What's new

Favorite Books & Book Quotes

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
I don't remember any quotes from books I've read 😂 (well,besides the bible I suppose but that is getting kinda religious on the forum so I don't want to do that 😂)

This is tough. There are thousands of good books.

Fiction:
100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez;
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler;
Cathedral by Raymond Carver;
Honourable mentions to almost anything by Virginia Woolf, Flann O"Brien, Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro, Dashiell Hammett, and a whole lot of other writers.

I don't think fiction quotes out of context are that good. It's the overall work I think people should read - the big picture. In a fiction quote, if you don't know the characters or the works, they may have personal meaning but it doesn't always translate. It's harder work to read the whole thing, but higher reward. And for the OP, I have read the entire bible, even the begats, and there's some good stuff in there.

Non-fiction gets more quotable, but it's the same problem. I'd suggest anything by Carl Zimmer. He's good. Stephen Jay Gould was a brilliant writer.

For fish, the not very quotable 3 Atlas series by Baensch is a great foundation, and Dr W.T. Innes Exotic Aquarium Fishes is a great snapshot of our hobby 60 years ago, with a lot of baseline knowledge we can still profit from.

Any cartoon collection from Gary Larson.

There, see. You go to read about fish and all your Christmas shopping is taken care of.

I'm re-reading Edward Abbey's "The Monkey Wrench Gang" this week. Read "Desert Solitaire" last week.
Favorite quote ? It would take forever to pin down one but I like what Seldom Seen Smith tells George Washington Hayduke.
"Always cut fence . That's the law west of the hundredth meridian . East of that don't matter none . Back there it's all lost anyhow . But west , cut fence ."

Is cutting fence wire cutting, or wooden fence breaking back in the day?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back