Do These Cycle Boosters Actually Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So what your saying is;

Its impossible for us to prove our results scientifically, so you can instantly write it all off and say this stuff doesn't work.
Therefore this thread is pointless, as nothing can be proven.

OR

You could back away from the scientifical, and let individual results be allowed for analysis between normal fishkeepers and allow people to come to the conclusion of whether it works or not?
Comprende?

No...

It is impossible as an individual to conclude anything unless you do many repeats. However it is possible that if everyone who wanted to test this did it properly, that you could all combine your results to come to a scientifically based, reliable conclusion.

Or

You could tell people yours worked (which is a lie as you have no proof that it worked, all you observed was that you underwent a cycle faster than usual) but because you make it sound like a proper experiment people (who already WANT to believe the product worked) go out and buy it. Stock their tanks straight away and end up with dead fish.
When the proper conclusion should be, my single bottle seemed to work, but as I had no control I can't say for certain if it was the bottle or if perhaps I had other contributing factors. Such as decor, high ambient levels of bacteria in the water... etc.

Scientifical analysis doesn't always prove true.

absolute class! and proves the point of our wasting our time answering you. you now say science is wrong, because it does not back you up?

however i must warn you. if you post suggesting this stuff actually works, in future. the same sort of thread will follow. you cannot pass on your fault/unsubstantiated, views as fact to others. especially as a cycle is not that big of a price to pay, to start good fishkeeping.

Ok well, I provided some form of proof, I gave tank readings from a tank I set up with it.
I didn't want to get in a big debate about it, I was simply supplying what was asked for in the original post.

And that was that, I didn't push my conclusion on to anyone else, and I didn't say that i proved anything.

So on that basis, how about you cut me some slack and #########

<edited by Bignose, it was obvious what was under the *'s, and it is NOT acceptable>

The question was do they work... but your answer isn't yes (even though you seem to think it is). The most you can honestly say is 'My one bottle seems to have worked but there were no controls so it could've been something else that sped up the cycle'.

This is the only reason people are disagreeing with you. It's not personal, so if you could refrain from swearing that'd be nice... as it's really not been called for.

At what point did I say "yes it definately works"

I gave my own personal results, and basically said it seems to be working for me.

And then you two basically attacked me like a pair of forum trolls, So i feel my response was acceptable. If you don't like it, report me, and i'll kindly defend my case in consideration of the above posts.

Your starred out swearing doesn't bother me personally. It's the fact it's on a family forum that anyone can look at that botheres me. I do personally think you should change your post to remove it... but there we go.

And it is an over reaction, you were trying to say that what you have seen concluded or prooved something. All we were explaining was why it didn't, which is what you refused to accept and then seem to have taken personally.

Your starred out swearing doesn't bother me personally. It's the fact it's on a family forum that anyone can look at that botheres me. I do personally think you should change your post to remove it... but there we go.

And it is an over reaction, you were trying to say that what you have seen concluded or prooved something. All we were explaining was why it didn't, which is what you refused to accept and then seem to have taken personally.

Go back and reread my posts. For the last time I havent mentioned anywhere about it being conclusive and I haven't attempted to prove anything.

You have turned this thread into a heated debate by basically telling anyone who posts results that they are instantly pointless, and have in my eyes trolled the thread. This will be my last post in here, as I concede.
I came in here to add some personal results and to find out what luck others had had. But you have completely ruined it, and now this post has descended to this.

Simply put. I can't be bothered. Well done, give yourselves a clap on the back, you've wasted my time, wasted your time, and made this entire thread pointless, when all it was is someone trying to find some information. Well done you.

T'ra. Sheesh.

can we please keep this civil!

tis a great debate, lets not end it with swearing please.

I for one would like to see the results of any test. I think its better than nothing, which is the ammount of proof i have got at the mo. We are not writing a scientific journal so no need for the 'this is inaccurate' caveats - im just interested in peoples experiences whether good or bad

Edit: and i believe this was the OP's thoughts as well

I for one would like to see the results of any test. I think its better than nothing, which is the ammount of proof i have got at the mo. We are not writing a scientific journal so no need for the 'this is inaccurate' caveats - im just interested in peoples experiences whether good or bad

Edit: and i believe this was the OP's thoughts as well

i to would like to see the results of the test
i agree it is better than nothing
if these things don't work why do
they sell them there must be something
in it some people say they do some say they don't
so let's try and weigh up the pros and cons
of the filter start up fluids

But the point you're missing is that if one person in a hundreds seems to work... so what. You DO have plenty of evidence, and ways to get new evidence. I think there is a thread on here with a poll showing people who've used it and their thoughts. There are also plenty of reviews and the such on other sites.

One persons 'results' doesn't make a difference. If one person concluded that actually we exert downwards pressure on the earth and actually gravity was a force pulling is away from the earth would it cause you to question whether gravity is correct?
Because that to you is as silly a thing to say as you saying to me that one persons 'results' count for anything with respect to 'do these cycle boosters work'. Cause I can answer that easily...

Do these cycle boosters work...

Some seem too, these are in the vast minority and this reflects the basic scientific principles that underly bacterial life. No one product, except with perhaps birospira, has even seemed to have enough success for it to be worth promoting it as an aid to cycle. Too many people will just end up with dead fish or fish in cycle situations.

The only real, reliable, way to cycle a tank is with a boost from filter gunk or media.

Most reactions

trending

Back