Ferg's Tanks

Water is in, pump back from brothers after spending the night in his tank. Co2 setup, added some fertaliser too - hope I don't spoil the plants too much in one go :unsure: Just need something to grow infront of the rocks now, something I can restrict because I'd like to keep some of the sand visible. No idea what plants I've bought after all that researching because I went to Pets at Home :blush: there are two which I presume are Amazon swords, or similiar - other than that.. I'll find them later.

S73F9386.jpg

S73F9394.jpg

not the best camera, plus the flash is making the water look more unclear than it is..

-UPDATE-

Just done my first set of water readings:

pH - 7.2
Amonnia - 1.0 mg/l (ppm)
Nitrite - 0.0 mg/l (ppm)
Nitrate - 5.0 mg/l (ppm)

Day 5 - added some flame moss, two moss balls and a 'micromanthemum umbrosum', split the amazon sword (or whatever it is) up into smaller bunches and spread it out. The feathery plant seems to be taking off the best, noticeable growth since saturday. A little worried about the pinkish plant at the front, but we'll see.

S73F9432.jpg

S73F9431.jpg

**edit** ..later on at night, less reflection!

S73F9434.jpg

S73F9441.jpg

I know it has only been a few days, but I think I'm getting obsessed with their progress! I'm getting paranoid that they'll start dying off but I'll leave them be (no pun intended) it is a fresh tank afterall.

That looks really nice mate. Pets@home plants have always been good to me! Keep it coming, im watching.

First casualty to my return to fishkeeping :-( :no:

The plant to the left (foreground) pinky leaved one has distingerated. I'd been watching it go a bit brown over the past day or two and didn't fancy its chances and I've just gone in the room and it's all over the tank, tried to piece it back together in a bunch but as soon as you touch it it breaks to nothing. There was 1 stem which wasn't brown and so I've replanted that, on the right side now (perhaps it couldn't cope with the downward flow of water) but I'm not hopeful for the 1 remaining stem. Pity as it was a pretty colour :grr:

Feathery plant has died :no: :-( it looked like it was growing fast, but every stem had rotted and now its floating the tank, tried to get as much out as i can but its distingerating at the slightest touch! Not happy :no:

New plants, re aquascaped.. bit crowded!

S73F9496.jpg

bit blurred, but will do for now

S73F9482.jpg

S73F9490.jpg

I've been assured by the seller that the Borneo ferns are from a very credible aquatic plant grower and that they are suited to tanks, so we shall see :unsure:

Also, after seeing it so planted, I think it'd be a bit cruel to have corys in here.. there isn't much floorspace left after you equate for the rocks and plants, so my eventual stocking idea will need a rethink. Besides, only fair all the corys are together in the 5 footer! lol

Yeah perhaps, if anything I'd go for a clear mirrored background.. never been particularly keen on the full backgrounds - something minimal would be nice, thanks! :)

lookin good man. i love tanks with lots of plants. looks more natural by far

I think it looks really nice. I want mine to look something like that!

Can I ask, how so you split an Amazon Sword? Coz I like how it looks now you've done that!

Thanks guys :blush: :nod:

I added an SAE in on Saturday, (prematurely and foolishly of me I know after only 2 weeks worth of cycling! :no: ) but the brown algae was getting a major problem and the toxin levels were at 0 so I was naughty :p He's made good progress so far of cleaning the leaves but he aint touched the rock yet, lol.

Twinklecaz, the Amazon's I got were just clumped together in the terracotta pot, when I unpotted them they came apart so it wasn't my intention to seperate them around the back but it looked better afterwards than having 1 big bunch.

Try Pigmy corries if you really want some. It does look slightly small for bigger corries to be truely happy, mine used to dart around everywhere. Amazing little tank btw, love it, one thing I never really tried properly is planted.

- 03.04.10 -

We have a shoal! :blush: :shout: :hyper: Added 7 Red Eye Tetra

S73F9509.jpg

S73F9525.jpg

S73F9548.jpg

nom nom nom nom nom algae wafer nom nom nom nom :fun:

S73F9559.jpg

still havn't got around to getting a background, or to cutting the polysterene tiles down... or to moving the surge block to a safer location!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back