Favorite Books & Book Quotes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've actually heard that said about Shakespeare - someone thinking he stole the quotations rather than being their source. I didn't get Shakespeare when I was first taught about him. In High School, I didn't get it. Now, I return to the plays and sonnets regularly - they are wonderful. We have dumbed down our vocabulary so much.

I've dealt with style guides for youth fiction, and the narrowness of the language you're allowed as an author is, well, very narrow. You aren't allowed to challenge the reader in any way, vocabulary-wise.

The Bible is not a bunch of strung-together quotations. It's a history book and a future book... Although so many hate it, and such great attempts have been made to destroy it, it has never been destroyed. It is the world's most translated book.

Why are you so against it if I may ask?
Nothing stirs people up like the Bible. Hebrew miqra , christain scriptures. Prophecy and Torah , Ketuvim and Nevi'im. Boy do I wish we could get into it but , alas , 'tis not to be on TFF.

The Bible is not a bunch of strung-together quotations. It's a history book and a future book... Although so many hate it, and such great attempts have been made to destroy it, it has never been destroyed. It is the world's most translated book.

Why are you so against it if I may ask?
That's a very literal reading of what I wrote, and reading like that gets you into misunderstandings. We use a lot of images and stories from the bible in everyday life. Most people don't know they're from the bible, just as they don't know the lines from Shakespeare are from... Shakespeare. Both are key writings in western culture, and I was being facetious about how people sometimes don't get where the expressions they use daily come from.

There are parts of the bible I quite like, just as there are plays by Shakespeare I like more than others. People love to jump to "hate" and "haters" these days, but that's silly, in my view. I've read the bible and am glad of it. How you choose to use it in modern life falls into religion, which is a taboo subject on the forum, and art, which is accepted as not nearly as political. But if you look at it like a book, as you started out the thread with the bible and Nancy Drew (I prefer the bible as a read), it would be very hard to read and enjoy the richness of western literature if you had no idea of the tales and myths constantly referenced by great authors, especially older ones. The King James translation into English was a starting point for a lot of our best written culture.

I like art museums. I can spend hours in them, and I marvel at the subjects and symbols chosen by people before the 1800s. If you haven't read the religious works, you won't know your Michael from your Zeus, and you'd be lost. It runs deep, and is very cool. Writing, painting, storytelling.

I keep wanting to get around to reading the Islamic holy books. I like the way many religions want their students to learn to read their books in the original languages they were written in, rather than via translation. But I was too lazy to learn German to read all the best aquarium books, let alone to learn Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Arabic and Latin for religious texts. So many books, so little time.

I've been on unmoderated sites that were complete flame rooms. Trust me, you don't want that.

Having that to read is worse than having no reading at all.

But I was too lazy to learn German to read all the best aquarium books, let alone to learn Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Arabic and Latin for religious texts. So many books, so little time.
That's why they invented "google translate" :lol:

That's a very literal reading of what I wrote, and reading like that gets you into misunderstandings. We use a lot of images and stories from the bible in everyday life. Most people don't know they're from the bible, just as they don't know the lines from Shakespeare are from... Shakespeare. Both are key writings in western culture, and I was being facetious about how people sometimes don't get where the expressions they use daily come from.
People love to jump to "hate" and "haters" these days, but that's silly, in my view.
The reader decides the meaning and not the writer, that is where misunderstandings are born. When you put it as you did it was especially easy to be misunderstood. :)
There are parts of the bible I quite like, just as there are plays by Shakespeare I like more than others.
I personally find Revelations to be one of the most fascinating books. So many people fear the doomsday book and then there is me lol. I have only read a bit of Shakespeare so cant say much about his works.
I've read the bible and am glad of it. How you choose to use it in modern life falls into religion, which is a taboo subject on the forum, and art, which is accepted as not nearly as political. But if you look at it like a book, as you started out the thread with the bible and Nancy Drew (I prefer the bible as a read), it would be very hard to read and enjoy the richness of western literature if you had no idea of the tales and myths constantly referenced by great authors, especially older ones. The King James translation into English was a starting point for a lot of our best written culture.
I like art museums. I can spend hours in them, and I marvel at the subjects and symbols chosen by people before the 1800s. If you haven't read the religious works, you won't know your Michael from your Zeus, and you'd be lost. It runs deep, and is very cool. Writing, painting, storytelling.
I would love to visit an art museum, but there are too many naked people lol.

I do think it is a good idea to be fully informed on all religions, if not for anything else but to at least know what people are talking about when the subject comes up.
I keep wanting to get around to reading the Islamic holy books. I like the way many religions want their students to learn to read their books in the original languages they were written in, rather than via translation. But I was too lazy to learn German to read all the best aquarium books, let alone to learn Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Arabic and Latin for religious texts. So many books, so little time.
It would be very intriguing to read the original books without translation.

I've been on unmoderated sites that were complete flame rooms. Trust me, you don't want that.

I was on a forum once that had a thing they called "The Flame Room". There were kids that said things I've never even thought to think. Unbelievable. No , you don't want that here.

I know but it would still be fun to have one little flame room. I like a good hot discussion lol. That would be so much work for the mods though, even a flame room needs a little bit of moderating and the mods are all volunteers. They are busy as it is, and the poor people don't need more things to worry about.

I was on a forum once that had a thing they called "The Flame Room". There were kids that said things I've never even thought to think. Unbelievable. No , you don't want that here.
I didn't mean a free for all, just a hotter topic forum but yea. It's best not to. The mods are already busy enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back