Emergency, fish dying.

I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone in the UK needed it urgently ;)

Ich-X is the safest Ich medication. It contains a milder form of malachite green. It is also safe for scaless fish. Cory with Aquarium Co/Op highly recommends it. I am using it along with heat and salt. All is fine. Just be sure you have extra oxygen going in tank with an air stone. I have an HOB and sponge filter Which provide plenty of aeration. On day 8 of all 3 treatments. Ich finally going away and fish doing well.

Ich-X contains malachite green. This is not "safe" depending upon one's definition of "safe." Even Hikari on their site state:

using a less toxic form of malachite green, which makes it less taxing on biological action and safe for scaleless and sensitive fish like Corydoras.​

They even admit that this product is "toxic" and "taxing" on biological action and fish. And what exactly does "safe for scaleless and sensitive fish like Corydoras" really mean? It means that the fish will be detrimentally impacted by this product. This adds stress, and given that stress is the direct cause of ich, I do not recommend increasing stress beyond what is absolutely necessary.

Heat is safer for such fish. Salt is safer for such fish. It is never "safe" to use any ich remedy no matter what the manufacturer--whose prime aim is to sell the product--says.

Waterlife Products like Myxazin, Cuprazin and Protozin are pretty good medications.
I haven't used them for years but I'm pretty sure Myxazin is for bacterial and fungal infections.
Cuprazin and Protozin are for external protozoan infections.

Protozin is for freshwater fish, Cuprazin for marine fish but yes, they are both for external protozoan infections.

@Colin_T Hi. So im almost at the end of the 2 weeks at 30 degrees and salt. I have treat the tank for internal bacteria. 3 fish stand out as very sick. Top of tank, rapid breating, very very very skinny like not eaten in weeks skinny. Other fish seem ok although the flashing is still happening accross the board. yoyo loach and barbs doing it. Seems the temp, anitbac and slt didnt work.

Whats next on the list? the 3 worst affected are now seperated.

Worms?

Thanks in advance

Have you seen worms in the tank? Do the fish near the surface have red marks near/on their gills?

Have you seen worms in the tank? Do the fish near the surface have red marks near/on their gills?
Hi. Not seen any sign of worms and no red gills. Could ich do this. I think over a period of 3 monhs 6 fish have died becasue of this. Not including these 3.

Hi. Not seen any sign of worms and no red gills. Could ich do this. I think over a period of 3 monhs 6 fish have died becasue of this. Not including these 3.
Ich will only make fish gasp if it is really severe and has had time to work its way into the lungs/gills. Do you see any small white spots, anywhere on your fish?

Ich will only make fish gasp if it is really severe and has had time to work its way into the lungs/gills. Do you see any small white spots, anywhere on your fish?
Hi These 3 fish have been sat at top of tank for a week not moving and breathing rapidly. Same with all that have dies in past.
I see no white spots anywhere.

Symptoms overall so far.
Fish get very skinny
Staying at top of tank
Other fish flashing against objects
Yoyo loaches all of a sudden went into hiding all 6 of them. Some got very skinny. the big one is same size but also hiding.

No idea, the only obvious symptoms are flashing and slowly wasting away one by one. Most of the fish seem totally fine except the odd flash. ITs the smaller ones who are dying. The bigger of each group seem ok.

Lack of oxygen can cause fish to swim near the surface. It may also be stress.

Do you have an airstone in the tank?

Do you have any type of aeration in the tank if not go out and get some because the same problem and it was because there was a lack of oxygen

Do you have any type of aeration in the tank if not go out and get some because the same problem and it was because there was a lack of oxygen
@PheonixKingZ

Iim using a spray bar that pumps lots of bubbles into tank right to bottom and an internal filter that is also on full airation. Plus 4 moss balls and live stem plants. The only fish who stay at the top are the ones that are dying. The rest are happy at all levels of the tank. I dont think its aeration. Why would that cause the fish to flash against objects and waste away/stop eating to waste away?

@PheonixKingZ

Iim using a spray bar that pumps lots of bubbles into tank right to bottom and an internal filter that is also on full airation. Plus 4 moss balls and live stem plants. The only fish who stay at the top are the ones that are dying. The rest are happy at all levels of the tank. I dont think its aeration. Why would that cause the fish to flash against objects and waste away/stop eating to waste away?
I think what might cause the fish to do that might be stress have you done anything recently to the tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back