Eheim 2217

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

azws6

Reaction score
Ok so my experience is the worse with my 2217 eheim classic lets hope u guys help me fix it.

So my problem is that it keeps sucking air in the intake hose and thus hindering its working capacity. If thay air gpt in the canister it becomes loud and unbearable.
What i do i get the suction bulb in the outake and push the air out while getting water in from the aquarium then run it back again. Next morning its the same thing basically every day or other day! I dont know where the air is coming from theres no visual leaks or anything. I tried priming it using different methods.
The method that works the best is to fill it with water and get all the air out, then fill the intake hose with water and plug it in while the outake valve is closed. This produces pressure when opened all the bubbles in the outake would leave. Sometimes i would have to repeat closing the valve and opening to get the air trapped inside the canister out.

Is there any way to know where the air is getting in from? Like test or something?
Is there a better way to prime it?
Is theere a specific way to connect the hoses together? (Hose to valve is as tight as i can get it without using any tools) but i mean intake hose to the hanging thingy U shaped?

Thanks in advance ive searched everywhere and nobody has a fix, just the appearant make sure your hoses arent leaking and o-ring is good and they are all good no leaks nothing.

If your filter outlet is near the intake, some air bubbles might be getting drawn into the filter. Make sure you have the filter outlet on the opposite side of the tank to the intake strainer.

Make sure there are no airstones or air operated ornaments near the intake for the filter.

Check all the hoses for tiny pin prick holes and make sure the hoses are fitted correctly.

Check all the plastic fittings for fractures or fine cracks.

Smear a thin layer of Vaseline over the o-ring to help it seat correctly.

-----------------------
The easiest way to get external power filters working is to set them up and have the intake hose in the tank. Put the outlet hose in a bucket next to the filter. Suck on the outlet hose (try not to swallow any water) and let the filter fill up and when water starts flowing into the bucket, put your thumb over the outlet and put it in the tank. Then turn the filter on and gently rock it a couple of times to help dislodge trapped air bubbles.

Quite frankly the primers they use for external filters are rubbish. Just my opinion, sorry :)

If your filter outlet is near the intake, some air bubbles might be getting drawn into the filter. Make sure you have the filter outlet on the opposite side of the tank to the intake strainer.

Make sure there are no airstones or air operated ornaments near the intake for the filter.

Check all the hoses for tiny pin prick holes and make sure the hoses are fitted correctly.

Check all the plastic fittings for fractures or fine cracks.

Smear a thin layer of Vaseline over the o-ring to help it seat correctly.

-----------------------
The easiest way to get external power filters working is to set them up and have the intake hose in the tank. Put the outlet hose in a bucket next to the filter. Suck on the outlet hose (try not to swallow any water) and let the filter fill up and when water starts flowing into the bucket, put your thumb over the outlet and put it in the tank. Then turn the filter on and gently rock it a couple of times to help dislodge trapped air bubbles.

Quite frankly the primers they use for external filters are rubbish. Just my opinion, sorry :)

Output cant reach the opposite its sitting like 30cm away airstone is under the output too.

Will try that vaseline thing and probably disassemble everything and assemble again and see.

Can i smear vaseling between connections of the hoses? Will that help to seal in some way?

When all done will try to prime it that way.

Vaseline on the hose fittings won't make much difference. It's usually the o-ring or air getting drawn into the intake tube from air bubbles floating around the tank.

If you have an airstone under the filter outlet, the airbubbles might be getting pushed back into the tank by the filter outlet. Try turning the airpump off for 24 hours and see if it makes any difference. Or put the airstone on the other side of the tank so it is not near the filter outlet.

Vaseline on the hose fittings won't make much difference. It's usually the o-ring or air getting drawn into the intake tube from air bubbles floating around the tank.

If you have an airstone under the filter outlet, the airbubbles might be getting pushed back into the tank by the filter outlet. Try turning the airpump off for 24 hours and see if it makes any difference. Or put the airstone on the other side of the tank so it is not near the filter outlet.

Will do and see what heppens

Will do and see what heppens
Ok so what i did was smeared vaseline on the o ring and inside one of the hoses that i suspected.
As for the priming i tried to lower the output lower into a large bucket etc but the stream was soooo weak it wouldnt get the air out. So i went and did my regular by filling the canister and plugging it in while using suction on the output. When its silent i shook the canister a bit and redid the suction thing using a suction bulb.
Its been overniggt and so far no air!! Tyvm Colin. Since the filter is working as it should be hopefully water quality starts to improve.
Oh and a big water change.
Thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back