :) although they might survive the cycle just keep an eye on the levels in the tank as guessing your brother wont be best pleased if they kick it while the cycle is going.

Wills :)

Just bumping this up as I've not been on in ages and my heart sank when I couldn't find me thread on here as it'd gone beyond the last page, lol.

My 65 litre at present is in a bit of a mess :( The barbs ruined the moss and its now in a clump in the corner next to one of the moss balls. The wisteria is just stalks with a few tiny leaves near the base and tips, the amazon swords are now massive and dominate the entire back of the tank, I'd say about 15inch tall! lol. Since setting up the tank I've had no losses (touch wood) so I'm pleased, all fish seem happy (even the CAE who has caused no problems). The 425 litre tank is still home to the 4 koi who are getting chubbier by the week but they seem happy too. :)

Picture update of 65 litre.. to show the damage these tiny horrors have caused! ( I wouldn't part with them though, they are the funniest four fish I've ever had, haha!).

Before The Rosy Barbs:
S73F9740.jpg

and after the Rosy Barbs:

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

This has come along nicely. Shame the big plant on the left has gone if you ask me, it would have looked good if the large sword now in the middle had grown like that on the right hand side along with the beg plant on the left (name escapes me atm, something thalictroides?)

Only two things i'd do to that currently is

A) Trim the Egeria Densa down and replant say the top 4" of stems in the substrate, bin the rest it looks rather leggy and leafless.
B) Push the rocks slightly into the substrate. To me it looks like there just sat on top, making it look slightly unnatural.

Have you concidered getting maybe a pot or 2 of Cyrptocoryne Parva. In my experience this plant grows low and well. Great for smaller tanks such as this and also it doesnt "spread" as such. If it looks like its getting to bulky (which it shouldnt) you can just thin it out. Also this plant has proven impossible to kill in my tanks, it grows in all manner of conditions :) So its perfect for the foreground, especially concidering they reckon 10cm is its highest growth - personally i've never seen mine above 5cm.

So, on Friday the big tank looked pretty much like this:

S73F9928.jpg

This evening, it is looking a little more like this:

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

New residents (as yet) are 4 teeeeny Angels and 6 Peppered Cory, more arrivals next week (after payday! :grr: :shout: )
Sorry for the poor quality (mobile upload) but I'll get clearer shots soon :hyper: (needs a few more fish and some foreground planting yet :crazy:

I'm Loving this thread my friend as much as your tanks...keep up the good work and keep us updated :good:

can you get a closer up pic of the plants in your large tank. im suspecting there might be some non aquatic ones in there. (im sorry if im wrong)

can you get a closer up pic of the plants in your large tank. im suspecting there might be some non aquatic ones in there. (im sorry if im wrong)

You're probably right! :crazy: :grr: I'm really annoyed with the plants now. Since taking these initial pics I've lost about 5 plants and taken a few more out, whilst one remaining in the tank is still shedding leaves on a daily basis and will probably have none left by tomorrow.

Here are some pics (as good a quality as I could manage with my phone):

DSC_0260.jpg

the two small plants either side of the rock to the left have gone, rotted to near nothing so I chucked them. The larger, purple tinted plant to the right foreground was chucked also. The tallest plant to the immediate right of the ornament was chucked (along with the other that was on the right of the tank) as it was shedding all its leaves. These are the immediate casualties and the plants that remain, most I'm suspect of (can't believe I was stupid enough to buy them...but again more annoyed that an LFS would sell plants that aren't suitable).

DSC_0282.jpg

The purple lined leaved plant is on its way out. Perhaps I need more intense lighting (this is all I can think of).

DSC_0280.jpg

These don't seem to be doing too bad, but they don't look like aquatic plants to me.

DSC_0277.jpg

These two also don't look like aquatic plants, and the fact the leaves are beginning to curl up would suggest it may be on its way out.

I'll go to the planted section for an SOS! Clearly I've not put enough thought into the plants. But still, the fish are really healthy and happy and that's whats paramount to me..this plant issue is just a slight snag. :angry:

Now without any suspect plants, all now at home in the bathroom in little pots :rolleyes:

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

I've ordered a 'Arcadia Plant Pro T5 39W 850mm (34")' Lamp and unit, and later in the week I've the following plants arriving:

5 x Java Fern (probably put them all in other tank tbh)
2 x Lilaeopsis Novea-Zeelandiae
2 x Hygrophila polysperma
1 x Echinodorus Harbii Rosa
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
1 x Pogostemon Helferi
1 x Alternanthera Reineckii / Telanthera, Rosaefolia
2 x Hydrocotyle Leucocephala / Pennywort
2 x Bacopa Caroliniana / Giant Bacopa, Blue water Hyssop
2 x Bacopa Monnieri / Dwarf Bacopa / Baby Tears

The tank does look empty at the moment, and fishless! Yet there are now 16 residents :lol:

The 7 Red Eye tetra from my 65 litre moved in yesterday and whilst hiding for most of the day I'm sure are appreciating the space. Next week I'll up them to about 14-16 in total, and perhaps get 8-10 Black Widow tetra.

The 65 litre had a 90% water change yesterday, chuffin' hard work!!! Had to remove everything but the substrate to catch the Red Eye Tetra to move them downstairs, and then took the others out to clean it. It is looking in a bit of a state at the moment as I split the Amazon swords to put them in the tank downstairs (being the downstair's plants being so small at the mo).

I'm thinking next week I'll get a shoal of Harlequin Rasboras and then it'll be done (along with some extra planting).

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

Both tanks are starting to look really awesome :D Once the big tank starts to fill out it will look really awesome :D

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back