Ferg's Tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That is a 2d picture, that was badly taped to the back of the tank and has rippled.. with a good bit of algae on the inside to give it some relief, haha!

lol it had me fooled thats one of the best backgrounds ive seen. great looking tank and fish too.

DSC_0990.jpg

18-04-11

DSC_1117.jpg

26-07-11

In need of some serious re-aquascaping.. I haven't had a job for nearly 3 months so I've been doing my best to keep the tanks healthy with the little money I've had available. Thankfully I'm back in work, but it'll be a few months before I can start spending money on my tanks again - it's a shame because they're not what they used to be...but the fish are happy, and in the end anything else is just a bonus.

Also, I've acquired a new occupant to the main tank, a 16year old Pleco. My brother phoned me to say that someone they knew (who I used to work with, funny enough) was getting rid of their family tank (fully stocked) and that it had in it a 8inch Pleco that was nearly the length of the tank (from what I can gather, the tank must have been no more than 40 litres). My brother didn't want to keep it in the tank, but had nowhere else for it to go (they have 1 pleco in there main tank) so I hesitantly said I'd take it. He's a nice addition anyway (and very docile (probably though his age! I didn't even know they could reach such an age!!)).

DSC_1107.jpg

Been thinking about how to add to my stocking of the tank, now I've got an income again it's time to step it up a gear with the tank and getting looking how it should.
I've been scouring the internet for images and videos of different fish to see what overall look I should go for. I'm hoping people will be able to guide me if I've made some silly errors. I would speculate that even with the pleco now in the tank (who I can't see growing any bigger given it's age) that my tank can take a fairly substantial increase in residents.

Here is something I've just put together for some perspective.

stocklist.png

Above is the current setup, below the line is the proposed. There's still room to change and it may be that even with all the planning, come going to my LFS I may go on a whim and buy say Rummynose tetras over Lemons, or Blue rams over Bolivians but for now, this looks to be a fairly cohesive setup (presuming rams would get on with my angels).

Hey! The tanks is looking great! That Plec looks like a pretty good addition and a very good home for him after such a small tank :)

Your Angels are looking brilliant as well!

With the stocking, I would up the Serpae Tetras in number, see if you cant diffuse their aggression and nippy behavior. I would also go for Lemons over Rummynose as Rummynose could end up as Angel snacks! And also Bolivian Rams would be better than Blue or Gold Rams as Blues and Golds need high temperatures and low ph where as Bolivians can be kept at a variety of waters and do pretty well :)

I would think about adding some larger fish in there as well though as this is a HUGE tank with only a few fish in really :/ Just go crazy you have a brilliant tank and the scope to have quite a dream aquarium!

Wills

Haha, cheers Wills. I hear ya, I really do! Just reluctant to get anything to large, I was hoping the Bolivian rams would beef up the look of the tank (providing the Angels will accommodate them). They mustn't of had a delivery when I went into LFS the other day, barely any stock in - I'll go and buy some on Friday or over the weekend mind - even if it's just adding to the existing fish. Whilst I do love the colour of the Serpae's I do worry about getting more, but I'll see.

I've just ordered £50 worth of plants that should hopefully come for next weekend, I had a massive water change on Sunday (around 60%) and repositioned the wood, stones and the plants. It should hopefully look miles better when properly planted, I'm aiming for a dense wall of varied tall background plants - then I'll really go on the fish offensive, haha. Thanks for the comments and help as usual :)

Today I've added:

- 5 Black Widow Tetra
- 4 Serpae Tetra
- 8 Head and Tail Light Tetra

There hadn't been a delivery at the LFS since the other week so slim pickings (and wasn't going home empty handed!) They had Emperor Tetra but I've my heart set on the Super Blue variety so I pulled myself away from settling for them.

I've no idea, the water is fairly neutral .. I was always under the impression that virtually all egg laying fish preferred softer, acidic water. :unsure:
They've laid eggs again over the past night or two, this time at the other end of the tank inside of the resin branch ornament... Doubt anything will come of it but it's giving them something to do and it's quite funny watching them peeking through the gaps in the ornament keeping tabs on the other fish.

Just taken all the crypts out of the main tank and tried to set up a new aquascape in the small tank with them. There are also two beautiful pieces of Redmoor wood I've spotted online but I've been told not to buy them! haha. I want the whole tank to be fluid and have 1 solid look but everyone else who visits likes the tank having this divide of wood and openness on the left and the dark, eerie side to the right. :unsure:

Been thinking about how to add to my stocking of the tank, now I've got an income again it's time to step it up a gear with the tank and getting looking how it should.
I've been scouring the internet for images and videos of different fish to see what overall look I should go for. I'm hoping people will be able to guide me if I've made some silly errors. I would speculate that even with the pleco now in the tank (who I can't see growing any bigger given it's age) that my tank can take a fairly substantial increase in residents.

Here is something I've just put together for some perspective.

stocklist.png

Above is the current setup, below the line is the proposed. There's still room to change and it may be that even with all the planning, come going to my LFS I may go on a whim and buy say Rummynose tetras over Lemons, or Blue rams over Bolivians but for now, this looks to be a fairly cohesive setup (presuming rams would get on with my angels).

I love this planning B-)

Looking forward to more pics

A sneaky picc to show the slight change to the left, but more to show the 'before' look, as come the end of the week there shall be many more plants in there :hyper:

S73F0190.jpg

Looks a right mess at the moment :grr: The amount of pics I've taken of this tank over the past 12 months and it only ever looks like I've got 2 fish in it! :crazy: Believe me it is a hive of activity, there's about 42 tetra darting about in those near empty looking waters.

Plants came yesterday and now the tank's been re aquascaped. There still aren't enough plants, the front of the tank is desolate! :grr: :crazy:
Also, I think they've made a few mistakes with my order (it seems everything I've bought or ordered in the past few months has been mucked up!) I've given up complaining so I'll just stick to what they sent, but no sag came with my order :angry:

Hello all,

Not been on here in ages, mainly because I've fallen out with my fishtanks :grr:

Despite all intentions and effort, my plants just refuse to play fair and look a mess, so I've just place a massive order online for some silk plants.
I really wanted to avoid synthetic plants as I've never felt they've looked a patch on the real thing, but now my logic is I can either have a tank full of
rigid, garish looking plants ... or a half empty tank of browning, pale real plants - so go figure. :unsure:

Hopefully I'll manage to set up a nice arrangement with them, I've just popped on here to be inspired on how best to do it. I'll still have my anubias and such in the foreground for the real deal, and I shall in due course add to these to get the front looking lovely, the artificials are mainly to line the back of the tank. Because my live plants have gone into decline the fish are all laying low at the back of the tank and so, up until feeding time, the tank looks empty.

One thing to be thankful for though are the fish, I'm fortunate to have had very few losses since setting the tank up. I think over the past 2 months I've lost 2 red eye tetra (which where the first fish I got way back when I set the small tank up), from what I can manage to count I have still got all my penguins, my rosy tetra and my black widows so at least I'm doing something right (and what is a lovely tank with dead and ill fish? lol).

Once I've got my plastic plants in, I'll get adding some more fish and hopefully (after a near 2 year battle) I'll have a tank I can be reasonably happy with. I'm trying to get all this done before christmas, when the family and friends start coming around so I can have some wow factor. I suppose I've no qaulms about having a plastic tree and wreaths all over the show, so why should the tank be any different? :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back