Does My Betta Have Fin Rot?

eslingerl10

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am fairly new to this hobby (about 3-4 months in), and I've begun my hobby by purchasing a 3 gallon half-moon tank with a whisper filter and a heater to keep the water at 78 degrees. I figured this would be the best environment for my Crowntail Betta after I did some research saying not to keep him in a bowl or an unfiltered tank.

Anyway, I love this tank and I love caring for my fish! I am about halfway through the cycling process, but I noticed that something may be wrong with my betta. I'm not sure if his fins are experiencing fin rot or if they're even damaged at all, but they're concerning enough that I decided to join this forum and see what everyone else has to say about my fish. I also plan to use this forum to learn more about fish-keeping in general.

I attached a picture of my fish; could someone please tell me if my baby is damaged?? I want to help him before it gets too far 
no.gif

Thank you!!

IMG_3298 (1).JPG

What Others Need to Know to Help You

When posting a request for help can you please include the following info

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Tank size: 3 gallons
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 2 ppm
nitrate: 5 ppm
tank temp: ~76-78 degrees F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Black marks on back fins towards the top of the fins, fish is acting normal (swimming around, exploring, eats quickly when fed), the picture shows he's blue with red tips towards the bottom.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% water changes every other day.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Dechlorinator

Tank inhabitants: Just him

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None recent.. the plants in there were there when I set it up.

Exposure to chemicals: None

No new fish were added recently

Update: I just performed a 100% water change since I read that keeping fish in supremely clean water when their fins are damaged will help them heal.

Agree wholeheartedly with the water change.

Do you have any plastic plants?
 I found out about when researching for my fantail Guppies that some plastic plants can actually snag on and tear their fins.

One site recommended dragging any artificial plants across pantyhose to see it it was safe.

The reasoning was that if the plant snagged on the hose, it could do the same with the fins of a guppy (or Betta in this case.)

Imo, 3 gallons for one betta is fairly heavily stocked, although doable.

If it were my tank I'd be doing about 70% when I changed the water.
Don't forget to unplug the heater, I've had one explode when I forgot.

Jeremy180 said:
Agree wholeheartedly with the water change.

Do you have any plastic plants?
 I found out about when researching for my fantail Guppies that some plastic plants can actually snag on and tear their fins.

One site recommended dragging any artificial plants across pantyhose to see it it was safe.

The reasoning was that if the plant snagged on the hose, it could do the same with the fins of a guppy (or Betta in this case.)

Imo, 3 gallons for one betta is fairly heavily stocked, although doable.

If it were my tank I'd be doing about 70% when I changed the water.
Don't forget to unplug the heater, I've had one explode when I forgot.

There are a few plastic plants in there. The first thing I did when I took the water out was felt the plants to see if they were sharp. They were actually really smooth. I haven't thought to drag them on pantyhose though! I'll have to try that.

The reason why I chose 3 gallons is because I'm currently in college and can't have any tank larger. I know that bettas should be in minimum 5 gallons by themselves, and I would definitely do that, but I was willing to take on the challenge of a smaller tank. 
good.gif

Thank you for the tip! I'll try and do 70% water changes from now on.

You're welcome!
(you have a lovely boy there, BTW.)
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Back