Ferg's Tanks

- 03.04.10 -

We have a shoal! :blush: :shout: :hyper: Added 7 Red Eye Tetra

S73F9509.jpg

S73F9525.jpg

S73F9548.jpg

nom nom nom nom nom algae wafer nom nom nom nom :fun:

S73F9559.jpg

still havn't got around to getting a background, or to cutting the polysterene tiles down... or to moving the surge block to a safer location!!

is that a SAE? it from that pic i cant see the black line extending to the tail

no, that's not a Siamese algae eater. it looks like a Chinese algae eater to me. they get aggressive when they get older and stop eating algae.

cheers :good:

no, that's not a Siamese algae eater. it looks like a Chinese algae eater to me. they get aggressive when they get older and stop eating algae.

Yes, Kill it/get rid of it before it destroys your tank.

Well, suprisingly I have not slayed my faux-SAE :grr: as for now he is doing a grand job of spring cleaning. I've had one in a community tank before and he never bothered anything, had it for about 5 years until there was an accident with the tank (dodgy heater :sad: :angry: ).

Bigger news is..... 5 FOOTER ARRIVES ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Whilst at work today I got a text from my mum 'Tank has arrived, it is huge'..

..I sensed that this wasn't a positive response, and it was hours later when I got home that I understand what she was saying. These ND Aquariums are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG that everytime I look at it I burst into a fit of hysterical laughing. It dwarfs the room, the sofas look like doll house furniture and I've no idea how I'm going to even aquascape it, let alone get it up and running :crazy:

I've been told I'm 'never ever to order anything off the internet ever again', my friends cannot understand why I've gone and bought something like this when I've still not even got a car or moved out from home. I won't ever be able to move out now because I have this and it is unmoveable when empty, let alone. The 9 weeks of anticipation for my tank are now filled with utter dread, and looking at it now I can't see how a few cory catfish and some serpaes are going to make it look worthwhile :shout:

Very nice new tank, and old tank for that matter :good:

Love the bigger tank in your living room, goes great with your decor! Hope to see it heavily planted soon :lol: :good:

Cheers

Awww man I am jelous! If you need rid of it can you get it to Hull :lol:

It will look better when its full, but to fill it with decor and plants etc is going to be expensive, have you heard of a site called aquarist classifieds? google it if not, its brill for second hand stuff and you can get good deals on rock and wood and plants etc quite easily in your area and i mean plants are postable.

Im not having a go but personally I think you rushed your small tank a bit with the cycle, I think youve been lucky with that one but I really think you should do a full fishless cycle on this tank. And once youve got a stocking plan and alsorts of other things planned just ask thousands of questions on here because if this tank goes wrong can you imagine how bad it will be having that massive tank there?

With the CAE, dont kill it that was a bit harsh to say really.... but yeah they have a bit of a reputation really some are fine but the majority go a bit mental at one point or an other....

Good luck with it :)

Wills

hi, if you intend to plant your tank heavily, then this topic may be of interest.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/299827-why-we-should-not-fishless-cycle-planted-tanks/

Thanks for all the comments and information! :good: Wills I completely agree with you, I was very foolish and impatient to rush in and thankfully I think 3 weeks for the small tank was pushing it for putting them in but they're happy and there has been no spikes (as yet) I think having so many plants in it is keeping on top of the nitrate.

This tank will not be rushed, it'll be impossible to rush it because I can't afford all the kit immediately..be a very long project to get going, I'll get the pump(s) and heater(s) asap and then it may be 2 months before I can afford the lights, so it'll be at least an 8 week fishless cycle, with no light to stop the algae bloom, then the planting is going to take a while so I'd guess it'll be mid July onwards that I even think about the fish.

The substrate is in now anyway along with resin mangrove roots and stones, I'll take pictures later when there's no reflections - my mum has warmed to it now and is calm, lol! :lol:

Hello,

I like the way your smaller tank turned out.

What is the plant in the left rear corner? It looks like it took off very well! Very pretty. I don't think it would fit in my tank... but if I could find a way and get it to take hold, I'm not against trimming!

I would love to have a big tank too... since we live on a lake I think I'd do that one with plants native to the lake we live on... of course with the added warmth and light of the Cube they'd probably take off like nuts!

Best Regards,

Ssjrr and family

cool :) I think you were okay with the small tank cycle as you got to the half way point and added one fish but the fishless cycle is aimed to let you get a full stock at the end which I guess raises some questions in its self as a statement but not sure how to judge it ..... anyway were off point now.

What i was going to say was make sure you check out aquarist classifieds lots of fluval fx5s all over the country for sale around 75-85 quid atm and as for heaters you can pick them up new for about £10 each now just for the glass ones but easily hidable :)

Wills

S73F9665.jpg

S73F9660.jpg

S73F9657.jpg

Sorry I didn't take your advice again, Wills.. but someone from work bought me a fish and I couldn't say no, so he's gone in before the water has :lol: doesn't seem to be bothering him, mind - he looks fair happy

The Fluval 405 just owned me :grr: lost about an inch of water onto the carpet because I hadn't put the rubber seal on correctly in.. furthermore there is water leaking from the base of the filter box, only drips but it soon builds up into a puddle :angry: so need to find something to fix it. I trimmed the Elodea densa in the 65 litre and chucked the ends in the big tank, there's no lighting in there so I can't see it doing out other than dying but it's worth a try rather than binning it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back