Dwarf gourami ate all floater plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My tank currently had 5 corys, 2 otos and 7 neon tetras.
Added a dwarf gourami a couple of days ago, a surprise gift from a family member who found out I had the tank, and thankfully it seems it's a good match for all the other fish.

However, I had water sprite and some other plant I don't know the name of, but this guy decimated them! I feed them all bug bites, flakes, and wafers for the bottom feeders. 2 times a day.
He goes for both the flakes and the bug bites with gusto, but even right after eating that he goes back to the plants and keeps picking at them, and eating the leaves. He literally nearly wiped them all in a matter of days.

I've even tried some small insect larvae (can't remember the name, bought it at petco) and he doesn't pay any attention to them. At all.

I took the few stalks that survived and hope I can get them to grow again, but I want to hear your opinion about what can I do. I've read these guys like floating sections for their own good, but this guy just munches thru his hideout like I'm starving him. Am I?

I'll ad pics later.
Thanks.

You could try to satisfy its "green needs" by feeding cooked / blanched lettuce and spirulina / algae wafers.

Attachments

• 20220128_161141.jpg
    20220128_161141.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220128_161142.jpg
    20220128_161142.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 57
This is something similar to what I feed my fish:
He doesn't care for spinach at all, but seems to go for lettuce.
Still, I guess he's a hungry one, he's now going to the bottom to get on the action on the wafers for the bottom feeders, and still occasionally is nipping at the sprite, though not as much.

Completely ignores the drosophila I'm dropping, almost like he doesn't see them on the surface.

He's a quirky dude. Or girl, have no clue. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20220129_123151.jpg
    20220129_123151.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 47

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back